Semi Circular Rule?

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: Semi Circular Rule?

Postby Bundy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:12 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part John :)

Again, yes it is direct north south routings that will always be a bit "hazy".....communication no less important though.

Apart from my mistake in training, where I totally misunderstood this rule, (hence the topic),... I have never since had to change to 1013 QNE because 1500ft agl is about 300-500ft higher than I normally cruise... :wink:

Dont really have a good answer to your question...I can see the danger you pointed out. :?
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Re: Semi Circular Rule?

Postby John.com » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:07 am

Bundy wrote:Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part John :)

Again, yes it is direct north south routings that will always be a bit "hazy".....communication no less important though.

Apart from my mistake in training, where I totally misunderstood this rule, (hence the topic),... I have never since had to change to 1013 QNE because 1500ft agl is about 300-500ft higher than I normally cruise... :wink:

Dont really have a good answer to your question...I can see the danger you pointed out. :?
Hi Alan,

I figured there was no better person to bounce this off than Jim Davis, so I PM'ed him today and, true to tradition, Jim was very quick to respond with this answer:

"Hi John, good to hear from you.

You are quite right - in the first example, 181 and 359 puts them both at Even +500, and the others are both at Odd+500. And remember they are based on MAGNETIC TRACK.

I understand that in Israel, which is a thin NS country, this problem was so frequent that they actually moved the split round 90 degrees so that it happens on the 090/270 axis.

Jim"

So, indeed, the semi-circle rule does become a concern when flying at the extreme 'edges' of the semi-circles! ##

I hope this helps!

Many thanks to Jim! (^^)

Safe Skies! (-)

John.com
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"