PPL and or MPL training on a microlight registered 3 axis AC

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Badger
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Location: Farm "Stukkie Hemel" Dinokeng Game Reserve (25 21.229 S 28 24.457 E) & Saudi Arabia.

PPL and or MPL training on a microlight registered 3 axis AC

Postby Badger » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:05 am

Gents
Is it possible to do both MPL and PPL training on a 3 axis such as the Savannah, Bushbaby and Cheetah if it is registered as a microlight.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away"
Savannah MXP740 VG
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:24 am

I am told by CAA that the license of the instructor dictates what license is required. if instructor is CPL then it a PPL endorsement. If instructor is MPL then it MPL endorsement.

So to answer you question, YES I believe it is possible. (I fly my cubby on PPL, while many have flown the exact same aerie on MPL) :wink:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:45 pm

OK I'll try since I did it....

The Aircraft needs to have both a designation in PPL and MPL they are different.

Then your instructors rating will determine. MPL can't give PPL.

If you do MPL first you will still have to do the hours and long cross country from MPL to PPL to qualify as PPL, even though you can fly the plane on MPL.

Regards
Rudi
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
Badger
Location: Farm "Stukkie Hemel" Dinokeng Game Reserve (25 21.229 S 28 24.457 E) & Saudi Arabia.

Postby Badger » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:27 pm

Thank you gents
The reason why I asked this is that I hold an MPL licence and my son started off with his PPL a short while ago and I recently purchased a Savannah. I want the lad to complete his PPL training on it as well as to build some hours on it.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away"
Savannah MXP740 VG
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:33 pm

PPL no problem, but you may pick up hassles if it falls outside the MPL def's in Jan and you may have to get RPL (recreational pilot's license), but that still far off. For now Enjoy it. :wink:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Badger

Postby Badger » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:02 pm

I have no problem in doing the RPL, as long as it will make me a better, safer and more knowlegable pilot, I realy dont mind. As long as I can keep on flying.
:lol:
Savannah MXP740 VG
Wingman
Pre flight checks done

Postby Wingman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:19 pm

Hi Gents. I am a PPL and would like to purchase a Savannah or similar. I have started doing conversion on Savannah by MPL instructor. I also would like to register the A/C as microlight for re-sale purposes. (Not sure if this is possible after 1 Jan 08 with new RPL stuff hanging in the air)

Question. Is the MPL instructor OK so that after conversion the hours is count as normal PPL hours?

Please advise.
The sky is the limit..
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:00 am

Hi Wingman.

Like Rudi said, the aircraft needs to be designated in PPl category if you want to log PPL hours........

So, what you will need to ascertain is whether that particular aircraft has a 'Z' code(which means it is a microlight) or a 'X' code (which means it is PPL), or both.

Furthermore, if you want to log PPl hours and it has got a 'X' code, then you must first do a conversion onto the 'X' with a PPl instructor.

Stupid hey, really stupid, and just another thing that I feel was overlooked during the writing of the laws.

Regards.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:12 am

Savanah empty weight is 272 - 12kgs over the limit for MPL come 1 Jan.

I am still amazed that we have not heard any peeps out of these manufacturers/distributors about how they will be affected come 1 Jan. Either that or they are happy with the change :?:
IceAge
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Re: PPL and or MPL training on a microlight registered 3 axi

Postby IceAge » Tue May 27, 2014 9:41 am

Reviving an old thread from 2007......

Has the powers to be resolved this issue yet or is the process still the same as explained above as I am getting mixed messages in this regard? I have purchased a Savannah VG to be flown on my LSA license and I want my kids who both have PPL licences to do some hour building towards CPL. Will the rating of an A-grade LSA instructor count for getting the PPL rating or will it only be applicable for 'fun flying', will the rating be PPL or LSA?

In my view it just does not make sense that an already qualified PPL pilot who needs only a type rating requires a PPL instructor to sign off for PPL hours if the LSA instructor has been authorised for training by the powers that be for the specific plane. What will the PPL instructor do different from the LSA instructor???

Also could someone please assist with the Z or X codes for the Savannah aircraft models.

Thanks
Caught a dream............

Windlass Aquilla
Thunderbird MKII
Savannah VG
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 am

IceAge wrote:Reviving an old thread from 2007......

Has the powers to be resolved this issue yet or is the process still the same as explained above as I am getting mixed messages in this regard? I have purchased a Savannah VG to be flown on my LSA license and I want my kids who both have PPL licences to do some hour building towards CPL. Will the rating of an A-grade LSA instructor count for getting the PPL rating or will it only be applicable for 'fun flying', will the rating be PPL or LSA?

In my view it just does not make sense that an already qualified PPL pilot who needs only a type rating requires a PPL instructor to sign off for PPL hours if the LSA instructor has been authorised for training by the powers that be for the specific plane. What will the PPL instructor do different from the LSA instructor???

Also could someone please assist with the Z or X codes for the Savannah aircraft models.

Thanks
An appropriately rated LSA instructor can sign them out on an LSA aircraft. Make sure the instructor fills out the CAA 'differences' form - not the RAASA one, and include a copy of the instructor's license 'File Copy' (indicating current instructor rating and instructor privileges on type).

Hours will count in full towards higher (CPL and ATPL) licenses.
IceAge
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby IceAge » Tue May 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks Justin. That is great news.... (^^) (^^) (^^)

You do not by any change have the CAA form number? If not I will check all forms on their site.

Thanks again
Caught a dream............

Windlass Aquilla
Thunderbird MKII
Savannah VG
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Tue May 27, 2014 1:13 pm

IceAge wrote:Thanks Justin. That is great news.... (^^) (^^) (^^)

You do not by any change have the CAA form number? If not I will check all forms on their site.

Thanks again
Sorry - don't have the form number handy. Would be surprised if the LSA instructor did not already have the form available though.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sat May 31, 2014 7:13 pm

Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success