"ex PPL" to MPL

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
Errol
Pre flight checks done

"ex PPL" to MPL

Postby Errol » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi guys

I had a PPL back in the late 1970's with approx 120hrs pic night rated restricted radio operators licence and qualified to fly C150 C172 C177 C182 Warrior and Rallye Robin. However since then - nothing - except thousands of hours as an armchair pilot supposing my skills have more or less left me what will I need to obtain a MML (trike) or fixed wing
Thanks
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: "ex PPL" to MPL

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Tue May 05, 2009 9:25 am

It is now called NPL. Depending on what you want to fly - trike - 25 hours - fiwed wing microlight 25 hours and LSA 35 hours minimum. 6 subjects written on-line and a class 4 medical is what you will need.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue May 05, 2009 9:31 am

You never loose your hours, but you will have to redo your exams. I'm not sure if they will force you to do the whole 25 hours. I have had friends in the past with similar experiences and traiing and they have only needed to go solo.
Greg Perkins
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Tue May 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Morph wrote:You never loose your hours, but you will have to redo your exams. I'm not sure if they will force you to do the whole 25 hours. I have had friends in the past with similar experiences and traiing and they have only needed to go solo.
Airlaw states that if your lisence lapsed by more than 5 years, you must redo all. Flight time + exams.

Welcome to flying addicts group. Soon you'll have aids as well. Now you can't say you were'nt warned.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
extra300s
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby extra300s » Wed May 06, 2009 9:13 am

AIDS Wargames? You are still happily married... So what is the secret? Fly with a condom on :lol:
Take to the sky
ZU-CBI
Aerotrike Scout
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed May 06, 2009 6:34 pm

extra300s wrote:AIDS Wargames? You are still happily married... So what is the secret? Fly with a condom on :lol:
No Extra, just keep the wife happy :roll: :roll: l-v l-v
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Optic
Signed up at flight school

Postby Optic » Thu May 21, 2009 1:18 pm

I contacted CAA as I am in the same boat, landbound for the last 6 years, answer as follows:

Dear Sir/Madam

In terms of Part 61.03.7 (3) if your licence has expired for more than 60 months you need to comply with the initial issue requirements of PPL. You are not required to fly the hours over again, the total hours required are now 45, there are extra requirements of 5 hours instrument instruction time and solo cross country is now 5 hours not 3 as before. Those outstanding hours needs to be flown. You can fly those hours with an expired licence as you are automatically allowed to exercise the privileges of SPL.

Please find attached an extract from Part 61 regarding PPL requirements.

Regards

Neo Tigele
Manager: Licensing Administration
South African Civil Aviation Authority

SUBPART 3: PRIVATE PILOT LICENCE (AEROPLANE)

Requirements for a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane)

61.03.1(1) An applicant for a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) must-

(a) be 17 years or older;

(b) hold a valid Class 1 or Class 2 medical certificate, issued in terms of Part 67;

(c) hold at least a valid restricted certificate of proficiency in radiotelephony (aeronautical);

(d) show evidence of holding a valid Student Pilot Licence OR having held, within the previous 60 months, any of the following -

(i) a pilot licence (aeroplane) issued by a Contracting State; or

(ii) a South African Air Force pilot qualification (aeroplane); or

(iii) a Recreational Pilot Licence issued in terms of Part 62;

(e) have successfully completed the training as prescribed in Document SA-CATS-FCL 61 at an approved Part 141 aviation training organisation;

(f) have passed the theoretical knowledge examination as prescribed in Document SA-CATS-FCL 61; and

(g) have undergone the skills test referred to in regulation 61.04.4.

(2) An applicant for a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) must have completed not less than 45 hours flight time as pilot of an aeroplane of which -

(a) at least 25 hours are dual instruction in aeroplanes, which must include 5 hours instrument instruction time; and

(b) at least 15 hours are accumulated in solo flight, of which at least five hours are cross-country flight time; which must include one triangular cross-country flight of at least 150 NM, on which at least one point must be not less than 50 NM from base and must include full-stop landings at two different aerodromes away from base; and

(c) a maximum of five hours dual instruction may be in an approved FSTD.

(3) South African Air Force Pilots may apply for exemption for some or all of these requirements as indicated in regulation 61.01.9(23).

(4) Notwithstanding the provisions in sub-regulation (2) above, the experience required for the holder of a Glider or Gyroplane Pilot Licence or of a Recreational Pilot Licence endorsed with the category micro light aeroplane, may be substituted by the experience obtained to the maximum specified in sub-regulation 61.01.9(9).

Application for and Issue of a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane)

61.03.2(1) An application for a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) must be made to the Commissioner on the appropriate form as prescribed in Document SA-CATS-FCL 61 within 30 days of the practical skills test.

(2) The application referred to in sub-regulations (1) must be accompanied by -

(a) a valid Class 1 or Class 2 medical certificate, issued in terms of Part 67;

(b) documentary evidence of compliance with sub-regulation 61.03.1 (1)(d);

(c) the original documentation proving that the applicant has passed the theoretical knowledge examination referred to in paragraph (f) of sub-regulation 61.03.1(1);

(d) the applicant's flying logbook summarised in the format as prescribed in Document SA-CATS-FCL 61;

(e) the skills test report as prescribed in Document SA-CATS-FCL 61;

(f) two recent passport-size photographs of the applicant, unless such applicant is the holder of another pilot licence issued in terms of Part 61; and

(g) the appropriate fee as prescribed in Part 187.

(3) The Commissioner must issue a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane), if he or she is satisfied that the applicant complies with the requirements referred to in regulation 61.03.1.

(4) A Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) must be issued in the appropriate format, as prescribed in Document SA-CATS-FCL 61.

(5) The holder of a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) must, upon receipt of the Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane), immediately affix his or her signature thereon in ink in the space provided for such purpose.

Theoretical knowledge examination for a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane)

61.03.3 The applicant must pass all the theoretical examinations for a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) referred to in paragraph (f) of sub-regulation 61.03.1(1) within a period of 12 months and have passed the last theoretical knowledge examination within six months preceding the skills test for a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane).

Skills test for a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane)

61.03.4(1) The applicant must undergo the skills test for a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) referred to in paragraph (g) of sub-regulation 61.03.1(1) within 30 days of the last period of dual instruction.

(2) The applicant must pass a skills test demonstrating to a Chief Flying Instructor (Aeroplane) (CFI/A) of an approved Part 141 aviation training organisation or a Grade II or I flight instructor (Aeroplane) appointed in terms of Document SA-CATS-FCL 61 by the CFI of the approved Part 141 aviation training organisation, the ability to execute as pilot-in-command of an aeroplane the procedures and manoeuvres prescribed in Document SA-CATS-FCL 61 with a degree of competence appropriate to the privileges granted to the holder of a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane).

(3) The holder of a Private Pilot Licence (Aeroplane) shall have flown a minimum of 3 hours as pilot-in-command of aeroplanes in the six months preceding the relevant skills test.

(4) The skills test shall be conducted in an aircraft with a maximum certificated mass in excess of 450 kg.
Errol
Pre flight checks done

Postby Errol » Fri May 22, 2009 3:23 pm

What about the RAASA recreational pilot licence I have heard from a good source this would be the easier way to go, what are the restrictions ofconcerning this type of licence?
wildthing
First solo

Postby wildthing » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 am

To obtain a NPL if you had a PPL at some stage (Note had a PPL not halfway to getting a PPL) you would not need to go through all the requirements.
Most of the requirments fo LSA and Conventional Microlights (Three Axis) is at the discretion of the instructor, RAASA is trying to make these minmum requirements a bit easier by leaving the responsibility in the hands of the instructor to decide of the student/pilot needs aditional training or has retained enough knowledge to be alowed to renew their licence.
In the case of Weight shift or Gyro's they would need to do all the training.
These are the proposed minimums, please feel free to comment.
in the case of a holder of a national pilot licence or the holder of a Part 61 licence fixed wing where the maintenance
of competency has lapsed by more than 60 months the licence holder shall be required to –

(i) rewrite the Air Law examination;
(ii) undergo a minimum of two periods of dual training of not less than 1 hour each; and fly
at least 3 hours as solo pilot-in-command including 5 take offs and landings; and
(iv) a navigation exercise dual or under supervision of 90 minutes or more including one full stop landing at a point other than departure or final destination.
(v) pass skills test in the same category of aircraft;

Pierre
076 875 4722
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi,
I'm getting confused with all the changes. What licence would someone training on a trike at the moment (As I am) get at the end of the day? An NPL (Which I presume is a National Pilots Licence) or an MPL??
Thanks
Ross
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
extra300s
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby extra300s » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:36 pm

NPL yes Ross
Take to the sky
ZU-CBI
Aerotrike Scout