Simon takes to the air - The journey begins...

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Simon takes to the air - The journey begins...

Postby slysi » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:31 pm

Today was the start of a life long dream. I have always had a fascination with flying. I grew up when Concorde took to the skies and would stand in fascination watch the Red Arrows perform. Even flying in big heavies was fascinating.

My first taste of "real flying" was when an old colleague of mine took me up in his JABI from FASI. I loved every minute of it and taking "control" of the aerie for a few minutes was thrilling. I then flew as pax in a few trikes, my most memorable being with Demon in his "old" GT450 vhpy

I had to put my dreams on hold for various personal reasons but my love for aviation continued. I was in Hoedspruit in December and went for a flip with Deon at Leading Edge Flight School in his Bantam. It was an awesome experience and I know there and then that I had to fulfill my dream. Life has been hard over the past year or so but one thing I have learned is that you must live life to fullest, don't put your own barriers in the way, reach for the stars. ($$)

Well today was the start of that dream...I contacted Stefan (KFA) a day or so ago to enquire about flying lessons. I gave him a call this morning and we arranged to meet at 12pm 8) So off I trek from Fourways to FARA to discuss lessons with Stefan.

I arrived and walk into Hangar 1 to see a number of aircraft in various stages of construction. Wow, man, I just love the Bush Baby, Explorer and Safari. Had a brief chat to Stefan and then was introduced to Jean (sp?). We had a chat whilst Stefan was busy and then moved to the club area to chat further to Stefan. Whilst walking in he asked me if I would like to go up in ZU-FSE. What a question! vhpy Chatted some more whilst Jean got the aerie ready. Both Stefan and Jean are really nice blokes and I really felt comfortable so I am sure I am going to enjoy my time there.

Well, the time came to step into the wonderful Safari. I wanted to walk to the right hand side but Jean told my to take the left seat :shock: I then noticed that the training wheel was at the back :shock: Stefan and Jean assured me that everything will be fine. Pre-flight checks explained, taxi, roll, stick forward to lift the little wheel and then rotate....airborne vhpy

Once in the circuit Jean passed control of the aircraft to me, "you have control" :shock: Did some turns, up and downs..tried to keep the ball in the middle and aerie level. Damn instruments...did not have time to see outside but am assured that I will get the feel before long so that I can enjoy the scenery. Jean took control back and headed back to the airfield for a touch 'n go. He explained that a tailie can land on all three wheels at once of on the front wheels. The touch 'n go was on all three wheels with a much slower stall speed. We went around and came in for the front wheel landing at a slightly higher speed. We taxied to the hangar and my first lesson was done... vhpy

0.6 hours logged, lots to go but really looking forward to the next few months. Next session booked for Wednesday morning...watch this space for more up dates.

(-)
Simon
Student Pilot
HENNING JOHAN
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Simon takes to the air - The journey begins...

Postby HENNING JOHAN » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Congrats Simon with your first lesson.Enjoy your training with Stefan and his team!
FLY SAFE!!FLYBOY OBD.Aerotrike Scout 503 ZU-CAI.
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby okflyer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:36 am

@Simon,
I do not know how you made your mind up to choose Stefan. But you can call yourself lucky to have chosen one of the best instructors /flying schools (worldwide) available.
And, I know what I am talking about!
Have fun and enjoy.
(!!)
slysi wrote:.......
Well today was the start of that dream...I contacted Stefan (KFA) a day or so ago to enquire about flying lessons. I gave him a call this morning and we arranged to meet at 12pm 8) So off I trek from Fourways to FARA to discuss lessons with Stefan.

(-)
Last edited by okflyer on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything." Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896) ..Wir fliegen die Strecke bei jeder Witterung! http://carbonrotor.jimdo.com/
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:04 am

(^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 am

@okflyer....thanks mate, it was more by luck than anything else. I live in the West and was looking in the area for someone to train me. Had a few options. Was then looking at couple of aeries for sale, mainly the Bush Baby and the Explorer. This lead me to Stefan and then the rest is history...

He is a great guy and I am sure i will learn a lot. Looking forward to tomorrow vhpy vhpy vhpy
Simon
Student Pilot
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Welcome Simon, it's a disease that will end up consuming your every thought. I am sure you will enjoy your time with us. Flying is our passion. (^^)

Hey Oliver, see you at the end of the month. Looking forward to some serious flying and braaiing again puff (^^)
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:31 am

Well off to Petit nice and early this morning for my next lesson. Went through some theory with Juan (need to try and remember it all now) and then it was time to fly....

Had a nice cup of coffee first and then Jean took me through the pre-flight inspection of ZU-FSE. Once all done climbed into the left hand seat and Juan took control to taxi out. Final checks and then we took to the air. Lovely morning for flying, nice and cool, but there were some clouds looming so we leveled out at 7000 ft. Jean took me through all the exercises for the effect of the various control surfaces and after each one got my turn to try. It is going to take some more practice but will get there eventually.

Definitely need some work on coming out of a spiral dive. Power off, get wings straight and level, nose to the horizon and power on (I think....).

It was a great morning, thanks Juan.

Lots to learn but loving it.

1.6 hours logged, next lesson on Friday morning :)
Last edited by slysi on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Another 2.2 hours logged since the last post, so now sitting on 3.8 hours in total. A looooong way to go but am loving it!

Had a nice time this morning, flew with Juan firstly and tried to fly straight and level ;) not as easy as it sounds but I am getting to know the aerie now. My feet are very tense on the pedals and tend to push them both at the same time, so basically my rudder control sucks. It s nice to start getting a "feeling" for the aircraft. Still staring at instruments but Juan switched the Efis off today so forced me to use my eyes and senses. Overall reasonably happy with my progress. Taxiing coming along nicely, first attempt was allover the place last week but today was ok. I know it sounds silly to struggle with this but need to remember to steer with my feet......

Had a debrief and then a nice cup of coffee. Stefan asked if I wanted to go up again.....what a question! Went through some theory on circuits and so forth, I never expected that there would be so much theory but it is interesting and above all needed to be a safe pilot (besides having to pass the exams as well).

Did my pre-flight and myself and Stefan climbed into the Safari. I taxied to the holding point, not too bad but still doing a few s curves :) Stefan took off, leveled out and handed control to me to fly the climb. He then took control and did some "advanced flying" and a simulated forced landing in a nearby mielie field, on one wheel nogal ;)

Once back up to 500 ft AGL I took control and with the help of Stefan flew some of the circuit, even managed to line up to the runway :) No landing though, not ready for that yet! Power on and flew past the airfield and practiced some turns, not to bad but again need to remember those damn pedals!

So over all a lekker morning with Stefan and Juan. I really made a great choice with going with KFA. Loving ZU-FSE as well, great aerie. Will chat further to Stefan but I sense an order brewing.

Next session on Thursday morning, flight medical on Friday and more flying on Saturday morning :) If you are at Petit come and say howzit!
Last edited by slysi on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:20 am

0.9 hours logged with Jean this morning. Some more theory on climbing and descending, all ok. Now to the skies and practice.....flipping feet! Need to relax them.....

Frustrating from that point if view but still a lekker flight and loving every minute. Medical tomorrow.

Total hours logged.....4.7 and counting.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:27 pm

This is what yours will look like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Lekker Stefan! You have a good marketing strategy having a flight training school where you also make aeries.....it's like a kid in a candy shop :)

Can't believe I am learning to fly and will have my own aerie waiting :)

Now sing with me "I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky......."

Explorer with 912S.....yeah baby.

Next training session on Saturday :)
willemgreyling
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby willemgreyling » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Mooi man Stefan. Once you start there is no turning back. Can't get the joy out of your system. Fly safe. Before you know , you'll have you wings (^^) (^^)
Panorama
Savannah S
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Well Simon enjoyed it so much he ordered an Explorer.. (^^) (^^) I told you that intro was going to be an expensive one. puff puff
Fly Safe
Stefan
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Yah, it was expensive indeed! Thanks for getting me a good deal ;)

As a side comment to other members....I have looked at a few options for aeries i.e. Jabs, Savannah etc, but got a good deal from Stefan. If you are on the market for a Bushbaby, Explorer or Safari, he's your man. Really went out of his way to get the most cost effective option.

Fly safe all and will see you in the skies soon....we will keep you updated with the build.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Starting your plane next week. (^^) See ya tomorrow. We are having boerie rolls for brekkie.

For those who do not know.....Saterday is braai day, bring a worsie and a roll or just rock up and remember to sponsor someone else next time. We braai for breakfast lunch and dinner....... xxx