Conversion from PPL Fix wing to Weight Shift

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Squirrel
First solo

Conversion from PPL Fix wing to Weight Shift

Postby Squirrel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:04 am

Hi All

Just want to ask the instructors out there what is the minimum requirements to do a conversion on a Weight shift (Aquilla) and what is the average time most people need ?. I am a PPL with the normal Cessna’s & Pipers on my license. Don't think that I will get confused with the reverse controls of the weight shift. Bought one already. Please update me. Don't have the Raasa rules with me and I am not 100% on what I get to read from CAA.

Thanks
Gustav
Gustav
ZU-LUI HKS Aquilla 2
ZU-BVM Pegasus Quantum Supersport
Squirrel
First solo

Re: Conversion from PPL Fix wing to Weight Shift

Postby Squirrel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:27 pm

Sorry I see now there is a post of "Part 61 to WCM" without answers.
I watched a 15 year old going solo today at FAWB with a C172 in less than 10 hours from scratch. His landings were perfect. As far as I know you only need to fly until the instructor is happy and must do a little technical on the spesific type. I convert from C'nas to PA's in less than an hour. Same type of flying yes. Spoke to an instructor today and asked what is the minimum hours needed to go solo and his answer was there is no minimum, but a spesific part of the sylabus must be completed and can be done in about 7 hrs, but that will be very risky with very few landings done. Between 10 & 15 will be good and normal. Know an ex ppl who converted to weight shift in 12 hours and he admit he found the reverse controls difficult. At the end I think a conversion will have to satisfy the instructor and he must be comfortable to sign you out. It will not be the same time for everyone. will report after getting the answer. I completed my renewal yesterday. Now it is time for the M/L :!:
Gustav
ZU-LUI HKS Aquilla 2
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:14 am

Welcome to microlighting boet... We're a good bunch really vhpy vhpy vhpy
RV9
DISH
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi Gustav,

Great to see you considering 'real flying'! :wink:

Over and above the 'time to convert' you will need to give some serious thought/time to this:

"Speed of response is a function of habit strength"!

Why do I mention this?

In my hang-gliding days I flew with a PPL pilot, who was a very good hang-glider pilot. However, on one occasion when attempting to top-land (what you do when you're cool!) he encountered a rotor and all those watching concurred that rather than push-out to flair as he encountered the terrain, he PULLED IN, vastly increasing the impact force, resulting in a fatal accident. :shock:

So, my point is this . . . . you can convert quite easily and by doing minimal hours. The problem arrises when something goes wrong (close to the ground?) and the pressure is on and one needs to respond FAST! In situations such as these YOUR SPEED OF RESPONSE IS A FUNCTION OF YOUR HABIT STRENGTH! If that habit strength has been developed over many years of three-axis flying, you MAY JUST do the opposite of what you should do! :shock:

So, one needs MANY hours of WSC flying to retrain the right habits for WSC aircraft!

Anyway, having lost a close friend as explained above, I owe it to you to share this.

Good luck with your conversion . . . . :wink:

I hope to see you in the sky soon! (^^)

John.com
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Squirrel
First solo

Postby Squirrel » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks Dish and John. I can't wait. I am following the forum for a while and noted a strong brotherhood between everyone.
Yes John, true words and thanks for the awareness warning. 1st Rule in flying is Always safety first and the 2nd rule is to read no1 again. When changing between different machinery your mindset must be right and stuck with the one you are busy with. I know of other accidents too because of the reverse pull/push and at he end nothing compare to experience. I know an old experienced helicopter and fix wing pilot with more than 7000 hrs on each with a lot of different models and he always say you must just get your mind right before each flight. Never exeed your own or the a/c's limits.
I hope to meet a lot of the microlighters in future. a New chapter of real flying has started and the only thing I want is to enjoy and unwind the everyday pressure.
Gustav
ZU-LUI HKS Aquilla 2
Biggles of Africa
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Biggles of Africa » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Squirrel, I can only echo what has been said, as John pointed out, it is all easy enough to fly backwards and upside down, so to speak when everything is in the box and you have time to think it through.
It is when you have to act instinctively that you will find yourself pulling, rather than pushing, or shoving the bar out left instead of right to pick up a wing.
The only cure for that is currency on type, fly, fly fly and fly some more to develop habit strength, and stay current on the aerie.
You say you have already bought your own aerie, then you half way there already, you have one less factor limiting the time you can fly, good move.
Inevetably, it is the high hour PPL or three axis pilot that typically flies a weight shift once or twice a month that is going to hurt himself/herself when all of a sudden called on to act instinctively.
Squirrel
First solo

Postby Squirrel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:30 am

Thanks Biggles. I can see it is realy a worry to you guys and I will engrave it deeply. After completion I will do lots of C & L's to practice. I hope to fly a lot. I don't want to do the conversion in record time, just wandering if there is a minimum. There will be certain things to complete, like stalls, enough take off and landings etc. Want to keep my 'great' landings to the same amount as take offs and want to use the same aerie again!. Also want to do conversions in time on other 3 axis too like the Bantam, Savanna etc.,but for myself most hours in future will be on WCM. There is a lot to learn from all you guys, even things like where to go and so on.

I saw the video of John's wet grass landing and he did well to choose the bush. Good one John and quick thinking.
Gustav
ZU-LUI HKS Aquilla 2
Biggles of Africa
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Biggles of Africa » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:56 am

Here is the official requirement;

Ok, from the horses mouth, so to speak.
Spoke to Willem at RAASA and the story is as follows.
To convert from Part61 license to WCM, the following experience is required;
1) 10 Hours Dual instruction
2) 5 Solo Landings and take offs
3) Flight Test
Instructor can waive the cross country at his discretion.
Two theory exams need to be written, these being ATG and Theory of flight (Trikes)

I booked and wrote my two exams with RAASA, back to back, no fuss at all, I was in and out in 30min both exams done.
Just give them a call, their service is top notch.
Squirrel
First solo

Postby Squirrel » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:49 am

Hi Biggles thank you very much vhpy
Gustav
ZU-LUI HKS Aquilla 2
Squirrel
First solo

Postby Squirrel » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51 pm

It is not going to bad out there considering how almost impossible it is to get time with instructors!. My 1st session for the conversion was cancelled due to weather. Have a few bookings between 2 & 24 April with Fanie & kie @ Microland. Far for me, but I am so desperate I will go even further. Was thinking of going to Ballito to Dave Jackson, but this year the chance to get bad weather is to good and don't want to give Paul a chance to take zulu1 back :lol:
It is in fact, to convert from part61 to wcm, a min of 10 hrs dual training, 5 x solo take off & landings, test and to write technical & principles. Hopefully I can join in the air soon.
Gustav
ZU-LUI HKS Aquilla 2
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Ah yes... the famous Zulu1 vhpy

Welcome Squirell, I hope you get your hours in and the conversion (NPL) done with minimal fuss.

Skyriders is always busy unfortunately but I can tell you they really are one of the best and Fanie and Merv will get you sorted in no time. The "reverse" controls will be a challenge, but its exactly the same for trikers who go on to bliks I guess? :wink: Just takes lots of practice.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the open cockpit. (^^) Air conditioning comes std mate....enjoy! (!!)

Feel free to join the Tailwind's for a cold one at FABA one weekend.(after flying of course! ^ )

We braai every 3rd Sat of the month too. vhpy

Where will you be hangering?
Squirrel
First solo

Postby Squirrel » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks Bundy. I started the conversion yesterday with Mervin & Fanie. Will hanger at Kroon because it’s closer to home for a quickie before/after work. I Like the vibes at Skyriders and the "onnies" is well qualified with a passion. I will definitely attend a braai to meet as many pilots and new friends as possible. Got a lot to learn and need as much experience as possible and can learn a lot just to listen. I have a PPL, but did not fly a lot and when I do, it is mostly in FAWB's GF.
Gustav
ZU-LUI HKS Aquilla 2
J.a.N
Thinking of flying

Postby J.a.N » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Can someone tell me if the requirement is still 10hrs dual and 5 solo take offs and landings?

J.a.N
Microlight Pilot in training!