Taildragger Conversion - Reasonable Rates

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
waynepowell
Found a flight school

Taildragger Conversion - Reasonable Rates

Postby waynepowell » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 am

Hi All,

Would anyone be able to assist me with finding a taildragger in the greater Gauteng area that I can do my initial-tail on? If need be I would be willing to travel further.

I have done my research and these things are like hen's teeth and unfortunately when you DO find one, the rates are ridiculous because of that very reason.
I am not fussy on what type of aerie it is (Cheetah, KitFox, Cubby etc) but I need to get a taildragger on my license as soon as possible as I am looking to acquire an aircraft that is a taily - but before I can go any further I need a "similar type" on my license.

I am quite willing to do an extensive course on one, as required by the ATO - I don't wish to cut any corners or anything, but I think it's unreasonable to pay a C182 rate on something that's made of cloth and tupperware with a Rotax engine in, just because it has a wheel coming out of it's arse and not it's nose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Taildragger Conversion - Reasonable Rates

Postby KFA » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:41 am

Hi Wayne,
We specialize in Tailwheel training. Unfortunate we are in Komatipoort but we have good accomodation available for R200/night. www.fun2fly.co.za or give me a buzz 082 six zero 1 8970.
Regards
Stefan
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Lsat.Co.Za at rhino park will have a taildragger for instruction soon...
Goose
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Goose » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:27 pm

waynepowell wrote:Hi All,
I don't wish to cut any corners or anything, but I think it's unreasonable to pay a C182 rate on something that's made of cloth and tupperware with a Rotax engine in, just because it has a wheel coming out of it's arse and not it's nose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

That thing made of cloth and Tupperware with a Rotax in front and wheel in its arse WILL cost TWICE as much as the C182 to insure. And even more if it is used for training. That makes the deference in the cost :!: :!: :!:

Contact Stefan at Kitplanes in Komatipoort :wink:
thys bas
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby thys bas » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:38 pm

I agree with Goose.

And WHY, you may ask? Why are there no tail wheel aircraft in the 'normal' flight schools? Why is it so difficult to get tail wheel training? Why are there so few tail wheel instructors? Why does it take MUCH longer to get your license on a tail wheel aircraft?

Why can you not get your aircraft first and then learn to fly the thing at lower cost? :wink: or, go do your license on a nose wheel first, then do conversion to tail wheel which should take you only 10 to 15 hours stick time, depending on type and time per week you spend in the aircraft. Please do yourself a favor and do not fly once a month, then you will be wasting your time. Same, do not make your lessons longer than 1.5 hrs each and no more than two per day.

Six weeks and no flying? don't even think about it! (**) You will be reminded of your slackness at your first next flight :shock: ##

But, it is worth all the trouble to get your tail wheel license. It forces you to fly every second weekend and keeps you on your toes all the time.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Just a correction thys bas. It only takes about 3-5 hrs more to do your license on a tailwheel. We find that most guys that start on a tailwheel are non the wiser and they hardly show signs of knowing the difference. It is the guys that arrive with a preconceived idea that the tailwheel is difficult to learn that keeps my cashflow going.....
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
microlightadventures
Ready for the first flight

Postby microlightadventures » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:07 pm

I have one at Petit.....Cheetah 912 Extra.....what would you then like to pay for your training in this tupperware aerie??? which flies like the real thing ????Unfortunately they do costs a lot to maintain in this catagory and they are more expensive than the 185's to ensure et.et.et.....will help if i can....Andy...0826517317
Renegade2
Looking at the sky

Postby Renegade2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 pm

I did my tail dragger conversion with Andy last year, and would recommend both the instruction and the Cheetah to anyone wishing to do the conversion.

Before I started the training, I was extremely nervous, because of all the stories I had heard about how difficult tail draggers can be. Within the first hour, I made a couple of acceptable landings – both 3 point and wheeler landings. Cheetahs do nice wheel landings by the way in spite of what you may have heard. Granted – I had over 100 hours in a tricycle gear Cheetah when I started the conversion and there was absolutely no wind, but it was not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. The next time out with more wind was not so easy, and it takes a while to get the hang of it, but the first hour was a huge confidence boost. I now have the Murphy Renegade on my license too. I am very glad I started on the Cheetah though for 3 reasons. The Cheetah has an enclosed cockpit with side by side seating which makes understanding the instructor a lot easier. You can see over the nose – even in the three point attitude. It is fairly directionally stable on the ground which means you can be a bit slower in you reactions and still get away with it.

Tail draggers are enormous fun, and the training is good for sharpening up your skills, even if you don’t intend to move on to tail draggers permanently.