Instructor Limits

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Instructor Limits

Postby Gyronaut » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:28 pm

I have always believed an instructor may not do a flight test with a student who has done more than 3 hours dual training with that instructor. Am I wrong?

Can anyone of you clever people here advise me where to find the law/regulation with regard to the maximum number of dual hours an instructor may have flown with a student preventing him from doing the appropriate flight test? I have searched part 62 and can't find it.
(**)

Thanks

Len
andrepieterse
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Re: Instructor Limits

Postby andrepieterse » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:03 pm

Yes, its under TS 62.04.5 in the CATS.

Regards
Andre
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks Andre

In respect of Gyro's, It appears there is no limit (at least not in part 62) to the number of hours flown with an instructor preventing him from doing the skills test.

62.06.05 Skill test
62.06.5 (1) An applicant for the issuing of a type rating by name in the category
gyroplane shall have demonstrated to the holder of a gyroplane flight
instructor rating, the ability to perform as pilot-in-command of the gyroplane the
procedures and manoeuvres as prescribed in Document SA-CATS-FCL 62, with
a degree of competency appropriate to the privileges granted to the holder of a
recreational licence.
(2) The applicant shall undergo the skill test referred to in sub-regulation
(1) within 90 days of passing the theoretical knowledge examination referred
to in regulation 62.06.3 and within the 60 days immediately preceding the
date of application

I am not sure where I heard it or who told me but I was of the opinion an instructor could not perform the skills test if he had spent more than 3 hours dual training the student. Is this therefore incorrect and an instructor CAN perform a skills test on his own student?

Klink nie vir my reg nie?? If so, then so be it but I would appreciate your learned comments guys (or girls).

Rgds

Len
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:51 pm

Louis van Wyk has pointed out the relevant section of the Technical Standards to me! Thanks Louis [as 'n man sy goed ken dan ken hy darem!!!!], I was only looking in the Regulations it seems.

It is a FACT that an instructor may NOT perform the skills test if he has been involved in more than three hours of instruction with a student! This applies to conventional (subpart 4), weight shift (subpart 5) and Gyro's (subpart 6).

CATS 62
Skill test
TS 62.06.5
PRACTICAL TEST OF KNOWLEDGE OF PROCEDURES AND FLYING SKILLS
(a) An applicant for a recreational pilot licence to be issued with a type rating or class rating for gyroplanes must demonstrate his skill in the following procedures to an appropriately qualified Recreational Flight Instructor (gyroplanes) who had not been involved in more than 3 hours of instruction with the applicant:

There you have it! Lets stay legal and fly safe!

Thanks again Louis