JUST STARTING - SOLO - WHAT A FEELING !!

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
BOOMARANG
Survived first engine out

JUST STARTING - SOLO - WHAT A FEELING !!

Postby BOOMARANG » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 am

HI All
After years of dreaming (and flying radio controlled model planes) I will be starting my MPL training in a week or two.(Bearing in mind that on my first trip in a MIcrolight 3 years ago the engine siezed and it was only the skill of the pilot that saved the day).

Firstly I want to know is if it is possible to buy a Microlight that is save and in good enough condition to do my solo time in for R30 000. I spent 10 years in die army as a paratrooper ( when the army was still an army, I might add) and know that know you cannot put a price on safety. Unfortunately most of us has to work on a budget and for me its R30 000 or nothing.

Secondly. Any recommendations for a club to do my training at? I stay close to Vereeniging on a small farm. As far as I know there are two clubs close by that does training.

Althoug Miclolight Flying is a sport it is, like parachuting, a serious sport where it is either 100% or nothing. So I would like to start out on the right track. Any good advise will be welcomed.
Last edited by BOOMARANG on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
BOOMARANG
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: JUST STARTING -

Postby Tailspin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:59 am

Hi Boomarang

Firstly welcome to the Forum.

There are a few airfields not to far from your area. At the bottom of the main page of the forum there are Manufacturers and schools etc that you can see what is close and then make a few calls.

Goodluck.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:16 am

Yes you can buy a reliable enough single seat microlight for R30k. Just look at the classifieds on this site and then take an AP with you to look at the plane that you want to buy.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
MADALA
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby MADALA » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:18 pm

You cannot go wrong with Airborne Sport in Springs,FRED BLOKLAND and OOM PAUL are masters.

You have to go to a school where commitment is their bussiness.
emosolo
Pre flight checks done

Postby emosolo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:34 am

Hi,

Give Marc at Panorama a call. He runs JHB Microlight acadamy which is based near Rand Airport. You can call him on 082 392 31 four nine. Read my post Emosolo now in training,it will give you a clear indication of what it might be like.

Regards,
J
BOOMARANG

Postby BOOMARANG » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:30 am

Met Bossie Bosman at the Vereeniging airport yesterday afternoon.He was taking a student up for training. The plane belonged to the Gerhard,the student and after they landed Gerhard kindly offered to let Bossie take me up for a flip.If I was 99% convinced that I wanted to do this , it changed to 120% during the flight and 150% after we landed.Thanks to Gerhard for the use of the plane and to Bossie for his time. Between the two of you you did what no amount of surfing the net and reading about the sport can do.
BOOMARANG
BOOMARANG

Postby BOOMARANG » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:33 am

Well its now three weeks later. I am the proud owner of a Hornet and spent the last week convereting it to dual. Bought the trike from Henri at Rhino and according to all who knows something it is in a very good condition, complete with ATR, radio, helmet, earphones everyting.Some even were of the oppinion that , bearing in mind what I paid for it, I actually got it for free! Thanks to Henri for letting me use his trailer to bring it back, and without even asking for a security deposit! Thanks to Bossie for all the advice as well as Manfred at Petterfield for not only supplying me with parts but spent a lot of time on telling me excactly what to do and look out for when converting to dual.

All should be finished this Saturday and weather permitting I may even go for my first official lesson over the weekend.Must admit I am 98% excited and 2% totally terified.....hope this is natural.Just not know if its normal to go to the hanger after work when no ones there and just sit in the front seat and imagine myself up in the air......And tonight i plan to put the helmet and earphones on as well............
BOOMARANG
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:44 am

Excellent news, good luck
Greg Perkins
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:45 am

Boomerang my friend - thats entirely natural

Its not unusual to find yourslef going out to the hanger just to sit and look at your new baby. You will also find it completely natural to find yourslef going out to the hanger as often as possible, to wash, inspect, wash again, photograph, perv over, sit in/on your aircraft and just imagine the future. Not unusual to be 2% terrified (when i went solo i was about 2% excited and 98% terrified) - but those percentages vary depending on the excercise. In general you will find yoursl;ef being 100% excited !!!
Also start coping with the fact that even though you have a one hour lesson you spend the day at the airfield just watching okes fly, listening to the radio, talking Cr@p about planes and just being passionate about this thing we call aviation.

Take heed from the most recent spate of accidents and DONT start or run the engine until ABSOLUTELTY confident that you are able to handle anything that happens. DO Love and adore just being near your plane. Thats flying chap...

vhpy vhpy vhpy
RV9
DISH
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:06 am

BOOMARANG wrote:And tonight i plan to put the helmet and earphones on as well............
Remember to wipe the instruments with a soft cloth when finished flying tonight. :wink:

Ejoy the weekend, and trust the weather's gonna hold.
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:10 am

enjoy that feeling, it's like getting a new girlfriend and building up to the first kiss :wink: :lol:

Mind you I still hug my aerie when people are not looking

have fun, enjoy the training.
Greg Perkins
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:26 am

Boomerang,

This brings back memories. Just don't let your softness see you hugging her.

Listen to the ballies when they talk about flying. Hangar talk is invaluable.

Enjoy your flying and welcome to the brotherhood.

Safe flying,

Andy
BOOMARANG

Postby BOOMARANG » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Morph, I made a point to only date girls that kiss on first dates, but I know what you mean....
Andy , The softness said I must choose between a microlight and her.....so I figured the microlight makes less noise,have better performance ,is much cheaper in the maintainance department and wants me to fly her whenever I can. I'm really gonna miss the breadpudding she used to make for me on Sundays.......

Now if anybody can explain to me how to get a smily behind the previous sentence it would be great.
BOOMARANG
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:27 pm

When you post a reply, you can see the smilies on the right. Place your cursor where you want it, and click on the smiley you want. Hit submit

You can also go back and edit your own posts, and then put the smiley in.
Greg Perkins
BOOMARANG

Postby BOOMARANG » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks , but when I do that it only shows a " vhpy or :oops:" depending on which one I choose. it does not show a smily. maybe it shows a smiley after I submit it. lets try
vhpy :) :(
BOOMARANG