Look I'm flying

Postby loansharkblv » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:30 pm

Holding thumbs for you tommorow Hotdog.... :D
Bryan Nel
Kwelega - East London ( 124.8 )
Hotdog
Signed up at flight school

Postby Hotdog » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:44 pm

Some good strong thumbs there loansharkblv! Thanks!

The weather played along and I had an absolutely magnificent time! Some paperwork, lesson in trike inspection, and quite a bit of flying time. So now I can state I have 1.0 hour dual time in training! Woohoo! Still stuck with a big :D on my face.

I updated my blog for those who might be interested in the finer details :wink:
Fred Mülder
My flying blog
loansharkblv
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby loansharkblv » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:52 am

Shutting down, I felt like the happiest man alive, and we did a few after-flight checks to make sure we didn't break anything on the plane. Did some paperwork, and booked my sessions till the end of the year. I felt very proud when I filled in my first hour in my logbook, and pray that I will be blessed with many more hours in the future!
=D* =D* =D* =D*

Way to go Hotdog.... Keep the blog updates flowing....

I can associate with the "Big SMile" syndrome - I have my first bash at the Skyranger yesterday...... Still smiling.... :wink:
Bryan Nel
Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:14 pm

Great stuff! I saw some photos of it, the light-blue and white one?

I had my second session this morning, and am a bit stiff fighting the abundance of wind that was there for all to enjoy. Updated my blog with my experiences. Had a minor runway excursion during one of my high-speed taxi runs (yeah, I know, my brain keeps thinking that those pedals are indeed rudders), and felt like we were flying all over the place, but in the end it was not that bad. I just need to work on my throttle control and to keep the bar neutral when I turn. Easy! :? :wink:
Fred Mülder
My flying blog
loansharkblv
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby loansharkblv » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:59 pm

Today for the first time I understand how overwhelming sensory overload can be, but I am sure it will only get better.
That is does Hotdog... Keep the post coming.... :wink:
Bryan Nel
loansharkblv
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby loansharkblv » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:13 pm

Hotdog wrote:Great stuff! I saw some photos of it, the light-blue and white one?........... I just need to work on my throttle control and to keep the bar neutral when I turn. Easy! :? :wink:
Yip, that's the one.

In terms of the turn and throttle - Don't stress that at this point.

The throttle you will get to grips with really soon....

AS for the turn I imagine you are doing Grade1 turns at this stage is pretty decent wx... I used to have the problem of pulling the bar in in a turn - I overcame this by holding the bar with only two fingers in each hand (the thumb and the nose picker).....

Grip for the turn was effected by the "fleshy" part of the skin.... Using this it is very difficult to do much more than turn.... but don't worry about it at this stage.... These are the early days...........

Have fun.....
Bryan Nel
Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:53 am

I am using your advice and it does help a lot to keep the bar neutral with only two fingers.

Yesterday we did some power-on and power-off stalls, and then some low level flying, The idea was to fly out to Bronkhorstspruit dam, but we had clouds closing in, and rather trained in the GF.

And this morning - I missed my slot. Doh! I was under the impression it was 7:30, but I just got in the shower when my phone rang and I had the rude awakening that I was indeed booked for 6:00. I really looked forward to this session today, and the next one is only Monday. That'll teach me! :x :evil: :wink:
Fred Mülder
My flying blog
loansharkblv
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby loansharkblv » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:02 am

Well, I suppose these things happen, and they happen for a reason, and I'll make up for it somehow (guess I am already, as I am paying for this missed session!). The good news is that I can start work early and make sure that I finish up all the loose ends before end of day tomorrow when my leave for December starts.

I would put today down as a lesson in situational awareness. Always make sure what and when things are supposed to happen, and don't get caught out in the open, wet, with only a towel to keep you company >;-)
LOL :D Hotdog, you BOX - I guess that will be the last time that you are late again for a session.... :wink:

As for situational awareness - It is something that you will soon become very (or more) proficient in than you are already.... As far as flying goes it is fantastically safe so long as you are always aware of your surrounding as well as your "bail out" options......

Sorry to hear about the training but if i pick up on what you say on your blog you are about to go on leave..... I hope you have booked plenty of time - Keep the progress reports coming....
Bryan Nel
Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:35 pm

Hi there,

I am finally on leave! Had a splendid session Monday and this morning, and today I did my first landings! It is this part of trike flying that I was worried about the most, but I managed three landings today and it doesn't seem that difficult as I imagined. Only time will tell, but I am feeling quite good about it at the moment, and look forward to my next session on Friday. I am at 6 hours flying time at the moment, and I want to go for my flight medical and sort out my Student licence soon. Hopefully my solo flight is not too far away!
Fred Mülder
My flying blog
loansharkblv
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby loansharkblv » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 am

I met an Air Force pilot working on the Hawk programme - yup, even jet jocks fly trikes!
Ya, where did you think they got their advanced training? 8)
More bar, hold off, more, more, and we settled nicely on the ground. My first landing!! Full throttle and left out back to Microland.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Small quick adjustments to stay lined up on the runway, and at about 6ft I rounded off to break the descent. Bar slightly forward to hold off, hold off, and presto! Touchdown. On the power, bar forward on rotate, catch the pitch up with a bit of back pressure on the bar, until a neutral bar climbout

Well done Hotdog, textbook stuff - Sounds like you have been doing this for years.....

Why not duplicate your BLOG here - Not sure if everyone knows about it (even though it is advertised) I know for sure the likes of Capt Biggles would have no clue where to start looking even if it had a big flashing Neon sign around it that said PRESS HERE....
Did I mention that I am on holiday at the moment?
Lucky bwastardo.... Go and fly man......
Bryan Nel
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:03 am

loansharkblv wrote: Why not duplicate your BLOG here - Not sure if everyone knows about it (even though it is advertised) I know for sure the likes of Capt Biggles would have no clue where to start looking even if it had a big flashing Neon sign around it that said PRESS HERE....
For Capt Bling Bling :twisted: :twisted:

Imageclick me
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
loansharkblv
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby loansharkblv » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:10 am

hehe RV4ker - Believe it or not he phoned me.......

Says he clicked the head and nothing happened....
Bryan Nel
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:16 am

We try again...

For Capt Bling Bling :twisted: :twisted:

Imageclick meImage

PS
Hint. Try the text that says CLICK ME :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

LSB