Conversion Day

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Conversion Day

Postby KFA » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:02 pm

Was just thinking. Looks like there is always somebody somewhere looking for a conversion on something, it might not nessesarily be urgent. It could be someone like me or Rv4ker who just wants to add types to his lisence.

So my thought were along the lines of orginizing a get together day just for conversion training at a central flying school. Everybody flies in and makes his plane available for somebody else who is there with a plane to do a conversion. The idea is that you give me your plane and I will give mine for a conversion. This way you could theoretically get a couple of planes on your lisence without too much sweat in 1 day. Do not know if this is a practical idea. The instructors might be a problem?? Just a thought. Any ideas????
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Conversion Day

Postby Jean Crous » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi Stefan i like your idea,but, what if most fly in with Bushbaby and Explorers :?: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards
Jean
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Dobbs
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi KFA, I think that you proposal certainly has merit, however, hopefully I don't sound too much like a killjoy, my thoughts are, firstly I believe you are right in terms of instructor's availability, and secondly, and more focussed towards safety is that you do not want to create an impression that you could go home after a flyin with a couple of extra conversions in your logbook. A conversion onto another aircraft should be thorough, and the instructor should ensure that you experience all phases of flight in the aircraft which should include a numer of circuits, stalls, short field landings, short field take offs and familiarization with any idiosyncrasies which the plane may have, and of course go through a thorough pre flight :)
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:10 pm

I am in. Unfortunately insurance on RV does not allow for that but Cub or Bush Baby....
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:10 pm

I was thinking more in the direction of more experienced pilot's and instructors getting together. Dobbs's statement has merit and I was not implying to have a new pilot with 40hr's doing 3-4 conversions in one day but for okes with 500hr's and up it is not a big issue to convert between the different types especially if you already have a couple of types on your lisence. I was also thinking that it might be a good oppertunity for instructors to get more types on their lisences which in turn makes it easier for other okes to get a rating. This whole thing could be intergrated into a fly-in event like the Tailwheels to Nylstroom one. I for one am a taildragger nut and would like to get rated on more types but getting the plane, you and an instructor at the same airfield at the same time is quite a challenge.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:49 pm

KFA wrote:I was thinking more in the direction of more experienced pilot's and instructors getting together. Dobbs's statement has merit and I was not implying to have a new pilot with 40hr's doing 3-4 conversions in one day but for okes with 500hr's and up it is not a big issue to convert between the different types especially if you already have a couple of types on your lisence. I was also thinking that it might be a good oppertunity for instructors to get more types on their lisences which in turn makes it easier for other okes to get a rating. This whole thing could be intergrated into a fly-in event like the Tailwheels to Nylstroom one. I for one am a taildragger nut and would like to get rated on more types but getting the plane, you and an instructor at the same airfield at the same time is quite a challenge.
100%. Think it can work... puff
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby avgas » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:04 pm

Let's see how we can go about this one.
Start a list with what aircraft are available and what conversion you would like.
I would like to get a conversion onto the Kitfox,Savanah, Cub J3 and a Pitts :wink:
I have on my instructors: Bushbaby,Bantam,Thunderbird,Mizer, Cheetah and Jabiru.

I am sure Cyril Manser will also help as he has lots on his license.
Real men don't have to kill a Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall