New Member advice?

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Kelvin Reynbolds
Slow starter

New Member advice?

Postby Kelvin Reynbolds » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:33 am

I am about 80% way through my PPL and have about 4 hrs solo but I am getting bored and have been told that Microlites are the way to go.How does one start? Will purchase my own Trike.
I am in Jukskei Park-JHB and can fly during the week.Any advice would be welcome.

Kelvin 8)
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:42 pm

You would probably find the easist way to go is to look at 3-axis microlights. Similar controls to a cessna and you would probably be able to convert to them within a few hours. If you go the trike route you will have to do a minimum of 10 to 20 hours because they are so different from what you are used to.

There are a number of training schools here on site at http://microlighters.co.za/viewforum.ph ... d0305be368

Much cheaper and a lot of fun.
Greg Perkins
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:48 pm

Hey Kelvin!

I am in Jukskei Park too ;) own a trike - come for a flip one day and see what triking is about!

And yes, I probably would agree with morph, converting to a 3 axis should be easy for you! Getting a trike license will probably take a bit longer!

DH
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:06 pm

Or maybe easier to complete your PPL and fly the micro on your PPL.
Oddball
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Oddball » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:08 pm

Hey there, it all depends on what you want to do with your flying...

If you want to persue a career as an airbound bus-driver then continue with the PPL. Fly microlights as well so that you get some real flying in too. Fly anything that you can just to see how it all works.

If you just want to have fun and are not sure what you want to do with flying then finish the PPL anyway and then start microlight flying. The PPL is useful to fly distance if you can get your hands on an aircraft for mid distance flights (200-400km or to unusual destinations). The microlights are for fun and enjoyment - see my article in the November 2005 SA Flyer (mail me if you cannot get a copy of it- I will send you an electronic version).

I converted from PPL to trike in around 6-8 hours but I did also have just over 200 hours PPL flying.

The 3 axis suggestion is also good, but again, if you are that far into the PPL then finish it; as far as I am aware you can use 50% of the micro hours to keep your PPL current- and you will do a lof more micro flying than PPL since it is way cheaper. Remember- trikes and 3 axis micros can be addded as type ratings to your PPL.

To summarise
PPL - career and getting from A to B type aircraft
Micro - fun

Oddball
A lone impulse of delight drove to this tumult in the skies...
Huey-1
Heard about flying

Per hour?

Postby Huey-1 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:56 am

Can one do a PPL (What is the actual abreviation for a PPL for Gyroplane/copters?) at a monthly rate, say an hour a month, or is it not advisable?
Beat the Air!
Oddball
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Oddball » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:23 am

You can do it once a month, but, your learning curve is very shallow as you have to re-learn a bit of what you did last month each time. This means that you will take longer to get the PPL. I did it this way and it took me 2 years to get my licence (55 hours flying time).

If cash is an issue then start with the MPL type flying- later in life you may have more cash the microlight experience will still stand you in very good stead as you do the additional hours and exercises required for a PPL- and you get to fly in the meantime
A lone impulse of delight drove to this tumult in the skies...
Dre'man
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby Dre'man » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:48 pm

I started PPL and am now flying Trikes, cantrary to what I was expecting I actualy prefer it.

Go to any local airfield and chat to the guys, everyone is keen to give advice. let an instructor take you for an intro, you wont be sorry. If you don't enjoy you can go back to trashing the checkbook on PPL.
Flying below power lines on DS650X
And above in nothing
"Too much power is just enough"