Radio Speak! VFR Communications Training Tool

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Radio Speak! VFR Communications Training Tool

Postby John.com » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Calling MPL/LSA Instructors and other Interested Pilots!

Learning to become proficient in 'radio speak' is one area that a lot of newby (and some slightly older :wink: ) pilots struggle with. As I see it, the problem that has always existed is that any training a new pilot can get their hands on is not specific to THEIR area, airstrip, etc., whereas this proposed tool allows a pilot to input the criteria for THEIR airstrip and THEIR planned route and for them to practice the 'radio speak' pertinent to THEIR FLIGHT until getting it right, and BEFORE heading into the skies!

Please can you indicate whether you think there may be an appetite for such a tool, i.e. for the training of students in radio communications for both the non-towered and towered (unmanned and manned) environments.

For example, an MPL pilot experienced in flying at non-towered (unmanned) airstrips could use the towered (manned) training tool, which is still in development, for brushing up on those infrequently used skills if having to fly into a towered (manned) airport.

So, available now as a beta version is the first of the two tools, which is for flying from/to non-towered (unmanned) airports.

The second tool, which is significantly more complex to construct, would be for the towered (manned) airports, and would involve multiple permutations of communicating with ATC.

So, below are some screenshots of the inputs for the VFR Communications Training Tool for Non-Towered Airports.

Also, attached is a pdf of an example of the output which a pilot would obtain after inputting the data of his route (note: the radio frequency change data is for illustration purposes only).

It would be good to get some comments from instructors and any other interested parties so as to ensure that the language used is generic enough for all to live with, and to correct any 'radio speak' before finalising the tool and making it available to all and sundry!

I would be happy to forward the beta version of the tool to instructors/others to look at and play with on the condition that it is not released into the field until version 1.0 (first release) is updated/issued. The tool is written in MS Excel. So please PM me if you are interested in taking a look.

Any comments or suggestions?

Safe Skies (-)

John.com

1. Aircraft Details Take-On
Radio Speak! - Version BETA 1.1 - Non-Towered ONLY - AC Take-On.png
2. Input Data
Radio Speak! - Version BETA 1.1 - Non-Towered ONLY - Input Screen.jpg
3. PDF of Output
Radio Speak! - Version BETA 1.1 - Non-Towered ONLY - EXAMPLE.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Radio Speak! VFR Communications Training Tool

Postby nicow » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:35 am

Thanks John.com (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO