Density altitude

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi Morph.

Please take note guys.

IAS is the same no matter what density altitude you are at. Yes, your relative ground speed is higher at higher altitudes, but your IAS will be the same at stall whether you are in C.T., Durban or Johannesburg.

It will also read the same for rotation at take-off, whether you are in CT etc., etc., JUST YOUR RELATIVE GROUND SPEED INCREASES.
:wink:

later,
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
Thunderboy
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thunderboy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:34 pm

Thanks that helps, this may sound really stupid but my instruments also calculate TAS under my IAS,
now I have never actually taken note of it on landing or take off because my concentration is on what matters right then, but would it help at all to watch the TAS on the hotter days with take off?
Thunderbird ZU-ECX
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:15 am

Hi Folk.

...........after some 3 1/2thousand hours on trikes, I still have never looked at any of my instruments either on short finals or on late ground-run just before rotation............

Even when flying the blik-aeries, by the time you are 50% of the way to rotation speed, you are 'out the window', only just glancing at IAS to start the actual rotation. And even that, after you get to know your aerie, is done by feel.

So my advice is to put all your concentration into 'feeling' your trike. Feel the wing, hear the engine RPM, hole the base bar in the rotation position (one fist from the aerofoil/profile tube), feel the wind on your face(assuming you do not wear a helmut), learn to judge your 'corner-of-your-eye' ground speed for different head-wind values at the rotation speed etc.,,

And lastly, if you are operating from a runway that you DO NOT KNOW, ie you have just rigged your trike after trailering it in, then take NO CHANCES if it is short, especially with obstacles like a fence, or a road crossing at 90degrees, or buildings, trees etc.,

First take off solo, with 1/4 tank of fuel, and land again. Remember it takes a longer runway for landing than it does for take-off for an inexperienced pilot. Specially for trikes with kak brakes :lol: :lol:

Note where you rotated, then double your take-off distance for worse case scenario. If you have enough runway to double the distance, you are O.K., otherwise think twice if you are not very experienced.

Later,
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744