MPL Training

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
KobusBank
Looking at the sky

MPL Training

Postby KobusBank » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:09 pm

I went solo in 2002...yes I know its a long time ago and recently decided that I want to get back in the air again. I was told that I must start from scratch and all my previous training and hours are worthless...only my restricted radio licence can be carried over....
This sounds kinda crazy...is it true?
KobusBank
Looking at the sky

Re: MPL Training

Postby KobusBank » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:34 pm

no-one???
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:54 pm

It is true that you keep the hours that you have flown but it is irresponsible of you to think that after 12 years of not flying that you will just get in and go. A lot has changed in the regulations and you may also not be flying the same aircraft you were flying before. The instructor at the school you will be training will take you for an assessment flight and probably spend a good couple of hours recapping emergency procedures, radio etc etc and of course making sure you can still fly. There is also a legal min amount of hours that you have to fly per year to remain current.

So in short, you never loose your hours flown but it will probably not help you much in reducing the hours required to obtain your license.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
KobusBank
Looking at the sky

Postby KobusBank » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:42 am

Never expected to just get in and fly......i was just shocked that all my previous hours and experience is now "worthless" and that I need to start from scratch. I dont mind flying 10 hours dual if I have to....I just don't want to do everything from scratch.....
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Whilst I see your point Kobus, flying is not like climbing on a bike after 12 years. Not that I really have the experience to comment but flying with an instructor for a while is not the end of the world.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi Kobus, I am not the best of typers so my answers might seem a bit short and aggressive. So vat dit soos dit kom. A question tha none of us asked is what license are we talking about? If it is LSA then 12 years ago there was no LSA license. The best is to first fly with an instructor in order to determine where your flying is at. That will stop all this speculation but here is just my opinion from experience.

Firstly, none of your exams will be valid. You will have to re-write those again.

Secondly, You will have to fly with an instructor until you are competent again. That will probably not be less than 8 hours as you will have to cover all the basics again. Turning, stalling, emergency procedures, circuits and then off course you will have to be able to consistently land the aircraft safely in different conditions.

Thirdly, You will most probably also not be flying the same aircraft you have flown before so it will be a"conversion" of some sorts. That also take a bit time.

No4, i doubt that the previous school still has a copy of your student file. This will have to be sent to the new school to validate your hours that you have flown.

To sum up, yes your previous hours might count but they will probably not help much as you will probably end up re-doing most things and this is not a bad thing.

Your previous hours flown will always count towards your total experience, it might just not count much towards your license. Go for that check ride.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success