Advice please.

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
INMODERATI
Heard about flying

Advice please.

Postby INMODERATI » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:05 am

Good day all,

I have been wanting to start microlighting for years now but have never really had the time as i work offshore and my time at home is very short when i am home. Its come to a point now where i cannot control this need to start anymore. ##
I live in Cape Town and would like some advice as to who to go to for my training, which qualification i would require to fly a microlight - im looking at the Cobra or Air Borne ones - not really sure as, like i said im very new to this. But Fly i MUST! (-)

Thank you.
Live life, laugh often and have as much fun as you can get away with!
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Re: Advice please.

Postby Air Hog » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:21 am

Grumpy, maybe you can assist and refer to a local flying school
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
INMODERATI
Heard about flying

Postby INMODERATI » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:55 am

Looks like the Cape Town community is not as helpful as the Northern Areas hey. Oh well, Pretoria, here i come. Can anyone from the Pretoria area suggest a school to get my Microlight Pilot Licence?
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:08 am

INMODERATI wrote:Looks like the Cape Town community is not as helpful as the Northern Areas hey. Oh well, Pretoria, here i come. Can anyone from the Pretoria area suggest a school to get my Microlight Pilot Licence?
Hey there,

Depends on which side of PTA you will be based... If you are on the Centurion side, give Flo a call at Centurion Flight Centre... If you are more to the east, then the Guys at Microland are a fantatsic bunch of guys... If you are more North, then there are guys at Rosslyn (Although I don't know them yet...)

From my personal experience, I can only recommned Flo, but I am sure the other guys in the area will give you relative info on the other schools... if you need Flo's details PM me and I will send you his number...

Hope you come right

Craig
INMODERATI
Heard about flying

Postby INMODERATI » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Hey Craig,

Thanks a bunch man! I am actually based in Cape Town but havent had any luck with the Southeners down here regardimng the schools or training, so i am flying up to Pretoria to do my pilots license. I will stay wherever i have to. Thank you for the information though, i will get in contact with all of them and see what they have to say.

Regards

Morne
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:43 pm

INMODERATI wrote:Hey Craig,

Thanks a bunch man! I am actually based in Cape Town but havent had any luck with the Southeners down here regardimng the schools or training, so i am flying up to Pretoria to do my pilots license. I will stay wherever i have to. Thank you for the information though, i will get in contact with all of them and see what they have to say.

Regards

Morne
Let us know if you can't find somebody in GP-I'll sent you tel nrs for instructors .
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:49 pm

INMODERATI wrote:Hey Craig,

Regards

Morne
Morne,

If you need to chat about the planning, give me a call on o8 three 2five6 8three6one...

Cheers

Craig
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 pm

INMODERATI wrote:I live in Cape Town
My sincere condolences Sir.... :mrgreen:

Just Kidding. :)

Hi Inmoderati, and welcome to the forum and the samoosa world. (^^) So the bug has bitten you and I'm afraid there is no turning back. You must fly a trike...the end. (!!)

I currently serve on the Misasa Committee (Microlight and Light Sportplane Ass of SA) and I'm sorry you've had no luck in your enquiries for training... :roll: I really wish some of our ATO's would spend more time on the forum... because they miss out on many potential students! ## I'd be willing to bet they are the same ones who complain about being so quiet. :wink:

Anyway...

You will have no problems up in the big "smoke" I assure you. 8)

As Craig has mentioned, Flo is a good instructor and a great place to start. We are surrounded by top quality schools all around Gauteng...you are really spoilt for choice to be honest. (!!)

Good luck to you and enjoy your training...keep us informed, there are lots of experienced pilots here with a wealth of knowlege to share!
CVStrong
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby CVStrong » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:02 pm

Hey Morne,

If you are coming up this side of the world for your training, you must make sure even if you dont train there, to be at the monthly braai at microland... Bundy being one of the hosts...

The guys there are part of what made decide that there was no going back in getting involved in microlights...

The tailwinds guys are an excellent bunch of people...
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:33 am

Hey there.

I think all the Cape Town crowd are trying not to think about flying until the weather clears.

Where about in Cape Town are you? There are several options. Morningstar is the most active area, Olivia Savile @ 021 801 4406 or Bobby Heimann @ 083 250 8849 Morningstar Flight Academy. They can help. Out Durbanville way is
Aerosport, contact Louis:
Email Address training@aerosport.co.za
Office Telephone: 021 820 4744 or +27 (0) 21 975-3891
Office Fax: +27 (0) 21 982-2017
Louis van Wyk(Cell): +27 (0) 83 675-3541

And further afield is Johan Froneman in Saldahna
Tel: 082 457 9509
Email: jfroneman@kingsley.co.za
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP