875 Airfields database in a TXT file

Fly-in destinations and airfield information - also use this forum to make contact with people in other areas
dawid
Signed up at flight school

875 Airfields database in a TXT file

Postby dawid » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:49 am

I have a database of 875 airfields all across South Africa. The database origenated with Jan and Elzabè Coetzee with their book called "Microlight airfields in South Africa" and there was added to it and deleting from it in the meantime as old airfields were abandoned and new ones came to life.
It is still a good idea to buy the book because the contact details of the airfield owners is in there and there is information like petrol availability and runway lengths and directions plus more.

This txt file is made by Org Jansen van Rensburg and it is talor made to work with the program PocketFMS (Pocket Flight Management System) which is a brilliant navigational program that runs on a PC or Pocket PC. It includes maps and airspace info and does your route for you like a garmin gps when connected to a bluetooth or serial gps. The difference is that it is free and updated regulary, for example it already had the new shape of the Lanseria airspace 2 months ago.
It is very usefull in the air showing the map, direction to your waypoint, distance to your waypoint, your current direction, the distance that you are off the original course, altitude and ground speed on one easy to understand screen.

The reason for this post is to make pilots aware of the database in the txt file and the free program that can be obtained at www.pocketfms.com and to get help from every one to let me know of changes like airfields that should be added or deleted.

First download PocketFMS and install it, also sponser them if you will.
Then just copy the txt file into your My Documents/PocketFMS folder and open the program, you'll be amazed at how many airfields there are all around you.

To ge the txt file, open www.jagair.co.za/waypoints.txt , then go to "file" "save as" and save the list of waypoints as "waypoints" in the txt format. Your defualt options should do the trick.
Last edited by dawid on Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dawid Bredenkamp
ZU-CKC
083 251 8315
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:45 pm

I use FMS. It great... (free....) Beware of the ocianic download. It is a huge file and not necessary unless you going to Madagascar... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Thunderboy
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thunderboy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:54 pm

Thanks have done so
Thunderbird ZU-ECX
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:57 pm

I'm really doff. Is this compatable with the Garmin 96C?
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
bobhallo
Looking at the sky

Re: 875 Airfields database in a TXT file

Postby bobhallo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Does this airfield database TXT file, web site still exists "www.jagair.co.za/waypoints.txt" ?
The web site states the page cannot be found.
I would really like to get a copy of this file.
And http://www.pocketfms.com does not seem to be free any more !

Thanks Bobhallo
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:27 pm

Besides this thread being posted in 2006, does anyone know if it is still available. Also the jagair link is lost so presume it's old.
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Now seems to cost 150 euro - eish.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:33 am

Stephan van Tonder wrote:Now seems to cost 150 euro - eish.

I played with PocketFMS for a while, even bought it, but to be honest it does not have a patch on our own local EasyCockpit !

I found PocketFMS quite buggy and slow with less local content than Easycockpit. The EasyCockpit maps are also a lot more detailed and after initial purchase it works out a lot cheaper to stay updated.

The PocketFMS licensing is a nightmare, took the guys on that side DAYS to get mine working, eventually they had to "Jippo" it to get it to work......
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
weedy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby weedy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:45 am

I have just bought Easycockpit, waiting delivey of the CD. The annual fees to keep PocketFMS working seems rediculous when converted into Bucks.

I plan to use it on a car GPS like the Mio that is windows CE based, nice big screen and a lot cheaper than the HP PDA's
Claude
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:07 pm

weedy wrote:I have just bought Easycockpit, waiting delivey of the CD. The annual fees to keep PocketFMS working seems rediculous when converted into Bucks.

I plan to use it on a car GPS like the Mio that is windows CE based, nice big screen and a lot cheaper than the HP PDA's
Hi Weedy,

Is everything up and running? Would you recommend the Mio with Easycockpit?
Thinus Enslin
Potchefstroom (FAPS)
ZU-CML
Sycamore MK1 - Hilux of the gyros
Would love a RV10 though...
kleva
Signed up at flight school

Postby kleva » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi All

Have a small handheld backup GPS which was not designed for aviation primarily, but has proven its worth a few times as a reasonable backup. A basic Garmin Etrex H (under R2k at most places, have even seen for under R1.5k). Now by itself it is not useful, but I started using it with the Airport directory and manually adding the places on route... Then I came across the following 2 pieces of FREE software:

EasyGPS - http://www.easygps.com (I have seen this site noted elsewhere on this site) - Free GPS Waypoint and route software.
Navaid.com - http://navaid.com/GPX/ (select the aviation settings you want in GPX format and download it to a basic GPS. Although not guarenteed, I have tested a few sites, even outside of SA, and they are damn close enough for VFR use (wouldn't trust it for IFR though, but in emergency something is better than nothing).

As a cheap backup system this has proved invaluable. This is not suggested to replace any proper aviation GPS, but carrying a cheap backup GPS (for under R2k) that can run without A/C power is a brilliant safety plan... With 500 Airfields loaded for most of Africa (only sites that I feel comfortable landing on > 400m) and being able to add the odd local private field ness through the same software, definately is a bargain.

My reason for chosing the Etrex H, is that it has a rudimentry altimetre built in, which can also give a reasonable idea of Height above sea level of Airfields & Climb/Decent rates as well as being flexible regarding Units (Nautical Miles, Statute Miles, Knots, Feet, Ft/min, Metres, etc).

Carrying a portable handheld backup radio is also not a bad idea, but very few seem to do it. Maybe just my IT background, but I beleive in backups...

Be safe
Kleva

PS: No, I don't work for a GPS sales company - he he... This is an unsolicited recommendation....
My landings are the reason my instructor wakes up screaming every morning!
Koevoet
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby Koevoet » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:15 pm

To ge the txt file, open www.jagair.co.za/waypoints.txt , then go to "file" "save as" and save the list of waypoints as "waypoints" in the txt format. Your defualt options should do the trick.

Was nuuskierig ma die link het niks.
Nothing is impossible in life.
Very happy Scout Piloooot
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... p_activity
bobhallo
Looking at the sky

Postby bobhallo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi, does someone have a copy of this "www.jagair.co.za/waypoints.txt"
As this site does not work.

Tks Bobhallo