Maintaining a Microlight - Tips

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Maintaining a Microlight - Tips

Postby Morph » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:23 am

Since buying a 10 year old plane that has 500 hours on it you would expect to do a fair bit of maintenance. Me, I'm very hard-headed and will not just fork out money for expensive spares and services. So I tend to remove the offending item myself and go and look for someone to fix it.

So these are the things I've fixed on AUKie the last 6 months, bearing in mind the age and most of these should have been replaced by now.

Reduction drive bearings X 4 - Bearing Man R85 total, R50 labour at Engineering works to press the old out and the new in (don't try hammering them out not worth it.
Starter Motor - Full service R250 - still not right :evil: finally repaired it myself R0

Front fork bearings (happens to use the same kit as a bicycle :shock: :!: ) R44 for the full set at the nearest bike shop

Intercom gave in - R4000 for a replacement :shock: Opened it up myself, found some loose wires and viola no-cost. :D (They are actually very simple devices and any electronics/video repair company could repair them

Front Tyre - R67 - Turfmaster
Noticed Front wheel bearings are a bit rough - Bearing man - R57, R 0 labour.

Two Stroke Oil - used to use Castrol Super Outboard at R39 per liter
Bought Castrol Super Chainsaw from Castrol at +/-R9 per 500ml
Last edited by Morph on Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Perkins
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Re: Maintaining a Microlight - Tips

Postby kb » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:53 am

Morpheus wrote:Front Tyre - R67 - Turfmaster
Is that from one of your contacts in he gardening service industry :?: :roll: :?:
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Maintaining a Microlight - Tips

Postby Morph » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:07 pm

kb wrote:
Morpheus wrote:Front Tyre - R67 - Turfmaster
Is that from one of your contacts in he gardening service industry :?: :roll: :?:
[0* ## ........Here we go again........ :wink: :D

Kb I actually had a moment of insecurity when I saw the tyre and it said "Not for Highway Use" and "Nylon on the side. But when I took the original off the plane it said the same, so I am quite comfortable with it's use for the next 500 hours, and I might be able to get the grass cut at the same time. :wink: 8) :D
Greg Perkins
Chaz
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Bwahahahahaha

Postby Chaz » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:26 pm

Love yer comment KB. Contact in the garden service industry wahahahahahaha :D :D :D :D :D :D

So we have a ultra wif a turf master tyre flying around. Morpheus keep a lookout for a set of magwheels for my Cobra please something in the line of TSW wif yokohamas or pirellis :D :D :D :D

Your's in Flying 8) 8)
Chaz
On a "WING" and a "PRAYER" (C.W.A)
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Bwahahahahaha

Postby Morph » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:17 pm

Chaz wrote:Love yer comment KB. Contact in the garden service industry wahahahahahaha :D :D :D :D :D :D

So we have a ultra wif a turf master tyre flying around.
Another Comedian ## [0* :wink: :)

Chaz follow this thread and you'll see where his comment comes from :D 8)

http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=782
Greg Perkins