info on lifiting your nose before take off speed is reached

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
emil
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

info on lifiting your nose before take off speed is reached

Postby emil » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:33 am

i would love to know why some instructors teach pilots to fly some planes in the nose high position in other word lifting the nose up before the plane reaches take off speed and then on the landing let them keep the nose in the air for as long as posible..if you fly a plane like the Jabi from a short strip you are looking for @#$#@$ i have heard people say it is to spare the nose gear ...if so why is the plane not at tail drager...

on the take of with wind the plane fly from the stall into the air and on the landing you wait very long before you can use the brakes......

i think this is totaly the wrong way to do it...and it is unsafe

what do you guys think
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:55 am

The above mentioned procedure would be applicable for a take-off on a rough and/or soft field. Once the aircraft is airborne, you fly level with the runway to pick up a safe flying speed in ground effect. The take-off run will be longer than a short field take-off, but you might save the nose wheel.

Regards,
Arnulf
FAWGie
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FAWGie » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:57 pm

The procedure is correct - once sufficient airspeed is achieved so that rudder authority is in place, the nosewheel should be raised to reduce drag as well as protect the nosewheel. But not in a too high raised position that huge drag is induced from the high angle of attack of the wings....

I regularly fly a Jabiru too and if done correctly (with the correct airspeed for rudder authority) the plane runs sweet till rotation....

The same principal applies on landing...practicing these techniques keeps you nimble on the undercarriage and gets your flying far more precise....

I cannot tell you how many students that I have instructed that excercise poor airmanship by attempting carrier deck type landings.....
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:55 pm

What I have seen a lot of lately, is pilots taking off with nose-high attitude and keeping a high-nose attitude. "Dragging" the aircraft behind the power-curve into the sky to prove how "powerful" the motor is.

This is dangerous and stupid, and proves nothing about the aircraft other than it allows for bad flying technique. I will not fly a "demo" with a pilot doing this sort of thing, no matter how many times he has "safely" done it before :!:

But I agree keeping weight off the front gear (especially the Jabi), during take-off run, and flying your front wheel down after main gear during landing, rather than whacking it down, is better. We fly mostly on a grass strip, and I don't think the use of early brakes is a good idea, not for your gear and not for the runway.
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:21 pm

I pull back on the stick about 1/2 to 1 inch from neutral elevator. This relieves the weight on the front wheel and the plane will lift off when she is ready to fly. To try and run with full up elevator from start will result in a crash similar to the Cheetah at Paradise recently. Forcing the plane into a very high nose attitude, not fast enough to fly. The high angle of attack of the wings disturbs the airflow such that there is no aileron authority and if the plane starts to roll over to the side you cannot correct it.

This is a bad situation
Greg Perkins