New HKS Turbo Engine

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

New HKS Turbo Engine

Postby grostek » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:57 am

Hi All,

Found this on the web

http://www.apsu-hks.com/HKS_APSU_-_HKS_700T.html

Looks like we will have turbo HKS 700T 2cylinder 80Hp engine available spring 2009.

Would love to know what the cost will be.

Output looks very similar to the version developed by Zulu1 in KZN.

Local version may be lighter and cheaper?

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek
Last edited by grostek on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
atom
First solo

Re: New HKS Turbo Engine

Postby atom » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:42 pm

well if the std hks is in access of 10000 usd than i am sure they will not be too lenient with the turbo version
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:49 pm

Hi all,

Found some operating costa per hour of the HKS 00e vs the Rotax 582.

http://www.greenskyadventures.com/Engin ... ompare.htm

Reading their web page I found fuel burn for the 700e listed at 2.5 Gal/Hr then 2.38Gal/Hr then 3.2Gal per Hr.

Has anybody here in SA done any fuel consumption calcs over a 50 hour period?

As it stands now buying this engine will save you money in direct operating costs vs other 2 stroke engines of similar power.

Anyody out there with fuel consumption figures?

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek.

PS The TBO has been upped to 800 hrs and will probably be upped again as more engines get into service.
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:03 am

Gunter, The figures are totally correct, my motor burns solo about 7 litres an hour solo. Varies due to ambient.

I installed a efi unit and achieved 83 hp with little efforts, but it gets very complicated as a retro fit. I was only looking for a few more hp. I have finalised on making (casting) small ally manifolds. These now face forward in a trike and allow direct airflow in to the motor. similar to the HKS standard horizontal manifolds. Not unlike Weber 40 DCOEs on a Ford motor. Problem with the HKS manifolds as they are long, is that they change the centre of gravity and move the motor backwards. Not ideal. Also a straight thro tuned exhaust length. Very similar power to a 582. Also we have the patterns to produce in quantity. I have to do my proving flights, most probably in Ladysmith early next month and will let you know. I would imagine the HKS own design motor will be awesome, just dont like the intake position for a trike though. The standard HKS also draws air from behind the prop which I dont believe is ideal. Tractor will be fine.

I am using Donaldson Blackwing air filters for my installation, they are a upgrade on the K&N as well as the new JBM carb rubbers from the states. These are harder than the original HKS/Rotax912 units. The idle of the HKS is rather rough to say the least. Hopefully this will fix it.

A GT450 with this motor would be awesome as the weight is drastically reduced to a 912. They say TBO 500hrs and will improve with experience ? I like the turbo as you still get 80 hp at altitude, so for Jhb will be a very neat package.

For those that are unaware of HKS, they are probably the worlds leaders in after market turbo/tuning equipment for Japanese vehicles. Especially the Nissan Skyline GTR and similar Fast n Furious vehicles. No self respecting street racer doesnt have a HKS product...or a sticker.

The turbo motor introduction should not be taken lightly, this has potential. I would never buy a 912 now after flying the standard unit. Their service is awesome.

I quite like the idea of a Cheetah with this motor personally....

Zulu1
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:26 am

grostek wrote:Hi all,

Found some operating costa per hour of the HKS 00e vs the Rotax 582.

http://www.greenskyadventures.com/Engin ... ompare.htm

Reading their web page I found fuel burn for the 700e listed at 2.5 Gal/Hr then 2.38Gal/Hr then 3.2Gal per Hr.

Has anybody here in SA done any fuel consumption calcs over a 50 hour period?

As it stands now buying this engine will save you money in direct operating costs vs other 2 stroke engines of similar power.

Anyody out there with fuel consumption figures?

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek.

PS The TBO has been upped to 800 hrs and will probably be upped again as more engines get into service.

You can contact Roy on eaglei@iafrica.com he deals for HKS on the SA market he is from Eagle Eye Aviation. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi Zulu1,

Thank you for the info.

I look foreward to the results of your testing.

I think you may be rather busy after publishing your test results.

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek.
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:01 am

Gunter,

do you know the rand price for this engine?

have you find out the warranty on it?

john
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:15 am

There is some discussion on the HKS forum regarding the new 700T motor, apparently they will be offering upgrades to various stages without turbo, ie efi, then turbo efi and then the full blown turbo intercooled version. The compression ratio is reduced to 8.8:1 and a Garret turbo !! (Not a HKS ??) The major questions being posed are as its intercooled the power output at density altitiude. As yet no answers have been forthcoming !! Also moving the standard 700e to 1200hrs tbo.

I dont like the $16k dollar asking price for the 700T though...first units 500hrs tbo..you have to be wealthy and hardcore to buy that option..

Gunter maybe take a look at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HKS-engines/message/1853,

I have been on for a while as zulu1 (but dont visit it). Also some very interesting links to upgraded ignition systems. The HKS standard twin coil pack is prone to the small trigger cables breaking as they enter the moulded housing, There are some replacement Hardly Dangerous units available. Worth fitting from new I would say. Mine are OK after the first ones fell out and I made a nice bracket.
http://www.nology.com/profiremotor.html

Also other brands of air filters and other items that Rotax owners dont need to worry about. It seems that the forum doesnt have reliability issues and little discussion of same. Worth a read...

Zulu1
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:40 am

Hi Zulu !,

Thankyou for the links

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek.
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Has anybody already tested the new HK turbo in SA?
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:44 am

Has anybody bought or ordered this new one or are you all in a Credit Crunch
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:46 am

johnsa wrote:Has anybody bought or ordered this new one or are you all in a Credit Crunch
Mr johnsa sir, What do you fly? and from where?
Cheers
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:31 am

Grumpy wrote:
johnsa wrote:Has anybody bought or ordered this new one or are you all in a Credit Crunch
Mr johnsa sir, What do you fly? and from where?
Cheers
I am at Schiphol at the moment! When I am in SA its Lanseria or Tedderfield. I am in full stress because Boet is making me doubt (**) if I should by the JK-05 or not I have to make up my mind JK-05/Topaz or a Safari when I return. In the mean time I am dreaming of a Ravin 300/500 but softness don't wanna hear from that because she consider that as an other toy that I hardly use...if you consider the investment. Than I can better hire one when I want to fly according to her. So it will be a LSA....but maybe when she is not looking I can get away with it.........
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:28 am

Gunter, I attach a picture of the P and M GT 450 with a HKS 700e motor, that means they will be fitting a turbo when it becomes available next year. The HKS 700 e motor as you will see in the picture has the carbs mounted over the motor behind the prop. Negative pressure area. HKS make horizontal manifolds but they would make the motor sit too far back and upset the weight distribution. I attach a picture of my similar manifolds that I made and cast but they are at a greater angle allowing the carbs to have a almost direct intake of air behind the Aquilla seat. (I have the patterns available for anybody who wants a set) I would imagine the plumbing on the T version will be hectic. I am looking forward to the GT450 HKS 700 T with great interest.

Cheers Paul
Attachments
HKS quik.jpg
Carb intakes horizontal and direct air flow in, shorter but hopefully no torque loss !!
HKS quik.jpg (99.16 KiB) Viewed 7807 times
HKS Aquilla.jpg
Carb intake standard behind the prop and long manifolds for tractor installation.
HKS Aquilla.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 7812 times
IBAAV8R
Slow starter

Postby IBAAV8R » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:35 pm

I would be interested in a set of the short intakes for the 700e. Should anyone know where I might purchase a set please advise.