Advice on doing LSA

Questions about training in general, syllabus', requirements etc
SkyHawk
Looking at the sky

Advice on doing LSA

Postby SkyHawk » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi All

Aviation has been my life long dream and have decided I would like to get my license.I would like to do my LSA and PPL.I have always been set on going into helicopters and have got 16 hours of flying time on a R44 Robinson that a friend of mine owns.Last month I was taken up in a Bathawk and loved it and the low costs were also very appealing.Hence my reason for wanting to get my LSA.

I would like to know how does one start,how old you have to be etc.Thanks in advance
Cheers
Dylan
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Advice on doing LSA

Postby slysi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi Dylan

Welcome to the forum. You are going to love getting your NPL (LSA). If you eventually want to get your PPL then just make sure that you write the PPL exams, they can be used for your LSA and then you don't have to rewrite them later. In terms of age I think you can only get your SPL (student pilot license) when you are 16 but you can take instruction as ear as 14 (I think).

The most important thing, in my opinion, is the choice of flight school and instructor. Where are you based? We can point you to some excellent instructors.

I am busy with my training at the moment and I know you will enjoy it. Let us know if you need some more information.

Cheers

Simon
SkyHawk
Looking at the sky

Postby SkyHawk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:52 am

Hi
Thanks for the reply.Ive been reading your thread on training and am thoroughly enjoying it!I am 14 at the moment so would like to start with instruction.I live in Thabazimbi and would like to do my LSA with Komatipoort School .

Just another question,could you buy a aircraft without having your license?Im set on getting a BatHawk or a Bantam.
If you couldn't would you just do conversion to type with a instructor?

Thanks
Dylan
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:36 am

No problem Dylan. Its quite scary to think that you are only 1 year older than my eldest son :shock: :lol: Makes me feel old (**)

It is great to see that you have a passion for flying so early on though as many of us wake up when we are too old :twisted:

You can purchase an aerie without a pilots license BUT if you want to use it for training you will have to get it approved as a training aerie with the CAA. I am not sure how you would go about this but I am sure some of the instructors here can help. Perhaps you can get in touch with KFA (Stefan) here on the forum.

If I was you I would delay the purchase of an aerie until you are closer to 16. You have 2 years before you can get a SPL and subsequently your NPL so a lot can change. I have nothing against a Bathawk or Bantam but you need to look at other aeries as well. Make an informed decision much later on. It is far more cost effective to train on the instructor/schools aerie and there is much less paperwork as well. The costs of your own aerie are high, you (or your Dad :roll: ) need to take into account the capital outlay for an aerie, insurance, hangar space, fuel, etc.

Dont rush, you have plenty of time to enjoy your training. Keep us up to date with your progress ($$)
Simon
Student Pilot
SkyHawk
Looking at the sky

Postby SkyHawk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks
I think I will try and fly in a few different aeries and then make a decision at 16.
Could you recommend any LSA aircraft ?Like theJabs and plan on flying one this weekend as a friend has one and is landing at our airstrip to come and visit.Will give a report on how that goes

Thanks a lot for your posts,been very helpful
Cheers
Dylan
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:46 pm

I have ordered an Explorer :)

www.saplanes.co.za
okflyer
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby okflyer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:19 pm

SkyHawk wrote:I.... live in Thabazimbi and would like to do my LSA with Komatipoort School .
Dylan
@Dylan:
Why don't you just make a vist at Petit Airfield. Say hello to Stefan /Juan / Nicolene. Do a flip in a serious plane (Safari), and then talk with Stefan about training, planes and costs. http://www.fun2fly.co.za/
But: I have to admit, I am guilty of being unilateral positive minded towards the guys there (Alas! no commercial advantage), due to lots of good experience and all the fun I had there.
To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything." Otto Lilienthal (1848-1896) ..Wir fliegen die Strecke bei jeder Witterung! http://carbonrotor.jimdo.com/
SkyHawk
Looking at the sky

Postby SkyHawk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi
I have contacted Stefan and am arranging an intro flight.I will keep everyone informed on my progress.

I would just like to say thanks,I'm really enjoying the forum and again thanks for the helpful posts
Cheers
Dylan
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:15 pm

okflyer wrote: @Dylan: Why don't you just make a vist at Petit Airfield. Say hello to Stefan /Juan / Nicolene. Do a flip in a serious plane (Safari), and then talk with Stefan about training, planes and costs. http://www.fun2fly.co.za/ But: I have to admit, I am guilty of being unilateral positive minded towards the guys there (Alas! no commercial advantage), due to lots of good experience and all the fun I had there.
Oliver, I think we should ask Stefan for commission :)
SkyHawk
Looking at the sky

Postby SkyHawk » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi Guys
Sorry for no new posts,we have had Internet problems.As for this weekend I went flying in the Jabiru.It was loads of fun and we did a few circuits and after handing controls back the engine suddenly turned off.I looked over to see my friend pressing buttons and attempting to get the engine started.On the third attempt it roared back to life.We managed to land safely.

After some investigation it was found that there was something wrong with the magneto.It was fixed and by this time he had to leave .

I'm busy making a booking to do a flight with Stefan
Will keep you updated
Dylan
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:05 pm

We will be at the field tomorrow.....
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
SkyHawk
Looking at the sky

Postby SkyHawk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi
Sorry about the lack of update ,have been writing exams.Last day of school tomorrow (^^) Have a month off so have booked a flight today(with KFA) .I will contact you tomorrow Simon
Cheers
Dylan