Yzerfontein Airstrip?

Fly-in destinations and airfield information - also use this forum to make contact with people in other areas
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Yzerfontein Airstrip?

Postby gertcoetzee » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:02 pm

I spotted this airfield at the Yzerfontein / R27 junction - anyone have any idea who it belongs to, and more importantly whether I will be shot at if I land there?
Attachments
Field at Yzerfontein.JPG
Field at Yzerfontein.JPG (69.71 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:36 am

Gert

I knew the previous owner. I hangared my trike there for a couple of months before finally getting a hangar at Saldanha. Current owner is or was a pilot for CHC or National Airlines - unfortunately don't know his name. Strip is very short - there was a bad trike crash there about two years ago. Maybe Johann Fronemann will know who owns it now.

Cheers

Sebastian

P.S. I don't think you will be shot at!
klaas
Signed up at flight school

Yzerfontein

Postby klaas » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:17 pm

Nearly went farming after severe down draft behind hanger , friendly couple, tee and cookies for shock.
Bacchus
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby Bacchus » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:59 pm

I see it is a very old post, but yes, i was with klaas the day he nearly went farming there. Nice people, but strip is very short. There is also a mak boerbok and a dog that follows each other around and the minute they hear an aircraft, they are on that short strip! Ask Shane from wintervogel, he had a battle just the other day to get all the animals from the runway! We kept an eye from above and had a few chuckles whatching him chasing " die bok" around!
ZU-GFC COBRA