Getting Started

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
FDB
Looking at the sky

Getting Started

Postby FDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 am

Hi all.

I'm thinking of getting into Microlighting..
Been doing dirtbiking for years, but had a big crash and now need a calmer hobby as i'm getting too old to crash so often. :)
I always liked the idea of flying, and microlights is where i want to go.

How safe is microlighting really?
How much typically per year does it cost to maintain this hobby if i own my own microlight (average)?
Where does one start? I have never flown in one before. Maybe i should pay to go up with someone, and decide from there?

Cheerz
Francois
Sad-Ham
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Getting Started

Postby Sad-Ham » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:05 am

Hi Francios

Where are you located?

The best way to start is to go to a club near you and have an introductory flight with an instructor.............. but be very careful..... (**) (**) once the bug bites , theres NO going back!!!!

cheers

Phil
Aquilla II ZU-DJS
Wingfield - 124.8
FDB
Looking at the sky

Postby FDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 am

Thanx.
I'm in Pretoria (East).
Which instructors are closeby that does Intro flights?
Sad-Ham
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Sad-Ham » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:42 am

I'm from Vanderbijlpark so im not sure which airfields are close to you. Put a thread on Hanger Talk and im sure some of the PTA guys will get back to you... maybe even offer to take you for a flip. If you are ever dowm Vanderbijl way you are welcome to give me a call

The guys are very helpful on this forum.

cheers
Aquilla II ZU-DJS
Wingfield - 124.8
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Pretoria East is very close to Rhino Park.. theres a HIVE of activity there, with I think two ? good schools based there. Great facility, great cameraderie and a good place to learn. Before commiting, first ascertain whether you want to fly fixed wing (Conventionally Controlled Microlights) or a trike (WSM Weight Shift Microlights) - each has its own set of disciplines and pros and cons. It all depends on what you feel comfy flying in and, what it is you want to do with your flying. i.e, do you want to stay close to home and fly the patch, or do you think you may want to venture out on 2/3 day expeditions. If so, research and find a plane with decent luggage space and a bigger long range fuel tank.

Either way, its an addictive sport, one which does require discipline and commitment. Getting a license isnt the hardest thing to do, its staying safe after the license that requires some good decision making.

Costs can range from pretty cheap to F&^^%% expensive.... all depends on what it is that you want from the sport. (^^) (^^) (^^)
RV9
DISH
FDB
Looking at the sky

Postby FDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanx Sad-Ham. :)
Dish. Rhino Park is very close to me. We did some dirtbiking and 4x4'ing there often.
I did not know there are two types of microlights. This is all very new to me. Knowing myself, i would want to take a 2/3 day trip eventually.
I'm moving away from the dirtbikes into something "safer" so doing this right and safely would be my most important drive.

Thanx for all the help so far.
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Dish, fear not a Bantam can also do a 2/3 day trip???

Trikes (WCM) and Fixed wings are all capable of long flights so do not be misled by the Dish :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go for a flight in both before u make up yr mind and speak to folk at the airfield. It will soon become clear to you which you would prefer.
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
Turbo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Turbo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:45 pm

ill second the bug bites comment -- im also new to this, and i have purchased a plane and a hangar, absolutely love it!