TO DRAG OR NOT TO DRAG!!

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
goldie
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

TO DRAG OR NOT TO DRAG!!

Postby goldie » Sun May 25, 2008 6:27 pm

Maybe I was a little haystee but I have purchased a traildragger.I did my PPL on a C150, many years ago,MPL on trikes.Now want to go the 3-axis route again.Since the purchase a few weeks ago I have read so many stories on "Taming the traildragger" I am thinking have I done the right thing? Will get instruction from a rated instructor,but any input from you "seat of the pants guys" would be much appreciated.Please no smart comments!
The great thing about getting older is that you don't have to prove yourself anymore.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: TO DRAG OR NOT TO DRAG!!

Postby Morph » Mon May 26, 2008 9:35 am

Which tailie did you get?

I am not a tailie pilot, but would love to do it anyway. They do look nicer than the equivalent tricycle gear aircraft. But yes they are prone to bite you on the ground.

However, that said, there are many many guys flying tailies very safely so it really comes down to your choice.
Greg Perkins
diver
Pre flight checks done

Postby diver » Mon May 26, 2008 10:11 am

There are lots of stories, some true and some hype. I flew nose wheel aircraft for 30 years before I tried a tail wheel aircraft and my only regret is that I waited so long.

1. I think the key is the instructor and ones ability to do exactly as he/she says.
2. Dont worry about all the hype but all i can say is if your feet stop moving on the ground expect something to happen quite soon! And you just have to apply the necessary corrections.
3. After you have converted fly solo for a while and settle down.
4. Practice practice practice - do a couple of circuits every week.

Enjoy it.

Trevor
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon May 26, 2008 3:10 pm

DRAG

I have around 450hrs on tailies. (Cubby, Cub, Supercub, RV4, Tiger Moth & Decathlon).

my 2c
Get a light small tailie to train on. Cub or supercub is a nice trainer. I used Cubby which is a bitch on the ground. RV is the easiest tailie I ever flown.. I would go tailie every time. It fun and makes you fly better.. Landings in tailie and take off can be :shock: :shock: :shock: if you slapgat...
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Mon May 26, 2008 5:29 pm

Sounds like a thatch roof, or a big tatoo, lekker as long it is next door and not yours. :)
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
diver
Pre flight checks done

Postby diver » Tue May 27, 2008 8:53 am

Quote "I used Cubby which is a bitch on the ground".
My first taildragger was a cubby and I have just had a few frights so far. My sixteen yr old daughter will be doing her PPL on the Cubby and she has managed some successful landings already. So we will see.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue May 27, 2008 9:09 am

he he he. I got a good few frights in the Cubby in 15 hrs. Great trainer to teach you keep your finger out. I have had 1 in the RV in 400hrs... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . Ground loops in Cubby 2. Ground loops in RV 2. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I still maintain it is a hugely under rated aerie and makes a solid little trainer. The RV has too much power and that way it easy to get out of K@K. If you fly the Cubby badly it bites. If you have your finger out it piss.

PS
Both ground loops with the Cubby were with instructor on my taillie intro flight :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
4 Sale (will trade)
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Wed May 28, 2008 7:16 am

RV4ker wrote:Both ground loops with the Cubby were with instructor on my taillie intro flight :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Was there any damage?
goldie
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby goldie » Wed May 28, 2008 6:01 pm

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT.I PURCHASED A CHEETAH TAILDRAGGER,FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND ONLY ONE OF A FEW,MOST HAVE THE NOSE WHEEL CONFIGURATION. ANY OF YOU OUT THERE DONE HOURS ON THIS TAILLIE?? MIKE. PS. JIM DAVIS HAS ANOTHER ARTICLE IN THIS MONTHS SA.FLYER ON THIS SUBJECT.
The great thing about getting older is that you don't have to prove yourself anymore.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed May 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Griffin wrote:
RV4ker wrote:Both ground loops with the Cubby were with instructor on my taillie intro flight :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Was there any damage?
Other than instructors pride. No. That 1 of the reasons I bought it. Was very uncomfortable, but it lands so slowly that it almost happened in slow motion although 2nd time I though instructor was having me on... It was immediately after 1sr one and just like a KYK WEER :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
His words. "Ag F@K, not again"
4 Sale (will trade)
aeronaut
Thinking of flying

Postby aeronaut » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:17 am

Goldie,
There are more tricycle pilot wishing they could fly taildraggers than the other way around - go for it and you wont look backward unless you groundloop :shock: vhpy
See ya for a beer later........... (^^)
Life is short, so eat dessert first!