11 Hours Under the belt!!! (Double Figures!!)

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: 8 Hours Under the belt!!!

Postby Trikenut » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:22 pm

I went to Fisantekraal on Saturday. I arrived at 7am but there was mist so I didn't fly until 11am. Louis and I went down to Stellenbosch Airfield (before I flew) to StellAir and then came home. We flew for 0.3 hrs as the turbulance was bad. We did one touch and go, and then decided to make a full stop on the second one.
I did go for a flight in the Sling. I got to see some of the gyro guys which was nice.
I also met another 14 year old and his dad who were both looking to do there MPL's. Louis will be training the 14 year old like he trains me. But luckily his birthday is 5 months after mine so I'll solo and get my MPL first!! (^^) vhpy :lol:
A great day at the field!
Cheers,
Ross
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Hmmmm, now we are a 14 year old here - when was the birthday?

Good going Ross. Perseverance is the key!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:14 pm

John Boucher wrote:Hmmmm, now we are a 14 year old here - when was the birthday?

Good going Ross. Perseverance is the key!
Thanks John.
Birthday was on the 17th of May! So a while ago! Only 1 and a half years till solo! (^^)
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:54 pm

Good luck Ross!! You have a fantastic instructor. I have had many dealings with him. I solo ed on the 29th of July 1991 at the age of 13 and that was 6700 hours ago. I have almost 300 hours by the time I was able to get my MPL..LOL. Trike climbed like a fart out of a bath and my take off run was about 10 metres. it was on a windlass with a 503. I will never forget that day in a mil years. I was in std 6 and had to wait till the following friday to fly again thanks to Bording school.

You will treasure every moment of flying. its really is a great way to live life.
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks Africa. Maybe if I get a lot of experiance I can also work for a trike company one day! vhpy
It is good to have all the guys out there supporting me. Also nice to hear a story of a guy who did what I am doing!
I only fly once a month so will probably have +/- 40-50 hrs when I go solo. But 300 hrs would be nice!
On a side note: Louis speaks very Highly of you! It is also a great peace of mind to know I am flying in something as robust as an Aquilla!
Cheers,
Ross
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:22 pm

vhpy , the Aquilla is the Landcruiser of all trikes. Its the perfect training machine. You have definatly got a mature outlook into Microlighting at your young age and thats a huge plus and will help in your training. People do not know how much it actually helps to know as much as you do when it comes to the theory behind things and "hangar Talk" is one of the best text books you can ever get.

If you are ever in the U.S and want to go to 15 000 ft and back to the ground in 15 min be sure to look me up puff
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: 8.8 Hours Under the belt!!!

Postby Trikenut » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:04 pm

I logged another 0.8 hours on Saturday.
Louis is very impressed with my performance and I am feeling like I am getting somewhere now!!! vhpy
I also got to meet Biggles. He was busy rigging his trike. Nice to meet you Biggles!
It was a great day and I got some good flying in!

On another note: My parents and my siblings are going skiing in Italy in January. I don't enjoy skiing so I have been allowed to stay here. As a 'replacement' I have been allowed to fly everyday while they are away!! I have been allowed 1 hour a day from the 4th of January to the 11th Jan! vhpy vhpy Really excited to hang our at the airfield and I all-ready have people offering me flips! vhpy

Cheers,
Ross

PS: I will bet that the weather will be perfect for flying this week whilst we have restrictions in Cape Town! :evil:
Splinter
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Splinter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi Ross. Dont know if its to late to get your screening codes and all the rest of the autorisations but if its not to late ask L to help you get everything in order. As trike pilots we seldom log flight plans and this is a perfect opportunity to learn how to do them and how to get the nessasery clearance. We have had the 1st restrictions while I was doing my PPL hours and I learnt quite a bit. When we got the restrictions the second time most trike pilots didnt want to fly, but we did, because we learnt the previous time. Its frankly not that much of a hassle and will help you in future when doing those long trips alone!

Good Luck

ZU-RED
Lower, Lower ...........
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks Splinter.
Louis has told me he wants to take me into Controlled Airspace, one of the reasons being authorisations.
Thanks for the support everyone who follows this thread. It really helps keep me motivated when I have bad days. (Flying or otherwise) (^^)
Regards,
Ross
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:16 pm

good on you Ross!! Keep at it and keep that great attitude of yours and you will make a kick ass pilot!! If you do not want to go skiing in Italy, come to the states and you and I can buz around in a C90 king air!! I can show you how to go to 14500ft and back in 14 min..LOL

I think its neat of your folks to let you fly instead! also if you know of a good pilot that you trus ask to get some back seat time in too. You can learn alot just doing that and also get a feel for it so when the next lesson comes you can show Louis that you improved! LOL Tell ole Louis that i say howzit! jamie
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Africa wrote:If you do not want to go skiing in Italy, come to the states and you and I can buz around in a C90 king air!! I can show you how to go to 14500ft and back in 14 min.
Ohhhh... so THAT'S why Louis keeps telling me to lose altitude!! :lol: :lol: I thought an Aquilla could also do that... a well :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks though for the great comments. Getting them keeps me going both in my flying and in my day-to-day life. (Exams for school etc.)
I must just say: You and Adian built great trikes! (^^) Louis one has over 1000hrs on the airframe now and there have been almost no problems! It is so comfortable and flies like a dream... Congrats! (^^)
Cheers,
Ross
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:49 pm

LOL, man just thinking about Aidan is sadening me! what a ledgend that was. I can sit and tell stories about him for days..LOL Yes he built a fantastic all round machine. I just helped fly them and cause kak all over the country!! LOL just what ever you do, do not follow my footsteps.. haha JK

anyone know how Solo Wings is doing? how is Craig couzins? anyone have his email addy?

Blue skies Ross... oh anything i did at you age that you do not need to do is, i had flying in my head during exams and I was a horrible scholar. infact my head master thought I was going to be there so long he offered me a pension!! so study hard and play hard but studing is extra important in that new country of bee and kak.

Jamie
AndyG
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby AndyG » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:24 am

Craig's email Jamie, craigcouzens@vodamail.co.za

I can PM you his cell number if you want it.

Cheers and keep well mate.

Trikenut, i know Jamie well so listen to any advice he gives you as he is certainly one of the better trike pilots around. (^^)

Cheers,

Andy
Africa
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby Africa » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks Andy!! I have made contact!
Bayliner
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Bayliner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:37 am

Ross. How is the training progressing. I did my solo this morning on Johan's Cobra in Saldanha. No problems and all went as smooth as a babys' bum.