Leeuwenboschfontein

Fly-in destinations and airfield information - also use this forum to make contact with people in other areas
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Leeuwenboschfontein

Postby Biggles » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:47 pm

Looking at places to go for Easter and thinking of trailering the trike up to a place called Leeuwenboschfontein. More renound for the 4x4 trail, but they have an airstrip and welcome microlighters. Its sits S33 33' and E20 00'

Anyone been there or can comment on it?
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:45 pm

trailering the trike
Huh? Did you say trailering?

Coordinates (google earthed)
33°33'45.07"S
19°59'25.70"E

See http://www.leeuwenboschfontein.co.za

Count me in! (since I have had no takers for me Eastern expedition)
Attachments
Leeuwenboschfontein.jpg
Leeuwenboschfontein - less than 83m from Fisantekraal!
Leeuwenboschfontein.jpg (71.8 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:21 pm

Trailering due to logistical concerns (softness) might fly back though. All welcome, only camping spots left and they are going quickedly!!

Gert you have a PM
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
V
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby V » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:11 am

Hmm, sounds very tempting. Unfortunately I'm going to be out of the country from the beginning of April until mid-May, but please let me know if the conditions turn out not favourable and you decide to postpone the trip until after mid-May ...

Cheers,

V.
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:19 pm

V

Looks like we keep missing each other!! I am in country April to beginning of may!!

I will give a detailed report when I get back. By the sounds of things this could be that perfect destination for a fly away/ camping trip. I have been to the area and looks like a nice place to do some aerial sightseeing. Close to robertson aswell.

Will see what the conditions are like and I may fly back to FAFK.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:42 pm

Things are slow at work the last couple of days so decided to plan this trip by air.

Now GertC you do make it look very simple with that straight line. A few questions to the people that have flown over the berg:

What would be the best route? There are two that I can see the first and most obvious would be along the N1 du Tiots kloof pass. Then to Robertson and over the beg to the Leeuwenboschfontein. Simple BUT the DuTiots valley is quite long with no-where to put down.

The second is up the franschoek valley over Theewaters Kloof dam and along the valley to Worster then Roberson and on to Leeuwenboschfontein. This route is longer but over alot more friendly terrian.

And FAD 159 is that still in force? Jeppesson has it as a helicopter training area.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Biggles,

Nope, it will not be a straight line. That is just to entice you. Now that you are considering it, here are the options.

1) Fly to the Tulbach gap, over the "skurweberge" (and believe me, at 6500ft looking down they do indeed look skurf), and glide down to Ceres. Then along and up the valley to Inverdoorn, where, if you are as lucky as we were when we went to Tanqua, ze girl wif ze eastern accent will offer you cooldrink ja? Then either over those mountains, or around them - not done it, will decide when I look at them. By the looks of it, one can head east around the "Bontberg", towards Touwsrivier and then get back on track.

2) Fly over Wellington, past Groenberg, and then over Worcester. It is actually not so daunting. Once you are at the top of Slanghoekberg, you can see all the way to Worcester, and in my mind I am within gliding distance of a first aid kit. I've never landed at Worcester, just press on for Robertson (remember you are flying through D157). The Gap towards Montague is a bit daunting, we flew under dem clouds and above dem rocks there on our way back from Assegaaibos, and at Montague there is a landing strip (which I have not landed on). From there over the Waboomsberge, or maybe around them to Leeuenbosch. Having driven the route from Montague up those mountains, the lack of landing faclities in "Die Koo" will make me wanna p...well you get the idea.

Come to think of it, one can make a straight line from Worcester over the Langberg as well, the highers peak there is the Keeromsberg @6800ft. Will be bloody cold if we need to put some air between us and the mountains.

How's that? When are we going?
Attachments
route.jpg
route.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:42 pm

Gert. I think franschoek would be the nicest and safest. Or the Tulbagh gap along the valley to Worster, then robertson, leeuw. Don't fancy long stretches over mountains.

I am planning to go on the 6 April. Softness is the ground crew and will have the trailer incase of bad weather, ect. Flying up the 6th back on the 10th. We could go up together and you could solo it back the next morning. I would supply braai vleis and beer!!
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:34 pm

Weekend of 6th not good for me. The weekend of 29-03?

If you want to go to Worcester, then no need to go via Tulbach Gap, go straight over Wellington (past Groenberg). I have spend some time in the valley south of Tulbach, and believe me you don't want to be there in a southerly. Like swimming upstream in a sewer. Lotsaturbulentshite.

If you go over Franchoek mountains you have to go over Villiersdorp to worcester (mountains on either side, a funnel if there is a southerly) or over the Riviersonderend and Langeberge.

I think Tulbach Gap - Ceres - Leeu

Other's thoughts?
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:31 pm

Sorry gert, only getting back into the country on the 4th.

Did not see the Wellington gap. That would definitely make the best crossing and i take your point on the Villiersdorp valley in a southerly. Thanks for the input.

Anyone else with words of wisdom?
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:21 pm

The TMA is at FL85 there and the highest peak is 5500ft so 8000ft over the berg? Thats high. Might be testing out that butterfly feeling!!!
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP