Logging of flight time - different classes

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Gerber
Thinking of flying

Logging of flight time - different classes

Postby Gerber » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:14 am

Hi all

I've posted this on Avcom also, as well as phoning two airschools who are/have been doing NPL and PPL training, as well as RAASA and CAA, but am still none the wiser... :!:

Situation: I'm a comm pilot who has recently done his LSA Class C Instructors. I hope to start instructing soon, but don't know how I'd log the hours. Do I log the LSA hours towards my total Comm time, or seperately? What if I go onto gyros also? Different logbook and total time, due to rotorwing?

Seems to be a huge grey area.......

Please advise!

Gerber
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Logging of flight time - different classes

Postby Wargames » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi Gerber,

Just my 2c. If you have more than 20 hours on a LSA or MPL aircraft, CAA will credit you with 10 hours towards cpl and atpl. If have have more hours, they count for nothing in CAA books (Not even in experience gained). So why keep them in the same logbook?

My advice would be to have a logbook for your PPL/CPL/ATPL, another for NPL and gyros, and if so, a different one for helicopters. At the end of the day it just make for much less hassle to calculate the actual hours flown towards which license, and nothing is holding you back to have more than 1 logbook.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Gerber
Thinking of flying

Postby Gerber » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks Wargames, those were the lines along which I was thinking, but was wondering if there was anything in he regs about it ('coz I haven't found anything :!: )
Just found it interesting that there seems to be a grey area, but then I guess it can be expected as Part 62 comes online...
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Gerber wrote:Thanks Wargames, those were the lines along which I was thinking, but was wondering if there was anything in he regs about it ('coz I haven't found anything :!: )
Just found it interesting that there seems to be a grey area, but then I guess it can be expected as Part 62 comes online...
CFI at fisantekraal advised me to keep seperate logbooks for trike and ppl. I don't think he would have given the advice if he didn't know the law.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:33 pm

I had a huge issue with CAA two years ago when I kept two logbooks, PPL and Microlight. I was told by CAA that your flying experience is flying experience and and that your logbook must represent your total flying hours in all dissiplines and that it must follow in date order. When you do your summary then you split them into the categories. What I have done is put my logbook on Easyplan and it sums the flying up nicely whenever I want to.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
windswept
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby windswept » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:25 pm

my 2c worth...

I am also a ATP with a NPL. Two seperate logbooks. Helicopter license is also a seprate logbook and license. However, Total time means total time of ALL licenses. You can't fly 1000 fixed wing, 1000 NPL, 1000 Rotorwing.. Well thats my understanding of it anyway.

Remember that a flight test in one does not renew all.

People get confused about the hour allowance given when converting one license to another, but that is only for initial.
Watch out - Here I Come!
Aquilla 503 DCDI no longer :(
Go Bulls!!
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:07 pm

You can accrue 100 hours on lsa type aircraft, towards a com lic, if the hours are flown on a ppl lic, so obviously, those hours must be shown in your ppl logbook.

I have always kept two logbooks, but am now hour building towards com in my ppl logbook, even though I have plenty of hours in my mpl book.?????

Big grey areas!

Lm
Still Flying
Gerber
Thinking of flying

Postby Gerber » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:09 pm

Appendix 62.24 - RPL Logbook, shows fields for LSA, CCM, WCM and Gyros, almost the same as single and twin time in Part 61. Therefore I'll be logging all Part 62 hours in this logbook, and all Part 61 in my other logbook.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:32 am

Hi Gerber,

I see Mary Stephens of CAA answered your query on Avcom by saying, "You may use one logbook; however this might prove to be very impractical, it may be better to separate the logbooks."

As an ATP, I was told years ago I could log my gyro hours in the same logbook as my Boeing hours. With Easyplan it makes it easy to separate the gyro hours from the other fixed wing hours when it comes to summaries, so I continue to use one logbook.

Kind regards
Glenn
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:51 am

As I said before, I had one log book in which I had my PPL hours in the front and my Trike hours at the back, then on renewal I got lot's of flack from the powers that be at licencing and was told to keep one logbook in date order to represent my TOTAL flying time irrespective of category. I then started to fill all my hours in sequince and did the Easyplan thing. I still have one logbook and once a month I just transfer all the hours to easyplan and it gives me a complete summary of all the dif types I have flown and I set it up to split the categories, like three Axis and weight shift as well as PPL and LSA. Works for me.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
powerfly
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby powerfly » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Try this for the NPL logging of time. Prit out a few and keep it as your logbook.

http://www.raasa.co.za/images/PDF/Apend ... FORMAT.pdf
Noel McDonogh
World of Wings Flight School
Umkomaas Airfield
info@wowflight.co.za
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:58 pm

KFA wrote:As I said before, I had one log book in which I had my PPL hours in the front and my Trike hours at the back, then on renewal I got lot's of flack from the powers that be at licencing and was told to keep one logbook in date order to represent my TOTAL flying time irrespective of category. I then started to fill all my hours in sequince and did the Easyplan thing. I still have one logbook and once a month I just transfer all the hours to easyplan and it gives me a complete summary of all the dif types I have flown and I set it up to split the categories, like three Axis and weight shift as well as PPL and LSA. Works for me.

Got into same K@K. Used to log MPL, (trike and 3 axis) from back and PPL from front. Told to do all in 1. So ditto on the Easy plan for my summaries.
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died