Looking for Cape Town Trike adventure

Fly-in destinations and airfield information - also use this forum to make contact with people in other areas
TexasTriker512
Looking at the sky

Looking for Cape Town Trike adventure

Postby TexasTriker512 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Hello All,

My friends and I will be spending a few days in Cape Town, and I am wanting to treat them (and myself !) to some CT triking (30-45 minute flights). I myself am a low-hour pilot. The other 3(2 US, one from Praetoria) are newbies.

We will be in CT from Jan 28-Feb 1.

I am looking for available airtime and equipment (1 or 2 trikes, at least), in the Cape Town area.

I hope to firm up the plans when we arrive in CT, Jan 27..

Regards,
Mark Hill

hillmar at gmail
US cell phone 512 633 4191
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:07 am

Mark get a hold of Gert Coetzee sure he can help you he is on the forum.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:14 pm

I emailed you
Greg Perkins
TexasTriker512
Looking at the sky

Trike adventure folloeup..

Postby TexasTriker512 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:36 am

Hello, just returned from SA and I thought I'd post a short followup..

I had corresponded with the folks at La Mercy (David and Annette) and they put together a 3 day/2 night XC trip.

Annette and I flew almost 600 miles, starting at La Mercy, flying up the coast to Richard's Bay for refuel/pee. Then we turned inland and flew to the Ithala Game park for an overnight. I was surprised and pleased to see warthogs running next to up as we rounded out..

Took off next AM headed form Ladysmith for Petes' farm, but wx was cloudy and misty on the ground. We flew above the cloud at 8500', wow was that fantastic! We found a hole in the clouds over the Ladysmith airport, so we spiral dove through it, watching the ground the whole time..

Another refuel/coffee/etc and flew to Dragon's Peak resort at the base of the Drakkensberg mts.

Had to wait until nearly 10AM the next day b/c of cloud. We were getting beaten up pretty badly un the clouds so we went up top.. Made a beeline for the coast, then down the beach to the La Mercy field.. Landed with stiff winds.. Interesting.. And, we had nearly a full liter of fuel left! ;-)

I added 10.5 hours to my XC time and had a fantastic time, learned and saw a LOT.

La Mercy folks, if you're reading this, thank you!! and good luck in the future.

Mark Hill
Austin Tx.