A Lot to Learn.

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Rollercoaster
Looking at the sky

A Lot to Learn.

Postby Rollercoaster » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks to this site and all the posts ( which I read at work) I plucked up the courage to go for an introduction flight on a trike. My wife also went for a flip. That was that, booked my first lesson for the next day and every day thereafter. (Big mistake). I managed to do a total of 8 hours in as many days. Which brings me to the reason for this post which I hope might help someone who is considering doing the same. Take it slower. You can do your licence in 25 hours ie: 1 hour a day x 25 days.. no problem (so I thought) One needs time to absorb the information and training. Every time I went up I realised just how much I still need to learn and that I would like to repeat the previous days lesson. How did the rest of you manage to do it….I don’t know. You might be able to fly the “kite” in 25 hours and get your licence, but I think it is going to take a lot longer to be a pilot.(much longer for me) Hats off to the “ou manne” on this site who offer advise and guidance. (for free).

Secondly I was surprised by my wife’s reaction who almost insisted that I start the training. I now promise that I will never try and sell or swap her on ebay again. vhpy

I have one question which I would really like some advise on. When the instructor demonstrated a stall my stomach and the rest of me all climbed into my throat. How do I overcome this feeling. (I hope not by practising stalls all the time)

For someone who knows zero this is my 2 cents worth.
Born Free.....Taxed to Death
Tracer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: A Lot to Learn.

Postby Tracer » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:29 pm

Excellent post RollerCoaster,

What worked for me, was doing 2 hours, maybe 3 hours a week training. That way I had time to reflect and absorb what happens.

My 2c, and it worked for me.

I have to say that when I went to the flight school first time, Flo realised that I have made up my mind that I want to fly and he then went on to set my wife at ease. She now enjoys flying with me, usually vhpy .

Yeah, the stalls. I actually learned to "enjoy" them. They are essential to practise, so that you recognise the tell-tale signs in order to allow yourself time to correct the situation.

Other than that enjoy, don't put to much pressure on yourself and prepare for every flight you do.
Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Mogas » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:53 pm

Welcome Rollercoaster
If you stick with it, I think you will realize later on that a lot of your discomfort with stalls stems from a fear of the unknown.
My advice to new pilots is to read up all you can about what makes your wing fly and when it will no longer fly. Sounds simple I know but ensure you have a thorough understanding of how a wing stalls and regains flying speed and it will go a long way in removing the fear factor.
Enjoy the ride.
Mogas
Nottaquitta
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:39 am

I agree with Mogas. It is related to the Unknown Factor. Your brain tells you that it is dangerous as you are entering into what you have always thought was a dangerous manovoer. But when you fuly understand stalls, you will not fear it as you will understand how easy it is to rectify it. (Especially in a trike as it doesn't enter a spin or drop a wing... Usually)
I had a stall demonstrated to me on my into flight, and will probably turn into one of those pilots that enjoys a nice, but safe, stall! (**)
Just get your instructor to talk you through it as he does it. This can help, as when you do it, you know he's there if needs be! vhpy
Don't be ashamed though, everyone fears something avaitaion related, even pilots! And a pilot who says he has no fear of anything while flying is talking Kilo Alpha Kilo. It brings me to one of my favorite sayings: 'There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots. But there are no old and bold pilots'. (i.e. If you are bold you aren't going to get old! (**) )
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Trikenut
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:54 am

Hang in there, things make more sense as you go along and you'll never stop learning.

Where are you training?
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:01 am

A stall is not part of normal flying, and should be avoided at all costs except when you deliberately practice the stall and recovery procedure, which should be done on a regular basis by yourself or with an instructor. Don't show off stalls to pax's as a way of showing off your abilities.

The idea is never to get into a situation where the aircraft stalls inadvertantly. If you do, and if it does, then that feeling you describe is there to warn you, so you can do something about it. What will go with training and practice is the fear component. The rest you need, the feeling that your stomach is in your throat because you are loosing height radically etc.
Greg Perkins
Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Bugwar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Rollercoaster wrote: I have one question which I would really like some advise on. When the instructor demonstrated a stall my stomach and the rest of me all climbed into my throat. How do I overcome this feeling. (I hope not by practising stalls all the time)
Good advice. Another couple of things:

1) Rollercoaster is absolutely right! Your mind and body gets bombarded with new info so take time to rest and absorb the training between lessons.
2) You do not need to do your license in 25 hours. Only do your flight test when you are ready.
3) Fly around the patch for another couple of hours after you get your license.
4) Never be ashamed to ask your instructor for advice or to do some additional training.

As far as the stalls go.............it will get better :mrgreen:
ZU-EHG - Raptor

Vulture Squadron videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/VultureSquadronZA
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:39 pm

Rollercoaster

My guess is that you are going to make a good pilot.
Insightful post for a relative newbie.

9 women cannot have baby in one month! Certain things take a certain amount of time. Flying is like that. While you never, NEVER, stop learning you also cannot rush it because it takes time for some elements to become natural. Then only will you become a safe pilot. Only you can determine your pace.

Good luck with your training and you have already overcome the first big hurdle. Get your softness involved and your life will be devoid of AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) :lol:

Fly safe

Len
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:45 am

I give you the other side of the coin. My license (PPL) took 18 months, simply because of lack of funds. Problem there was lack of exposure as opposed to over exposure, some months I did only 1 or 2 hrs. I ended up doing plenty kyk weer's....., but Iives on flight sim and read plenty. It a bit of a catch 22. I would recommend a nice balance and different phases require different types of training frequency.

Initially it is huge overload. New terms, feelings, emotions & sensations over and above the usual work and family pressure. Basically you are in AWE. Deer in headlights... During this phase take it slooooow. Maybe 2-3 times a week. Read plenty. Some awesome books available and net is full of FREE info. Ask questions and don't be afraid of asking "doff" questions... More time will be invested per hr flown during this phase than any other....

Once you are comfi, then you can start speeding it up (ie more lessons a week). You will recognise this phase when your instructor no longer has the white nuckle grip on the bar. Once you go solo, try get in 2-3 sessions in quick sucession. If you go solo on Sun, next Sat is a lot of thinkining (worrying) time. When you are consolidating, do just that consolidate. That can be done in longer or more sessions in quick time.....

DO NOT RUSH IT.... Fundamentals are NB....
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Rollercoaster
Looking at the sky

Postby Rollercoaster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks to all for the advise…..I am doing my training at Microland…You can ID me just by listening to the radio calls…..I am the jojo who is always telling MicroSOFT traffic that here comes trouble…(still have to get my tongue around this new language)
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Don't know your financial situation, but consider buying a handheld radio. Just listening to others helps with understanding how, when and why.... Does not help much if you live under FAJS approach and listen to the big iron RX. Makes little sense in our small environment, but they mostly under rydaaar control...

If you can't afford that (no skaam!!!), listen on web.

http://d.liveatc.net/fagm.m3u

There are a couple others as well. FADN I think, but agin beeeg bliks. You will be able to go to rand in your trike...

Weekends are busy and you can download history as well. Chows bandwidth sometimes, but well worth it. I usually log on just before leaving for the field. Gives me QNH, traffic, who in tower and feel for active runway and TX pattern..... Sometimes not that clear from the aeries, but you will get the idea. As you listen to the broadcasts use a google map to try to "build" a mental picture of the traffic based on where the guys are reporting. You will hear you are not the only ouke who is warning microsoft traffic about anything. I often get cleared to land on the heli pad, and I have called finals 35 when on 11 and got balls in a knot when they ask for info in different order to what is usually asked or what I expected .... All make mistakes. Do not be afraid to make them and always try to correct them.

I try to rehearse what to say to me beforehand. Try it in your car. I used to use gears in my car on highway as triggers for reporting. First gear would be take off checks or rolling 36 after take off left hand out remaining in circuit, 2nd would be rolling down the runway (temps and pressures in green, airspeed increasing, RPM in green, temps and pressures etc), 3rd turn cross wind (breaks U/C, power (TPM), lean, flaps etc), 4th left hand down (Microsoft traffic Win 7 is left hand down runway 36, touch and go) , 5th Finals.... Repeat every time I went in car (mostly onto the highway since you never get 5th in peak hr traffic). It helped pass the time and I think my radio work (at least my understanding of it) improved..... Helped especially on way to airfield since I was already thinking flying when I got out the car....

Live the dream and ENJOY it....
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Rollercoaster
Looking at the sky

Postby Rollercoaster » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:48 pm

I have been reading the posts about whip stalls, thermals, downdrafts and updrafts. This is scary stuff. I also read some other stuff explaining all the above in more detail. If I am correct the whip stall is unique to weight shift.
With the above in mind does this make weight shift more dangerous than three axis and gyro. Does three axis and gyro have similar situations which are unique to them. Which of the three are the least dangerous. How did you decide which one was the one for you.

Sorry for all the questions at once but would really appreciate some guidance with this. I am still training and have only got 8 hours on weight shift. If I need to make any decision now would be the correct time to do it. Thanks
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

A Lot to Learn.

Postby John Young » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:20 am

Rollercoaster wrote:If I am correct the whip stall is unique to weight shift.

With the above in mind does this make weight shift more dangerous than three axis and gyro.
Not true - chat to your instructor.

You need to go way outside the "envelope" to induce a whip stall.

Have fun and fly safe. !!!!

Regards
John ZU-sEXY
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
topflight
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby topflight » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:59 am

Personally I think that a wip stall came from aggressive flying. After a stall occurred, don't push and pull aggressively on the bar this will increase you changes of having another stall that will progress into a whip stall eventually.

I am still in training only a few solo hours to go...I am now 7 months busy with training. I think the best way to do your training is over a longer period....you will get more experience in a safer environment with the instructor on board. I had some bad days and luckily the instructor was on board to teach me the correct way of handling the situations. The best advice that I can give anyone is to stay alert, now your environment and ENJOY EVERY SECOND :!:

Save flying.