Age Limitation

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Freek Stegmann
Heard about flying

Age Limitation

Postby Freek Stegmann » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:53 am

Good morning all,

Just a quickie... I am 59 years old, healthy and unfit. I weigh 85 kg and am well versed in virtual aviation; I was the chairman of the AVA (association of Virtual Aviation) and member of the Aeroclub thus, what I'm trying to say, is that I basically understand aviation and have extensive experience as Race Director for Virtual Air Racing as it is an accredited National Sport. (we fly for Provincial and National colours) I also have hundreds of ours online flying with full ATC etc.

I have accepted a position as GM on a game farm just outside Naboomspruit / Mookgophong and can get hold of an old Windlass Trike tandem which I would like to use to patrol the farm as we have a poaching and security problem. I would also like to to an early morning game spotting session to advise the rangers on where to take the guests for game drives.

After all of that... My question is whether I am too old to get the applicable license for a weight shift trike or not?
Freek Stegmann
076 253 9659
freekstegmann@gmail.com

"if all else fails fly inverted..."
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Re: Age Limitation

Postby John.com » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:26 am

Freek Stegmann wrote:Good morning all,

Just a quickie... I am 59 years old, healthy and unfit. I weigh 85 kg and am well versed in virtual aviation; I was the chairman of the AVA (association of Virtual Aviation) and member of the Aeroclub thus, what I'm trying to say, is that I basically understand aviation and have extensive experience as Race Director for Virtual Air Racing as it is an accredited National Sport. (we fly for Provincial and National colours) I also have hundreds of ours online flying with full ATC etc.

I have accepted a position as GM on a game farm just outside Naboomspruit / Mookgophong and can get hold of an old Windlass Trike tandem which I would like to use to patrol the farm as we have a poaching and security problem. I would also like to to an early morning game spotting session to advise the rangers on where to take the guests for game drives.

After all of that... My question is whether I am too old to get the applicable license for a weight shift trike or not?
Greetings Freek, and welcome to real flying!

No, you are not too old . . . by about 20 years!

Go and do a class 4 medical test and see if you are medically fit to fly!

Let me know if you need any names of aviation doctors (and let me know the area you are currently in).

This sounds like a great way to kick off 2014!

Good Luck!

John
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Freek Stegmann
Heard about flying

Postby Freek Stegmann » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 am

Hi John, thanx for the reply; I am currently still in Randburg and would appreciate it if you could point me to a doctor...
Freek Stegmann
076 253 9659
freekstegmann@gmail.com

John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:45 am

Freek Stegmann wrote:Hi John, thanx for the reply; I am currently still in Randburg and would appreciate it if you could point me to a doctor...
Sure, I have sent Theunis de Bruin's contact details to your mobile #.

He is in Roodepoort but well worth the drive there!
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Freek Stegmann wrote:Good morning all,

Freek,I'm at Potgietersrus,and can help you with your Windlass license. (!!)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Freek Stegmann
Heard about flying

Postby Freek Stegmann » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi Nico, thanks; I actually sent you an email a few days ago but it might have gone to your spam folder.
I will definitely take you up on your offer.
Please be kind enough as to email me an estimated cost of the applicable license?
Freek Stegmann
076 253 9659
freekstegmann@gmail.com

nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Freek Stegmann wrote:Hi Nico, thanks; I actually sent you an email a few days ago but it might have gone to your spam folder.
I will definitely take you up on your offer.
Please be kind enough as to email me an estimated cost of the applicable license?
Mail sent... (!!)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:02 pm

Freek,

Andy Branfield at medicross randburg is a great aviation medical guy. Their rooms can be contacted on 0117926391.

Be sure to have a chat with Andy before you go and do the tests, to make sure they know it is only a class 4 medical. The staff at medicross are all too keen to have all the tests done before you talk to him, and they just do everything that is required for a class 1, unless they are told otherwise.

Good luck with the latest adventure
Freek Stegmann
Heard about flying

Postby Freek Stegmann » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:10 pm

Thank you very much for this CV, much appreciated as it will be much more convenient for me!!!
Freek Stegmann
076 253 9659
freekstegmann@gmail.com

CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Freek Stegmann wrote:Thank you very much for this CV, much appreciated as it will be much more convenient for me!!!
No Worries Freek, keep us all posted with your progress... it is always good to hear about what is happening with guys starting out... Brings back great memories...

You will be in Great Hands with Nico, he has a fantastic way of encouraging nervous newbies... He got me in the air at Numbi when I was still second guessing myself...

Have a good one

Craig
Nattyfish
Signed up at flight school

Doctors Close to Fochville

Postby Nattyfish » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:12 am

Good Day
I know this is quite an old post :)
I am in Fochville and I need to do a type 4 medical , any info on doctors close by would be appreciated
If you could pm me or sms ,
Thanks
Eyes To The Sky :shock:
From The Pen of:
Natty"Flying"Fish
"Positive Thoughts Generate Positive Results"
klein
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby klein » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:34 pm

Sorry for the high jack. ##

To get back to original posts, does anybody know if Freek is flying – done training? I see this is the only posts that came from him.

(^^)
I have slipped the surely bonds of earth, and danced the sky’s on laughter-silvered wings ------- Keith Ferris