Suppliers of aircraft, accessories or services
Marc G
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

HKS TBO extended to 1000hrs!!!

Postby Marc G » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Update from HKS Aviation, as of January 2009:

Extension of the TBO:
HKS700E from S/N 100600 can increase the TBO from 800hrs to 1000hrs, or an 8 year period of operation.

The HKS700E is a 60hp four stroke, oil and air cooled, 2 cylinder engine. It uses between 6 and 8 litres of Unleaded fuel per hour, and proven 4-stroke reliability. It weighs the same as a 582!

2009 Special... $6500 (US$).

Marc Gregson
082 392 3149
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: HKS TBO extended to 1000hrs!!!

Postby ZULU1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Marc, I have made patterns for a short series horizontal manifold that is similar to the factory unit but allows direct air intake from the front on a trike. Much more compact.

1000 hrs tbo is brilliant and at $6,500.00 a bargain.

I have changed to the JBM rubbers from the states and also use the Baldwins B33 oil filter. Oil changed to the Castrol edge 15-60 synthetic.

Good Luck

Paul
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
Marc G
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby Marc G » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:25 pm

That's great Paul! Does your engine fall into this serial number bracket?

HKS does supply the forward facing inlet on request, but don't seem to promote it for some reason...

Please send me some pics if you get a chance... flyingmarcg@yahoo.co.uk
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Mark, I need some performance figures for these engines. Do you have some in pdf format to send? I have some clients that have been enquiring about fitting to a BB. Might be a viable replacement for 582? info at saplanes.co.za
Thanks
Stefan
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks Mark, received the info.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Marc, my engine number is 100605 and the Aquilla at Solo wings is 100604 thats for sale, checked it today. Yep I got the 1000 hrs tbo !!

The exhaust was a concern to me so this is the end result, the cht when maximum temperature is no longer an issue. The EGT doesnt go above 1200 degrees F. I have changed the carbs settings to the same specs as the HKS horizontal manifolds (135) and moved the needles to 4th position. The motor runs amazingly cooler and smoother. I have not reset the prop and with these modifications with engine oil temps at 100 degrees C the motor gives me a full 400 rpm more. Its over revving at 6,600 rpm. I amusing the Castrol Edge 15 w-60 w which gives a higher oil pressure at 100 degrees. I will reset the prop after a few hours flight. I have also removed about 3 kgs in weight over the old exhaust and manifolds.

So the answer to BB owners is the added torque may be an advantage, if you wish to keep the cowling low, I can supply un machined manifolds at R250,00 a pair !! Fuel consumption, just fit a smaller tank...I am fitting the Optifuel device to this unit as I am writing an article for the MISASA mag regarding the performance of the device so I will have some interesting reports on both the HKS and the Optifuel.

Four strokes rock...

Zulu1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
Miskiet
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Miskiet » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:01 am

Great looking exhaust Paul!!! Is it stainless? Loud?
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:30 pm

Well it has been said that its the loudest trike on the field, BUT doesnt sound anything at all like a Rotax, more like a Ducati. At 6000 RPM it howls, awesome.. Its actually stainless and the box is a ally construction. I attached to the frame with a BMW gearbox mounting as they are pinned and safety wired. The mount bracket which is clamped via two ubolts to the down tubes. Very simple.

If you come to Ballito stop by for a look, been a great project.

Ciao Paul