Part 61 to WCM

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Biggles of Africa
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Part 61 to WCM

Postby Biggles of Africa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi All
I have searched and asked high and low and no one can give me a definitive answer as to what is involved converting from a Part61 license to WCM.
I have asked various people with various answers, been to the RAASA website, their matrix is confusing and offers up no answers to my thick scull.
So what I am asking is a definitive answer from someone who has jumped through the hoops or one of the instructors, how many hours does a person have to do to get licensed on WCM if one already holds or has held a Part61 license?
Please guys, I am not looking for a "I think it is so and so", I need to know the actual numbers so I can plan forward, "you need X dual and Y solo also Z amount of whatever"
The CARS says;
Experience
62.05.2 (1) An applicant for the issuing of an initial type rating for weight-shift controlled microlight aeroplanes shall have completed not less than 25 hours flight time as a pilot of a weight-shift controlled microlight aeroplane, of which at least 15 hours shall be solo flight time, and which shall include –
(a)
one dual cross-country flight and one solo cross-country flight, each of a duration of not less than 90 minutes flown at normal cruising speed; and
(b)
one dual cross-country flight of a duration of not less than 90 minutes flown at normal cruising speed and which includes a full stop landing at a point other than the point of departure.
(2)
Notwithstanding the provisions of sub-regulation (1), in the case of an applicant with extensive experience as the holder of a pilot licence, issued in terms of Part 61, or the holder of a class rating or type rating by name for conventional microlight aeroplanes, the hour requirements and the cross-country requirements may be relaxed at the discretion of the flight instructor who conducts the skills test, referred to in regulation 62.05.5. The dual instruction hour requirement may also be reduced in the case of an applicant with extensive experience of hang-gliding.
:?: :?:
So is it a case of, when your instructor thinks you good, go test??

Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to where I can find study material for the WCM theory of flight theory exam.

Many thanks
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Part 61 to WCM

Postby Tumbleweed » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Phone RAASA, ask to speak personally to Pierre or Willem and get it from the horse's mouth and then share with us all.. :)
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Biggles of Africa
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Biggles of Africa » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Ok, from the horses mouth, so to speak.
Spoke to Willem at RAASA and the story is as follows.
To convert from Part61 license to WCM, the following experience is required;
1) 10 Hours Dual instruction
2) 5 Solo Landings and take offs
3) Flight Test
Instructor can waive the cross country at his discretion.
Two theory exams need to be written, these being ATG and Theory of flight (Trikes)

Hope this helps somebody.
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:04 am

If he already holds a valid part 61 licence (PPL or better) there is no need to fly a cross country, what would it prove? That he can navigate? Other than speed, navigation is no different in a WCM than it is in a fixed wing or a gyro, not so?
Biggles of Africa
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Biggles of Africa » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:34 pm

Gyronaught, you are dead right, X-country to be waived at instructors discretion. (^^)