Cubby & Bush baby ratings

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Cubby & Bush baby ratings

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon May 21, 2007 2:25 pm

I have been flying the Cubby on my PPL and thus I am told that my MPL has expired. I thus need to get signed out on the Cubby by a ML instructor (as oppoed to PPL instructor like I have at moment). I have the Cubby based FABB, but need rated ML 3 axis instructor. Any idea's?

I want to get a head start on the explorer panel by going for flip/convex in BB to see if what I plan is feasible and practical. Any idea's of rated instructors with an aerie up in Big smoke. Mike Cathro has one at Panorama, but it onl for owner training... (need a bush baby and instructor). Am lead to believe that Monty's has been sold)

PS
'Oom' Boet
If I fly down to Loerries to Visit can you arrange for a convex that will satisfy CAA on both the BB and explorer? :roll: -0< -0< -0< -0< -0< -0< -0< ^*^^ pref with little wheels :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
GR8-DAD
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby GR8-DAD » Tue May 22, 2007 8:33 pm

HI G, how does it work, MPL vs PPL? I never knew your MPL can "expire" :shock: You have a PPL and did convex onto Cubby, right ? Therefore don't need MPL? So how can your rating expire? I also have PPL and fly Bushbaby, ATF as microlight.

If you come visit BOET, organizing an instructor aand an aerie will be as easy as 22/7.
Nooitgedacht: 124.8 Alt 1050 ft
S 32°16'49.8 E 18°53'33.0
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue May 22, 2007 9:25 pm

Dad
Very confusing and mainly as a result of the grey area surrounding 3 axis mpl and light planes and their instructors.

I want to do 3 axis MPL instructors and as such have to get min hrs on MPL before I can complete this. I got Cubby convex from PPL instructor so all hrs are logged as PPL hrs. If I had got convex from MPL instructor (on same plane) I log all hrs as MPL. I still do not see the difference, but nou ja. Same aerie, same pieloot, same hrs, different code at CAA??

Plan is/was to get 3 axis MPL instructors to teach wife & kids to fly over time, do some instructing for the hell of it to share joys of flying with others. Know it not great idea to teach spouse, but she not keen to fly with others, so it me or nobody. Financially it also makes more sense to "test" instructor theory with MPL than Comm/IF/Instructors (R50K and couple weeks off for the exams). Lastly I need to assess my ability to dodge the earth with pupe trying best to aid gravity and the dreaded ^?^ ^?^ every now and again. I have heard so many horror stories about how guys went from Biggles (live to fly) to Bus driver (Loath the job) as a result of instruction. My motivation is not financial, so I am hoping this will help, but only time will tell.

Many of the area's I find myself in during the week (in the flatlands) have dead keen pilots with no access to aeries or instructors. Plenty have lapsed PPL's but I sure as hell not letting them loose on the RG, RV or Albat so idea was to buy a 3 axis MPL/PPL Pieloot proof (easy to fix) aerie, do instructors and then instruct part time while the school helped pay off the aerie and educate me.

At the time the Cubby's price was right and I needed a tailwheeler to practise groundloops in, for the commin RV. It was also offered as a plane/instructor package deal - (which never materialised, but that another story altogether :? :? :? ). In hindsight the Mohawk or the 582 BB I looked at would have been a better bet, but no use crying over spilt milk. Idea was to let school use the aerie and they would help me through the paperwork, patter etc to get 3 axis MPL instructor supreme :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . This never happened & I ended up with broken aerie and lapsed MPL no closer to instructors, so I now need to fix that.

CAA tell me my MPL has lapsed as I have not logged the required MPL hrs. End of discussion. I have hrs on microlight aerie, but on my PPL license as the instructor was PPL and not MPL. It is starting to make sense after many hrs of frustrating fone calls.

I have tried too many schools for assistance and failed, so I will travel to KZN or EL when time is right, unless Dave and Annie have set up by then here. Bottom line is I need to redo the MPL convex (before part 62 comes about) and then start logging hrs on the cubby once I have got convex from MPL 3 axis instructor, then do patter, exams and bob's your auntie... Thus the plan is now to try to get as many 3 axis MPL types on my MPL in next 6 months to try to get to the magic 100hrs before part 62 forces me to start again.... :wink: So if you know of a nice 3 axis Micro which is available for convex and possibly a couple hrs solo PLEASE LET ME KNOW...

Am considering doing series for Af Skies maybe something like Taxiway to Tarmak (or 3 axis microlight Instructor for Dummies) as there was some info in 2007 Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr/May edition on instructors ratings...

PS
Don't understand the 22/7 deal :oops: :oops: :oops:
4 Sale (will trade)
GR8-DAD
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby GR8-DAD » Wed May 23, 2007 7:43 am

RV4ker wrote:Don't understand the 22/7 deal :oops: :oops: :oops:
:oops: Couldn't find the PIE key on my home PC, aka 3 and 1/7 = 22/7......can't get the damn symbol to paste....urgh.

There you go, just learnt something new again. Does this mean that the 60 hours I've logged on my BB on Z010 code does not contribute to my total PPL flying hrs for the year? :? and I still need to fly PPL aeries to maintain my PPL?

Don't know about aeries in JHB, but if in CT, Johan Froneman at Saldanha can do you Bushbaby convex as an MPL, you can use my aerie BB 912S, more than welcome. :wink: :D
Nooitgedacht: 124.8 Alt 1050 ft
S 32°16'49.8 E 18°53'33.0
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed May 23, 2007 9:53 am

Dad
I would check with CAA, but I am told Microlights have a Z identifyer is Microlight (eg Z194 is a Cheetah, ZZ03 is Hornet/Safari), while X id is a light aircraft. (eg X299 is Technam), thus Z010 should be flown on MPL, but there is huge confusion. It depends who gave you the convex and how it is endorsed in your log book. Mine says Cubby ZU-CYB, but signed out by PPL instructor thus means I have to fly with PPL.

I find this confusing as the cubby I am told is designated as J3 (which I would thus assume is PPL) while the Fokker (which was def microlight) was DRVII. The X and Z codes are allocated by CAA where an ICAO ID does not exist.

Thanks for offer of your BB. May take you up on it once I have (in writing) what the required route actually is....

It should be easy as 22/7 :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: but 3 years down the road I still not even half way to 22/7 :wink:
4 Sale (will trade)
Koala
Ready for the first flight

Postby Koala » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:55 pm

Hi G,

If your convex was done by Mirak, he could have singed it as either as he holds both PPL and MPL instructor ratings. He may therefore still be able to remedy your probem :!: :shock:
Koala
Ready for the first flight

Postby Koala » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:57 pm

signed would have been a far better word than " singed " , excuse spelling.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:59 am

Koala wrote:signed would have been a far better word than " singed " , excuse spelling.
Ja think :? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
4 Sale (will trade)
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:52 pm

Now, I'm not going to to tell you again. :evil:

Come to Secunda, let Johan, MPL Intructor, do you in his mpl Cubby. :twisted: :)
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:04 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Am getting there.... :oops: :oops:
4 Sale (will trade)
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:08 pm

R4Ker,

Kom kuier by my hier innie beskawing. ek is seker ons sal vir jou n plan kan maak!

Boet :D

Die ratings is in elk geval so deurmekaar soos n muskiet in n nudistekamp. Weet wat hy moet doen, maar het nie n clue waar om te begin nie. :wink:
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Sal kyk of ek vir Andy kan saam bring nader na einde van die maand toe. het jy nog die explorer daar? :wink:
4 Sale (will trade)
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:03 pm

Jip Exploterer nog hier. :D
Dre'man
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby Dre'man » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:01 am

Sorry have scanned the post, would a cheetah do? Must it be a tailie?
Flying below power lines on DS650X
And above in nothing
"Too much power is just enough"
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:52 am

Must be Cubby and BB as these are the aeries i want to fly. I already have MPL and tailwheel rating, but CAA want me signed out by a MPL instructor on these aeries. :wink:
4 Sale (will trade)