Tail dragger for Zambia - lots of questions!

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Africanex
Heard about flying

Tail dragger for Zambia - lots of questions!

Postby Africanex » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:41 am

Hi all, this is my first post here and I am looking for some advice.
Years ago (10) I went solo on a weight shift in the UK (and a bit of flying in Spain), up to cross country navigation flights, but never completed as I had to return to Africa and where I was then there was no opportunity to continue. So, ten years on and I am a part-owner of a safari lodge in Zambia and a friend is offering to sell me his three axis Chinook Plus 2 (912 engine). The price is good, the history and build of the plane is excellent, the airframe and engine are around 200hrs. I have spent quite a few hours in the back seat of it flying around looking for poachers in the South Luangwa and I would love to own it and fly it here.

Zambia is a bit funny about microlights, we understand that you currently cannot bring one in so this opportunity is starting to look really good... My plan would be to come down south to you guys and do my license. Before I make any commitments I need some advice.

1) Can anyone tell me the exact medical requirements as I would like to consult a doctor here to just check that I would pass okay before I proceed. I understand it is a class 4 med exam, but what exactly does that entail?

2) Recommended schools and possibilities to end up with a license that would enable me to come back up and start building a hanger and a strip (and struggle with Zambian DCA regulations and beauracracy)! Does anyone in SA teach on a Chinook, if not then what would be my options?

Thanks a lot in advance guys,
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Tail dragger for Zambia - lots of questions!

Postby KFA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Welcome to our forum. Our school spesialize in Tailwheel training. We are based at the Petit airfield in Benoni, Gauteng. We use a Safari LSA aircraft for the purpose. As far as I know we are the only dedicated Taildragger school in South Africa. You can have a look at our websites www.saplanes.co.za and www.fun2fly.co.za. Also have a look at www.raasa.co.za for the legal requirements. We also offer accomodation at the airfield and we are only 8nm from the OT Tambo international airport. You can contact me at info@fun2fly.co.za.
Stefan
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
WhiteEagle
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby WhiteEagle » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Call Dirk Oelofse, he has a Flight Training School in Rundu, jus a hop over the border from you. He is very clued up on al the legislation, medical ea. details and requirements. +2648one14three04six4.
"Good judgement usually comes from experience. Experience usually comes from bad judgement."
Africanex
Heard about flying

Postby Africanex » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks guys. Stefan; I will be dropping you a mail.

So would training on one of Stefan's taildraggers allow me to fly a Chinook? Sorry, I am new to this as I mentioned and not in the know at all about types and training and all that.

And the medicals - can anyone tell me what it comprises?
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:03 am

Welcome to the forum (^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Dobbs
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi Africanex, I have a friend who flies a trike in Zambia, if you want, I can supply his contact details.

He imported his plane from South Africa, and it took around 2 years for him to get airborn, but maybe talking to him can assist in reducing this time.

PM me your email address if you want to go this route.

Regards

Donovan