Somthing to Share.

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Harlequin
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Somthing to Share.

Postby Harlequin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:18 pm

A note to share a potential incident with other instructors.
I took a PPl friend up for an introductory flight. Flying out of Wintervogel. Low cloud and it had rained earlier. Spent a long time in the hangers talking about the various aircraft, their different performances and handling characteristics.
Pre-flight done, I warmed the aircraft up.
Climbed in and before start up I gave a thorough briefing of all instruments, controls, parachute activator and the procedure for takeoff, holding points etc . All fine and instructions understood.
Mags on, prop clear, start up. No problems, I revved up to get rolling and asked for some brake.
Incident:- the engine revved up without my input, first reaction was to get to the choke. I asked for mags off—no reaction , I then pulled his right leg up off the throttle. Problem solved !!!!!!!!!
Post mortem. A PPl will have auto memory and “subconscious muscle reaction” to respond to a thought process. Similarly this reaction has been postulated as possible causes of accidents in multi license pilots.
He pushed both pedals simultaneously when asked to brake.
Lesson learned. Comments?
Fly safely.
Graham.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Somthing to Share.

Postby Morph » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:39 pm

err Ahem

A few years ago an incident occured with a Challenger I was looking at buying. A friend of mine, retired 747 pilot, 20-odd thousand hours on the big heavies, ex military, who had also instructed PPL, CFI in a school, owned and flew microlights etc came along to have a look. The Seller offered to take him up and my mate quickly jumped into the front seat. No problems, seller jumps in the back as he has all controls there as well except this day there were no pedals in the back (been taken out by the seller). I tell them I'll get the pedals quickly and put them in but "No worries" says my mate and handles all the steering etc from the front. I mean this man has serious hours behind him so who can argue.

So they taxi out, line up, perfect takeoff and off they go. Back they come, join circuit, finals, touch down and the plane starts driting off to the left of the runway. My mate cannot seem to steer the plane and decides to go around. He goes to full throttle, seller :shock: shuts the throttle and off they go into some bushes. One destroyed front fork later that cost ME R3K to fix :shock: :twisted: .

Turns out, that in all my mates years of flying he only ever flew aircraft with pedals that slid forward and backward to steer. In this aerie the pedals pivot on a horizontal crossbar, with the arch of your foot resting on a stationary bar and pressing with your toes activating the pedals, pretty much like like a motor bike footrest and brake. His muscle memory tried to slide the pedals forward (but he was just pressing against the cross-bar)
Greg Perkins
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:36 pm

What happened to full and free movement of cotrols before takeoff?

Surely at that point he should have noticed that the rudder activation is not as he was used to.

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek.
learning all the time.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:16 am

Harlequin wrote: He pushed both pedals simultaneously when asked to brake.
Lesson learned. Comments?
Fly safely.
Graham.
I had same problem on trikes. I also have RYDAAR feet when getting close to ground to "find" middle of the runway. Gave the instructors at FASI some white knuckle moments. Especially since I was flying the blik in and out to FASI before each lesson.... Maybe driving in would have been better... I found that though if I had flown the Cubby (which has heel brakes) it happened less as instinct would be to release pressure and "step" on heel.

My mate is trike instructor and literally K@K's himself every time a guy comes for MPL (trike) convex and says it will be quick I have gazillion PPL hrs... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:25 am

I asked for mags off—no reaction
Graham,

Why was this. Or did you mean no reaction from your intro passenger?

My story: last week I flew with the new (old) WUO over Paardeberg, and used the hand throttle for the first time. Landing at Diemerskraal I noticed the refs a bit high, and adjusted for lower refs once landed. Going back noticed when idling same thing, landed again at higher refs. Only then thought that problem might be hand throttle - even though I shifted it to off, the slack in the cable did not allow it to go to off when pushed gently. Another circuit, this time pushing the hand throttle more forcefully to off did the trick. Will need to lubricate.

Oh, and I've for an extra e to share, you seem to need it. :lol:

G
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:01 am

grostek wrote:What happened to full and free movement of cotrols before takeoff?

Surely at that point he should have noticed that the rudder activation is not as he was used to.
Yes I agree. In fact this was all done and he safely taxied all the way to the runway, requireing a lot of steering, safely took off as well. I think when he came in on finals the brain kicked into instinct mode and he suddenly forgot the idiosyncrosies of this plane. It shows you, even if a guy talks big, have millions of hours under the belt, unless he carries a conversion on your aerie, and has successfully flown, or done a checkride in one recently, don't neccessarily trust in his abilities.
Greg Perkins
Harlequin
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Harlequin » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:55 am

Yup.
As said, splleing not my strong point.
As long as the first and last letters of the word are correct, the mddile bits … who cares!!

Graham.
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:54 am

Yup. I think that we must be really careful about that sort of stuff.
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
pietskiet02

Postby pietskiet02 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:12 pm

whats the moral of the storie.

never put a PPL in the front seat for the first time,

it is commen knowledge............!
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:43 pm

Put a kill switch in where you can easily reach it!!! vhpy
lefssa
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby lefssa » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:41 am

this incident happened awile ago. medical bill over R100 000.00
It was reported to CAA with no feedback from them. Our policy now is student ALWAYS sits in back seat for first flight irrespective of previous flying expeiance.

On 8 January 2004, at 05h00 zulu time, I was preparing for an instructional flight. The trike has a pull start system and my husband, Deon Kraidy, started the trike for me. He bent over and used the cruise throttle to warm the engine up.

Knowing that my first time trike student was a trained fixed wing instructor, in the air force, I took the time to explain the differences in the controls. After climbing in, we went over the controls and I got Deon Kraidy to start the engine. On telling the student to slowly increase power, he reached down and grabbed hold of the cruise control lever below the seat. I told the student to leave the cruise throttle alone. The trike immediately lurched forward. He sat up again. It was then that I realized if I did not take control of the wing, the trike would have hit the other trike parked in front of it. I immediately turned the trike and lifted the wing over the other trike’s wing. After turning the trike, the trike was now facing down a slight slope.

The trike was heading at full power towards the runway. The trike reached approximately 35 miles per hour. I was unsure of the reason for the trike racing away at the speed that it was. There was no way, sitting in the back seat of the trike that I could reach the magnetos or the choke to be able to kill the engine. When realizing what was going to happen, i.e. the trike was going to hit a steel hangar on the opposite side of the runway, next to which was parked a Cessna 210, I thought the last thing I needed the student to do was turn the trike and hit the Cessna. I figured that the best thing to do was to make a good thing of a bad situation and get the trike to hit the hangar straight on and have the wing take the impact. I grabbed hold of the wing and held it level. I also braced my legs on the steering column to prevent the student from turning the trike at that high speed. The distance between the parking area, where the trike was started, and the hangar, is approximately 100m.

The trike hit the hangar square on and climbed the metal door. Once the trike had stopped moving I managed to speak to the student to get him to hit the magneto switches.

My opinion of what actually happened was that the student reached down and grabbed hold of the cruise control, opened up the throttle a little and when the trike lurched forward, he got a fright and his flying instinct took over. He was a fixed wing Impala instructor and there the breaks are on the tops of the rudder pedals. He used what he thought were the breaks but instead on the trike he had the break on the left pedal and the throttle on the right. On trikes the breaks aren’t very effective and the throttle overrode the breaks. Not realizing what he had done, the student did not take any countermeasures to stop the trike.
pietskiet02

Postby pietskiet02 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:39 am

i fully agree on thus one.

allways,but ALLWAYS put the "student" in the back seat. EVEN IF HES A FRIEND FLYING PPL<HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE IS GETTING HIMSELF INTO>

and if u are a grade C instructor,belive me u think u know,actually u know shit...!

and by knowing shit,u learn the HARD way.... :roll: :roll:
Harlequin
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Harlequin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:18 pm

pietskiet02 wrote:hes 16 years of age.

how could he know what he is talking about.....??????????

why dont u go and ask louis.....?????????????

Pietskiet, chill the attitude bud, you were also 16.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pietskiet.
If you weren’t as aggressive with your tone I would have taken your comments more seriously.
Tip.
Join AVCOM you may find a few friends there.......not here.
Fly safely chap!!!!!!!!!!!

Graham.
Carel
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby Carel » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:25 pm

Pietskiet,

PLEASE refrain from posting comments if they are not constructive and in good taste.
pietskiet02

Postby pietskiet02 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:21 pm

please guys.

this is a form..if u think im being aggresive,well......

i am just going to laugh.

the truth hurts sometimes, so we share the knowledge.... too others.

it makes one think...doesnt it.... ($$) ($$) ($$) ($$)