The Straydog V Rabbit antenna for QuikR

Suppliers of aircraft, accessories or services
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

The Straydog V Rabbit antenna for QuikR

Postby ZULU1 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:26 pm

As a result of Big G and Straydog development work we have finished the development/tooling of the Vee Rabbit for the Quik R, this is Demons unit and will sent tomorrow. The ally casting and location on the rear of the wing has helped its performance and actually out perform the standard Vee rabbit.

zulu1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Re: The Straydog V Rabbit antenna for QuikR

Postby Grumpy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:25 am

Positioned on the back of the wing This is about as close as you can get to the motor. I was lead to believe the antennae should be as far away from the motor as possible to avoid interference, please explain this to me. If this works, I also want one.
Thanks
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Yes they can collect interference if close to a motor if lets say not correctly set up. I cannot take any credit for this as Straydog and Bib G did the work. I was surprised and impressed with the final results.
Anyway as you are probably aware a antenna has to be matched to the frequency, this is called SWR (Standing Wave Ratio). In most traditional antennas the 1/4 wave monopole whip antennas require a large ground plane to perform well. Great on tin planes.
They work fine but without a ground plane can be good receivers of noise and also transmit poorly.
The Vee rabbit was designed in the outset to overcome the difficulties of a reasonable performance from a trike radio. I may add the initial reason was the rf ingress dispensed from the Garmin 296 at close range. As you correctly state "we moved it as far away from the noise source" and it fixed the problem. At that stage we never intended improving the performance as that was of secondary lets call it "benefit".

The Vee rabbits supplied in South Africa are perfectly matched to perform at the optimum of 124,8 mhz with a wide spectrum over the entire bandwidth as a dipole and in a Vee configuration they are almost perfectly balanced to 50 ohms. So when you press the PTT they send everything out and no ground plane is needed as the dipole performs the function. They were designed for halfway up the King post.

As I stated above, the installation on the Quik R seems to perform perfectly so all I can say is yes it works !!

I am sure Demon will be testing the unit fully as he has even better test gear than I do.

Cheers Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
BOATCH
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby BOATCH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:56 am

Is this antenna suitable for the 3 axes and what is the price
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:27 am

Yes sir we do make them for fix wings, the difference is they are NOT assembled as each owner/installer has a different way of mounting them so we supply the bracket un drilled and unpainted with fastenings and marked accordingly. This is a picture of a unit fitted to a X Air based in Eire. Linked to a Filser radio. Ex works R795,00.

Cheers Paul