Exam upgrade

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Sam
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Exam upgrade

Postby Sam » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:55 am

Has any instructor been notified by RAASA of the impending upgrade of the exams. I have been told by RAASA that a email was sent to all instructors. I have yet to find anyone that received this email. The upgrade includes using many books to learn from including - FAA-8083-25 Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
- FAA-8083-5 Weight Shift Control Aircraft Handbook
- FAA-8083-3 Airplane Flying Handbook
- FAA-H-8083-21 Gyrocopter (Rotorcraft) Flying Handbook
- FAA-H-8083-13 Glider Flying Handbook
- PPL Handbook – Jim Davis
- Avex Air Human Performance
- Avex Air – Navigation
- Radio Telephony – Dietland Lemp
- RAASA published Airlaw Hand Book

- Aviation Weather for Southern Africa – Gerhard Venter

I believe this is leading to the same situation that the part 61 in in. Far too much theory. We are going to loose students if this happens.

THIS CONCERNS EVERYONE if you are not happy with this please raise your concerns with Donald Hicks or RAASA.
Spirit Hawk
Looking at the sky

Re: Exam upgrade

Postby Spirit Hawk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Neither Denis or Paul Kinsley have received any notification from RAASA.
We agree.Theory can't replace actual flight experience.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:53 pm

I received a mail on the 11th of Nov 2013.
To all ATOs conducting training in terms of Part 62 and 68.

The update of the exam questions database is underway. It is vital that all schools are using similar approved course material for the content of the lectures and the study material for students.

We are considering all disciplines of flying, and have identified the following source materials as most commonly used by schools:

- FAA-8083-25 Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

- FAA-8083-5 Weight Shift Control Aircraft Handbook

- FAA-8083-3 Airplane Flying Handbook

- FAA-H-8083-21 Gyrocopter (Rotorcraft) Flying Handbook

- FAA-H-8083-13 Glider Flying Handbook

- Aviation Weather for Southern Africa – Gerhard Venter

- PPL Handbook – Jim Davis

- Avex Air Human Performance

- Avex Air – Navigation

- Radio Telephony – Dietland Lemp

- RAASA published Airlaw Hand Book

Of course there may be some additional source material which may also be included or recommended for use which has not been considered thus far. We therefore request schools to notify Chris Badenhorst at e-mail: gardenroute@telkomsa.net of any additional study material which could be used as source material. Please note we will only be utilising material which is published or is completed by Regulatory Authorities.

Your comments must be received by no later than 20th November 2013.

The contents of this mail are for the named recipients only and it is not intended for general circulation.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
wildthing
First solo

Postby wildthing » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Hello Sam (Deon).

Here is the message that RAASA sent to 22 Part 62 ATO owner/Instructors following a meeting and telephonic discussions with Grade A instructors and Industry representatives.
If you have any questions or wish to participate, please feel free to contact me.
Our communication have been limited to Part 62/68 ATO’s as Grade A instructors only, however anybody is welcome to add value by submitting proposals to Chris or RAASA.

Dear Instructors.

Following my conversations with many of you to clarify the process for the update to the RAASA exam database, I am including you in this e-mail in order to be a part of the process and adding your knowledge and experience to this project, after all you are the subject experts.

In summary, the RAASA exams are being updated to ensure that proper training and safety standards are upheld.
RAASA will not develop these standards in isolation and your input and contributions are critical to the success of developing our sport and industry.

Following a meeting at the RAASA offices late last year, Chris Badenhorst was appointed as the project coordinator and will liaise with all senior instructors for part 62 and 68.
Please offer your time and expertise to this process by communicating with Chris and advising on exam questions and answers.

Chris Badenhorst
gardenroute@telkomsa.net
Cell: 0844212164

On completion of the provisional exam database a panel of senior instructors will meet at the RAASA boardroom to consider and vet the questions and answers prior to final approval and implementation into the online system.
If any senior instructors have been omitted from this or any other communication, please accept our apologies and feel free to contact us to be part of the process.

We understand that many of you are busy and don’t always have time to work on such matters, but your efforts will be appreciated.
Should you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Chris or me for further clarity.

Regards

Pierre
Kobus Louw
Heard about flying

Postby Kobus Louw » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Pierre

Ek het na die RAASA geskakel om te prober uitvind wanneer die eksamen (WSC) verander, maar daar was ongelukkig niemand beskikbaar wat my kon antwoord nie. Gaan die verandering reeds in Mei n aanvang neem of nie?