New airfield?

Fly-in destinations and airfield information - also use this forum to make contact with people in other areas
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

New airfield?

Postby DieselFan » Mon May 29, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi all

In terms of an airfield for ML's what lengths of runway are required ie min / recommended? Is there any legislation for having one, even if hangars are to be built?

Thanks
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Wed May 31, 2006 7:16 am

Perhaps this will help...my father is in the process of buying some land, I asked if it were big enough for a airstrip - problem is I don't know what big enough is?

Thanks
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Wed May 31, 2006 8:09 am

I would say safely that at least 400m in the prevailing wind direction for a runway. I know the strip at Rietfontein is about 250m but longer is always better!

It is private land, unless the neighbours have a inborn hatred of aircraft I doubt you will have much problems from the authorities.

Is there any big airports around? Industrial sites? etc? These might have FAP's and FAD's.
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Wed May 31, 2006 8:51 am

Thanks for replying DH! It's out in the farm lands kinda close to Petit. I was thinking of a cross runway of 400m. Or a triangle like Microland although I'm not sure of Microlands length...

Would it be as simple as mowing a flat 400m cross strip, put up one or two wind socks and painted frequency and there you go an airstrip?

Who chooses the frequency and can I use a neighbouring one?
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Wed May 31, 2006 8:55 am

Use the neighbouring frequency? It is a private strip and just use the frequency of the surrounding airspace.

I have been to very few fields where the frequency is painted on the ground but more info is always better!

Yes, it is as easy as just mowing the grass - but depends on the soil? is there lots of rocks? or is it smooth? What do you plan to fly there? Trike's aren't to fussy, other aeries I cannot comment on!
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Wed May 31, 2006 9:21 am

DarkHelmet wrote:Use the neighbouring frequency? It is a private strip and just use the frequency of the surrounding airspace.

I have been to very few fields where the frequency is painted on the ground but more info is always better!

Yes, it is as easy as just mowing the grass - but depends on the soil? is there lots of rocks? or is it smooth? What do you plan to fly there? Trike's aren't to fussy, other aeries I cannot comment on!
Are airfields like Petit and Microland private too? If not how do I obtain their status and whats the difference :oops:

Must check the soil out...

My aim is for all ultralights - or anything that can land in 400m, not sure if the area needs another strip tho...but am planning on having hangar space too.

Perhaps I should do a simple survey with neighbours in terms of noise etc?
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Wed May 31, 2006 9:32 am

Longer is better ;) And yes - most definately speak to the neighbours!
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Wed May 31, 2006 10:10 pm

Hi Dieselfan,

If it is close to Petit, better check out where that land is in relation to Jo'burg International, before you plough any money into the project. If the land is within the Jo'burg CTR you might have a problem. Petit is very close to the CTR. Rather speak to somebody knowledgeable from ATNS.

Regards,
Arnulf

p.s. The guys at ATNS get very annoyed with people that think ATNS stands for All Talk and No Service. Fortunately nobody of the Microlighting fraternity is of that opinion. :lol:
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:46 am

Also chat to the guys at Petit. If it on Jhb side of Petit you have a problem. Agree with Demon not worth the SH!T. Keep it small. Chat to FAWGie regarding the indemnity form (no point in reinventing the wheel). I know the residents to the south of Petit are sometimes difficult and base legs are flown almost in line with threshold.

Good luck with it... :wink:
Attachments
2526_JOHANNESBURG_2ed_1998.JPG
2526_JOHANNESBURG_2ed_1998.JPG (46.62 KiB) Viewed 2414 times
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:01 am

Whats the definition of a private af? How many is "very small and very private"?

The motivation isn't from a money making business perspective more from a ML community one.

Demon you mention a 300-400m runway would be fine, if only one was made would that be ok? I mean Petit has one LONG one, but Microland 3 short ones.

Thanks for all the replies, tips and advice!!!
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:04 am

Better to have 3 short ones when wind is issue. Most heavier aeries have high X wind components and thus just land a bit faster (and use more runway) when wind from side. Most ML fields have more shorter runways to cater for the winds..... In the old days they used to have a big round field (thus airfield) with a couple windsocks and you simply landed into the wind. :wink: There was no single runway :shock: . Similar situation when you land on some of the pans in the Kalahari.... :lol:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
FAWGie
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FAWGie » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:38 am

Don't forget to take field elevation into account......coast vs inland....coastal strips can be shorter....