Using NPL to fly trikes?

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Using NPL to fly trikes?

Postby Trikenut » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi All,
I was wondering if you can do an NPL and use it to fly trikes?
For the okes like me, that would like to fly both trikes and 3 Axis planes, an NPL would be perfect as you would not have to do a whole other licence to fly a LSA.
Also, how does this differ from the MPL. Hours, exams etc.
Finally, I presume that, even though it is a National Pilot Licence, you can still use it to fly outside of SA? On expeditions etc.
Thanks,
Ross
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
WillemG
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: Using NPL to fly trikes?

Postby WillemG » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi Ross.

You can fly a trike on the NPL

If you want to convert to a Weight Shift Microlight from a current 3 axis license, you need to do the following:

- The hour and cross country (consisting of three legs) requirements may be relaxed at the discretion of the instructor.
- You however must complete 10 hours dual flying on type
- 5 solo take offs and landings
- Principles of Flight for WCM exam is required (online from an approved RAASA exam centre)
- And a skills test with an instructor

You can use the NPL to fly outside the RSA borders.

Hope this helps.
Give me a call should require more information.

Willem Grobbelaar
011 827 9330
079 349 8946
willem@raasa.co.za
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Trikenut - MPL does not exist anymore. now when you recieve a license it is called NPL. Within The NPL there are 'ratings' and those ratings determine which class of airplane you fly.
They are
WCM - weight shift controlled microlight - so this is what you get if you did your license on a trike.
CCM - Conventional control microlight - 2 or 3 axis controlled fixed wing microlight - total all up weight under 450 kg. Stuff from like a mac cdl through to bantam/thunderbird etc.
LSA - light sport airplane. 3 axis controllled fixed wing up to 600 kg max all up weight. - Bushbaby/cheetah/jabiru 160/jora/JK05 etc etc.

Now if you have got an LSA you can fly LSA and CCM but not trike. AS willem pointed out you have to do that rating if you want to fly them and there are minimum times and requirements between them. But trust me - you won't likely go from trike to LSA in 10 hours - they are very different animals. Of course if you have the rating you still have to do a conversion onto each different plane you want to fly inside that class.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info. vhpy
So basically what you are saying is that MPL no longer exists and the NPL is used to cover all types of aircraft with an All-Up-Weight of 600KG or below, including trikes, LSA etc.
I have a few more questions:
- What is the minimum number of hours you have to do to get an NPL on a trike? With the MPL it was 25, is this still the case?
- Have any of the regulations changed with the on-set of the new licencing? Ratings etc.
- Have any of the exams changed? Air law, Nav etc.
- I take it that the minimum number of hours you have to fly to get a LSA rating when shifting from trikes is 10 hours. Is this correct?
- Can you get a night rating/instrument rating on an NPL for a LSA?
Thanks for all the help, I'm just trying to see what is in store for me as I progress through my training and how these new laws work. I'm trying hard to figure them out! ## ##
Thanks again,
Ross
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:29 pm

Trikenut wrote:Finally, I presume that, even though it is a National Pilot Licence, you can still use it to fly outside of SA? On expeditions etc.
Unless there is an existing agreement with the foreign country's CAA, you will need to apply for permission to fly in their airspace. This applies to both the licence (NPL) and the aircraft (NTCA), as neither is an accepted international standard.
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:44 pm

Yes Ross - the regulations changed somewhat and yes the exams are now written online and everybody writes the same standard exams - not each school having their own exams as before.
There is no night or instrument rating on NPL.
Go have a look at www.raasa.co.za - all the new part62 regulations are on there and they are pretty comprehensive.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:54 pm

Thanks guys...