Pilot's Dream Location?

Fly-in destinations and airfield information - also use this forum to make contact with people in other areas
ForensicFlyer
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Pilot's Dream Location?

Postby ForensicFlyer » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:23 pm

Hey all!

Me agian...

Now I have another question...

Due to the fact that my job (accident investigation) takes me all over South Africa on a regular basis, I have been considering a possible (vaguely possible) re-location to Bloemfontein, in order to be able to go anywhere in the least time (response-basis)...

This will enable me to go practically anywhere in minimum time - possibly even fly there...

So - from THAT perspective, I have to ask - what is flying like in and around Bloem?

And, since we're on the topic of re-location - where is the BEST place to stay in South Africa, from a pilot's perspective?

Now - I can almost hear it: "What kind of flying?"

I am now specifically referring to weather, flight opportunities (good, ideal weather, considering micro-lights), interesting destinations in the vicinity, etc.

If I am vaguely considerg a possible re-locate, and since I am looking towards getting my license and plane anyway, why not consider my "flying needs" as well?

Any suggestions, thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks again!

Stan.
Stan Bezuidenhout
IBF Investigations South Africa
"I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!"
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:55 pm

Stan

If you are going to have to rely on airlines then I wouldn't call Bloem the hub. You are going to be limited in flights, especially to other centres other than JHB. I know for example CT only has one direct SAA flight to Bloem in the morning and one returning in the afternoon. Outside that you have to route via JHB. The ideal hub to fly from is JHB.

If you are talking about flying to the various sites yourself then yes, it does make sense being closer to JHB purely because more of the work is there and almost central for other calls.

Lastly, this is the free state, apart from very beautiful girls (Bloem is a varsity town you see) there is very little else to look at, although you are close to the Drakensberg.

Negatives about Bloem, extremely cold in the winter, and can get horrifically hot in the day (big thermals)
Greg Perkins
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:12 pm

COAST (but will need IF rating).

Went to school in Bfn. City with a small town feel. Nothing is far away and (most) are friendly. Nice poppies as mentioned. Not alot there other than that. Flying WX north and west is better (Northern Cape and Kalahari). Agree if gonna use airlines BFN is not the ideal place. Few flights and expensive. eg... Short notice (3 days) for family from Jhb to Bfn return was R4900. Same timeframe return fight to CT was less than half.
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:28 pm

Drakensburg..., but maybe after next week, Hazyview.....!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:32 pm

Morph wrote:...Lastly, this is the free state, apart from very beautiful girls (Bloem is a varsity town you see) there is very little else to look at...
Wrong! The Cheetas and DJ Rassie are there!
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:54 pm

Duck Rogers wrote:
Morph wrote:...Lastly, this is the free state, apart from very beautiful girls (Bloem is a varsity town you see) there is very little else to look at...
Wrong! The Cheetas and DJ Rassie are there!
Hoor Hoor...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died