Advanced Training really good idea.

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Advanced Training really good idea.

Postby Bundy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:28 am

With a 2000 nm journey coming up next year, I decided a few weeks back to get stuck into some advanced training over the next few months leading up to our trip. I have a couple things that have been bugging me for some time now that I have not been able to correct on my own.

I cant tell you how happy I am to have made this decision!

Yesterday I went up with my "new" instructor in conditions a fair bit outside my comfort zone and I can tell you I learnt more in that 1 hr than I have in the last 50 :shock: Two terrible landings were part of the learning process :oops:

Just small corrections made to my technique are allready making a massive difference. I highly reccommend this type of training for any pilot at any level. Chat to your school....
Loco
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Advanced Training really good idea.

Postby Loco » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi Alan please tell me more what is the 'curriculum' I'm very interested to enroll on such a course

Cheers
Anr
Anthony Hugo

Crosswinds
Proud member of The Chain Gang
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18311
http://www.facebook.com/groups/574736389205283/
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:22 am

Ant, some schools offer a "fixed curriculum" but at the end of the day, it's about concentrating on specific tasks/aspects.

On my list for the next few months are:

1: Situational Awareness (learning how to make the correct decisions)
2: Flying in Turbulence
3: Forced "short field" landings.
4: Outlandings and precautionaries (fields, roads etc)
5: Crosswinds (speed, approach, control)

Initial training teaches you to be prepared and to execute these tasks safely. To fly well within the limits and to control the aircraft properly in good conditions....now think about this....

...you are on a cross country, over undulating terrain and it's bumpy. That comforting "hum" from behind starts to splutter and choke. The rev's start dropping... the plane lurches slightly as the prop eventually stops. It all goes quiet. Your heart starts pumping as you scan for a landing spot... all you see is hills and trees and bush scrub. Suddenly you see it...that small space 700 ft below and to your right...is it?...yes it is...your only option....

...I leave it up to you to decide what the outcome will be?

This type of training will def help you to be a prepared as possible for that (hopefully never) occasion. Whether we like it or not, sooner or later we will end up in a situation that demands more than we are usually capable of. Yes, it's that moment of realisation that usually co incides with a swear word or two "Why the F#2k did I take off??" Too late, here I am and I need to get down safely...are you prepared enough?

It's not about learning to fly in the K@K so that you can go out every weekend and do it....it's about learning how to make the best of a bad situation by having the right tools in the tool box. ^
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:12 am

I fully agree that all should do this training. I did. My CFI will only do this with pilots with more than 100 hrs and I agree with him, first get some hours and then do this advance course. It will make you a better pilot.

Fly safe.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Nacho
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Nacho » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Also want to do this type of "advanced" training! Was thinking about it the other day. Taking off purposely in windy conditions, and learning how to cope with it. There are mountains all around my field, and the landing strip is actually on the one bank of the mountain, I ALWAYS nip, and don't feel 100% comfortable.

Who can one talk to for this type of training?
WvB aka Nacho
wvbosch@gmail.com
ZU-FFS (-)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Not sure exactly where you are based Nacho?

Skyriders does offer Advanced training. I'm pretty sure Rhino does too?