Need some help on Shadow Microlight

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Green tree
Heard about flying

Need some help on Shadow Microlight

Postby Green tree » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:31 pm

Hey Guys

I want to know if you can maybe help me with some things I dont know.I bought a Microlight about 3 months ago, called a Shadow Trainer,basically the same as the MAC CDL. Its a Tandem single surface wing with the spoilers on top, so basically a 2 axis plane.I want to know by law what instruments must be fitted to the plane?I have a radio and a 2 place intercom. The plane last flew in 1997 and was in bad condition when I bought her, done some work on the engine , that runs perfectly now. I want to know if I can do work on the plane personally and just let a AP sign it out, or must all the work be done by a AP?

Then I would like to cover the bottom part of the wing , remove the spoiler and fit her with ailerons, to make her a genuine 3 axis microlight, can this be done and what steps must be taken??

I am based in Bloemfontein, but wil take the plane to anybody that can help me to fix her. I am a Comercial fixed wing and Helicopter pilot, so if Im correct I only do a convex to the plane??

Thanx for a great forum
Green tree
flyboy_blue@yahoo.com
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Re: Need some help on Shadow Microlight

Postby Griffin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi Green Tree
Welcom to Microlighters. I don't know much about the Shadow Trainer but I do know that many of the Quick Silver microlights, that have the same spoilers system, were converted to three axis. Some of them are still flying.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9184

This plane that div, on this forum, sold recently was modified by Donald WIlliamson to full three axis. Donald lives in the Cape and manufactured all the components for the conversion. Div or some one on the forum may be able to get you his details or point you at some one who can help you.

Good luck and let us know how you progress. How about making a posting on projects??
mario.kruger
Pre flight checks done

Postby mario.kruger » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:07 am

HI Green Tree.Try phillip v.Niekerk 0822588618 in Bapsfontein(east rand) has done it before
good luck vhpy
fly o yes FLY
salem
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby salem » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi Greentree

I still fly the MacCDL. I would not recomend covering the bottom of the wings (if I understood you correctly!). Doing so will give the wing extra lift and extra speed and this will add stresses to the airframe that it was not designed for. Be very careful in making such radical changes without taking expert advice.
ZS-VFZ