Optifuel - special price

Suppliers of aircraft, accessories or services
OptiFuel
Pre flight checks done

Optifuel - special price

Postby OptiFuel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:59 am

We are selling the optifuel fuel management system at a special price.
Please visit http://www.optifuel.co.za/
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:54 pm

OptiFuel
Can I fit the system on my trike(582 Safari)?
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
OptiFuel
Pre flight checks done

Postby OptiFuel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi Nico, Yes it will work on the 582 fuel system. If I am correct the fuel system has no return line back to the tank? If this is the case you can fit the flow sensor anywhere on the single fuel line supplying the pump, or between the pump and the carbs. If you have a fuel return line back to the tank you would fit the flow sensor between the fuel accumulator/distributor(after the return feed to the tank) and the carbs.

Stephane
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:39 pm

What about aeries with 2 fuel tanks? :wink:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
OptiFuel
Pre flight checks done

Postby OptiFuel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:59 pm

Tank/Tanks, same difference. The two tanks have to be linked at some point to supply fuel to the engine.

Stephane
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:06 pm

Thanks
That they are, but I would like to know what I have left in each tank as opposed to total fuel.
4 Sale (will trade)
OptiFuel
Pre flight checks done

Postby OptiFuel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:54 am

Do both your tanks hold the same capacity of fuel?
OptiFuel
Pre flight checks done

Postby OptiFuel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:12 pm

And if they are interlinked surely they can be considered together as one big tank? If there is a control valve allowing for only tank1/tank2/both to be used then I would simply leave it on both all the time. Otherwise you would have to do mental calculations every time you switch across from tank1 to tank 2.

You would always know the total fuel left, but you would have to subtract what is left from the total at the moment of the switch over and subtract that answer from tank1's capacity at take off. It sounds more difficult than it is but it demonstrates that it can be done.

Is this the problem that you are faced with?
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:37 pm

Yip that about it. 2 tanks with selector. Left or right NO BOTH. Problem is the gauges. Left reads half it has 4/16 gals, right shows half it has 8/16 gals. At moment it simple enough as I am the only pilot and I pump my own fuel, but it may not be that way forever..... (Also when the fuel jockey rounds it off to 90 (for eg) litres instead of filling it it makes mental calc's confusing. I often fly to area's where there is no fuel and while I am conservative often I have diverted for fuel when I have had plenty.

I have looked at the Shadden systems but they are way overkill for my needs.... :wink:

PS
Would prefer one which has fuel gauges as well though... (IE I don't have to tell it how much fuel I put in.) :wink: Nice price though...
4 Sale (will trade)
OptiFuel
Pre flight checks done

Postby OptiFuel » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:37 am

It is a pity you can't switch to both, I imagine it is quite a stress knowing how much is left in each tank.

Unfortunately with light aircraft every litre counts and makes a big difference to whether you make it to your next fuel stop or not. Fuel gauges are not accurate enough to base your decisions on or for the fuel computer to know exactly how much fuel is in the tanks. If they were we wouldn't bother using a flow sensor. Having large reserves is impractical.

It will always take discipline from the pilot to know exactly how much fuel is in the tank/tanks to have confidence that his calculations are correct. In your situation you will always have to keep notes on how much fuel was left and how much fuel was put in. Even with the expensive systems they are dependent on knowing the total fuel. Getting this info from the pilot is more reliable than tank level senders.

Maybe the first step for you is getting the most accurate fuel gauges you can find, preferably something that you can calibrate yourself. If you want to continue using fuel gauges measuring in gallons , the instrument has no designation to the units of measurement. We have set up the initial calibration in Litres but after your first flight the system can be calibrated for Gallons if you wish.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to modify the fuel system to have both tanks in equalise and get rid of the switch over tap. But I guess you will have to check with the manufacturers if there are any problems doing this.

Stephane
riefra
Thinking of flying

Optifuel

Postby riefra » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:17 pm

Optifuel is a must for every pilot I had the opportunity to test this instrument in my Magni Gyro. I must say it makes a big difference to always now how many litres of fuel you have left and with the GPS linkup you also know how far you can fly without making any calculations. The installation is very simple and it is also easy to work and understand the instrument. After a couple of flights with this Optifuel instrument testing it and making sure the information it gives me is correct I can not imagine flying without it again. The special price that you can get them at now is really money well spent for the peace of mind and the information that is always available on the most important part of your aircraft THE FUEL.
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:35 pm

OptiFuel
I want one.Please sent me detail how to order.
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE