Advice please - PPL or NPL

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
FJR
Found a flight school

Advice please - PPL or NPL

Postby FJR » Sat May 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi, i need some advice please.
My SPL expired 18 months ago, but I would like to get back in the sky again. I was doing my PPL and have done 45 hours, of which about 18 hours was solo. At the point when I stopped, I stell needed about 3 hours instrument flying, and 3 hours cross country. I also needed to do the 7 exams and then lastly, the flight test.
I was doing it the PPL on a C-172 (ZS-FJT) at Piet Kriel's flight school at Krugersdorp. Then disaster struck: first FJT was written off by another student, and then two months later Piet Kriel was killed in an aircraft accident. That is also where I stopped with the PPL - close to finishing.
Now it's 30 months later, and I really want to get flying again. However, looking a the cost of flying, and thinking seriously to fly LSA, rather than blik aeries, I am wondering if it is worth continuing the PPL on a C-172, or should I switch maybe to NPL and complete the license on a LSA aircraft. To finish the PPL will probably take me 15 hours or so, as I need to become current first, and then continue to finish the instrument training, etc. At say R1500 per hour or more, this will add up to almost R25k. After that, I will still need to do the conversion to a LSA type aircraft.
Will it not be better to then rather switch to a NPL now and find a flight school that flies a Jabiru or similar, or would you advise me to finish the PPL and then swith to LSA.
Looking forward to hear your opinion!
Francois
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Advice please - PPL or NPL

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun May 06, 2012 11:18 am

Depends on your future ambitions.

If you're content with only flying max one pax, have no intention of IFR or night rating and not interested of some nice aerries just too big for LSA catagory and like to tinker on your own plane then stay Lsa.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
FJR
Found a flight school

Postby FJR » Tue May 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks Tumbleweed, I will be flying for my own recreation only,so NPL should be sufficient.
I see there is another guy that posted a similar question on Avcom, only a few hours after I posted mine here. I'll study his post, and all the comments on that post too.
Best regards
Francois
Dish
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Dish » Tue May 08, 2012 5:03 pm

LSA boet.... Fun affordable flying with facking fantastic freaky friends...
RV9
DISH
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Tue May 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Seeing as you already have most of the hours, just finish your PPL on an LSA type aircraft (eg Jabiru at LSAT). Will cost just about the same, and you have a few more options...
FJR
Found a flight school

Postby FJR » Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks Dish & Justin
Am I right in thinking that if I only fly LSA aircraft, that I will be able to maintain the PPL? E.g. If I fly say a Thunderbird, will this count for maintaining the PPL?
If I hold a PPL, can I convert to a trike, or is another (new) licence required?
Sorry if my questions are a bit stupid/ignorant, I don't know much about trikes and other microlights. However, I went for a flip in a trike at Ballito a while ago, and the thrill was tremendous. I can get used to the feeling of freedom experienced with a trike!
I suppose the cost of flying trikes are considerably less than say a Jabi?
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Wed May 09, 2012 7:32 am

justin.schoeman wrote:Seeing as you already have most of the hours, just finish your PPL on an LSA type aircraft (eg Jabiru at LSAT). Will cost just about the same, and you have a few more options...
I agree with Justin. Finish PPL on LSA plane. (You have gone so far). If at later stage you want to fly a Cessna or Piper, you can do conversion.
For recreational purpose, LSA is the way to go.
Flying Trikes are a different kettle of fish. Controls opposite. Forward is up, left on the wheel turns right etc. I love my Trike flying but it was difficult when I did my conversion to 3-axes. Almost did a couple of %$#@.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
lkamfer
Looking at the sky

Postby lkamfer » Wed May 09, 2012 7:49 am

Hi Francois

I have been in contact with RAASA earlier this week in connection with a conversion from PPL to Weight-Shift. This is what you need:

Student License
Principles of Flight exam
Airframes Exam
10 hours dual
5 solo take-offs & landings
Cross country on discretion of instructor, if you did your PPL the cross country can be relaxed.
Flight Test

In my opinion the PPL is more expensive and more work, but as been said earlier, you have so much more options.

Regards
Lourens
Fly to fly again!
FJR
Found a flight school

Postby FJR » Wed May 09, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi Lourens & AirHog
Thanks for the advice!
It seems the way to go is to finish the PPL on a Jabi or similar, and then take it from there, depending on what I purchase to fly with.
Best regards
Francois