Rotax "new"maintanance schedule

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Rotax "new"maintanance schedule

Postby Leprachaun » Tue May 06, 2008 10:51 am

Hi Folks , good news at last , the new schedule is out at last. (^^) (^^)
There are a coulple of issues to be noted , but its liveable. **
1 the engine needs to be inspected via the exhaust port ever 150 hours ## and check for sticky rings and excessive carbon build - up .Should you have carbon thicker than 0,5mm you need to decoke as if you have sticky rings. **
The same at 300 hours , etc till the overhaul at 600 hours xxx with a crank and component examination with a wear limit of 60% for replacement. xxx
The entries need to be in the logbook , ## if it was not done previously , I would suggest you do it now asap. ##
The owner of the plane need to sign an agreement that he / she accepts the new schedule which is available from Niren at Aviation engines. puff
I think Niren, Mike and their lawer need a great thank you from all the Rotax users out there , ^ ^ as you guys dont know the amount of work and effort done to get this one through, Well done guys and thanks from all an all . :mrgreen: (^^)
Get the new shedule asap as it has variation on the different engines , 503 , 447 , 618 and 582 , but a great step forward indeed, Leprachaun , "flying cause I want to and not beacause I have to "
:lol:
Attachments
Maintenance Schedule (3).pdf
(12.18 KiB) Downloaded 1694 times
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Rotax "new"maintanance schedule

Postby LarryMcG » Tue May 06, 2008 3:41 pm

Well done, and many thanks to ALL who contributed in this effort, especially aviation engines.

LM
Still Flying
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Tue May 06, 2008 3:50 pm

Interesting:
20. Engine types 447 and 503 - initial overhaul only required at 750 hours thereafter every 300 hours
Engines types 462, 582 and 618 - initial overhaul at 600 hours and therafter every 300 hours
Engine type 532 - initial overhaul at 300 hours and thereafter every 150 hours
Notwithstanding the requirements of Rotax documentation, crankshaft renewal shall be required
only if 60% of wear limit is exceeded or other indicators for renewal are present
A maximum of 10 years is allowed between overhauls.
All engine related rubber and plastic components to be replaced after 10 years of operation.
In all cases the latest version of Rotax documentation should be consulted for further information or guidance
NOTE: If the engine has the crankshaft replaced at the recommended overhaul time, the next
overhaul will be as if the engine is new (ie. For a Rotax 582 at 600 hrs)
A maximum of 10 years is allowed between overhauls...

Does that mean that an engine that has done less than 300 hours, but more than 10 years must be overhauled regardless of condition???
-justin
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Leprachaun » Tue May 06, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi Guys , its great news that the schedule has been released, I paid a visit to CAA today and the guys asked for a liitle more patience before the great rush as the AIC has not yet passed their desks and no number has been listed as such .
I have been promised just a liitle more patience and all will be over - onec again thanks to the staff at Aviation engine and CAA who assited to get this prickly issue resolved - Leprachaun - xxx
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Tue May 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Leprachaun wrote:The owner of the plane need to sign an agreement that he / she accepts the new schedule which is available from Niren at Aviation engines.
Alex, do we have to go to AE to get this agreement or will the AP have it with him. Please clarify a bit :?:
Will it be part of the paperwork to be submitted to CAA or is it just an agreement between AE and Owner :?:
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Leprachaun » Wed May 07, 2008 7:19 am

Good question, I have resolved the matter with the 3 wise men at CAA , who are busy wording the document , once available , it will be put on the net- available to all an all to ensure that we speak and write the same lingo, Leprachaun
JACO
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby JACO » Wed May 07, 2008 9:03 am

1. Signing the agreement is no problem,
2. Who can / must inspect the engine through the exhaust port and make the entry into the logbook ? The owner yourself, or someone from Aviation Eng ?
3. Thanx Thanx Thanx to all the people involved !!!!
4. After Niren's "last" post, and angry feelings, I think he should come back to the forum and read all the thanx we have for all their hard work !

Thanx all
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Leprachaun » Wed May 07, 2008 9:51 am

Hi Jaco , an approved engine builder/ AP who has done the course can do it for you . Those of you who have done the Rotax courses could do it as well .
Leprachaun (**)
JACO
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby JACO » Wed May 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Looking at the new schedule, and comparing it to the old schedule I have and use, There are thing I don't understand, For example :

New schedule only states : "Check Ignition System" every 150 hours,

Old schedule said : "Check ignition timing" every 50 hr
"Check contact breaker gap" ever 75 hr
"Check ignition damping box" every 75 hr
"Check ignition timing (only breaker plug)" every 75 hr
"Replace contact breakers and condenser" every 150 hr

What happened to these, or do we still carry on with all the other items not listed on the new schedule ? Also, These : ( every 50 hr according to old schedule )

Chech roundness of cylinder
Check axial play on piston ring
Check piston diameter
Check piston ring gaps
Check cylinder diameter
Inspect cylinder head and piston crown
Inspect piston ring grooves
Inspect piston pin and bearing

Thanx For All The Hard Work ....
Aviation Engines
First solo

Postby Aviation Engines » Wed May 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Firstly, Thank you for all the positive sentiments and I am glad that we have finally reached this milestone. I know that Mike Blyth and Aeroclub are still working on making further changes to the regulations, which, I have been told, is a long term matter. I would also like to thank certain persons in the industry, you know who you are, who have always remained positive and supportive in this matter.

AP's who have up to now been servicing and repairing your engines for you have been invited to attend a Heavy Maintenance and Overhaul course for the 2-stroke engines. On completeion of this course they will need to contact the Aeroclub to have it included in their AP licences. This will then allow them to continue to service and/or repair your engines and sign it out in accordance wiht the latest regulations. please contact the Aeroclub and/or CAA for further information about this.

Any APs wanting to attend the course, please send me a message - tech@aviation-engines.co.za or call me on 011 455 4203. Dates have been confirmed for the 22 & 23 May, to be held in Bedfordview, Johannesburg.

To answer some of the questions:
The current documentation from Rotax does not include the older point ignition engines, but yes the inspections are still required as stated in the Rotax Repair Manual for engine types 462/532/582, the same applies to 503 point ignition engines. Please contact me directly should you require exact information or a copy of the mentioned manual.

The Alternative Maintenance Schedule make reference for each line, to the relevant chapter in the Maintenace Manual, read it! For a more detailed inspection and/or troubleshooting fo the ignition system, I do have avaiable a form which details the resistance measurements, ect, send me message - tech@aviation-engines.co.za - requesting the form and we will send it it you, I will also make it available on our website in the next few days - http://www.aviation-engines.co.za/rotax.asp

The inspection through the exhaust port cna be done by the owner and does not require any special skills, or ask your AP for assistance
I understand that CAA are asking for a written statement from the owner that he accepts the Alternative Maintenance Schedule eg. I, Mr _____________, hereby accept the requirements of the Alternative Maintenance Schedule for Rotax 2-Stroke Engines as approved by the SACAA and that I will comply with it fo rthe maintenance and inspection for my aircraft..............................You will have to check with CAA if this is acceptable.

Unfortunetely, I just don't have enough time to check the forums regulalrly enough, so please excuse me for this and e-mail me directly with any questions.
Regards
Niren
Aviation Engines & Accessories
Aviation Engines
First solo

Postby Aviation Engines » Wed May 07, 2008 6:18 pm

I forgot to mention that a copy of the Alternative Maintenance Schedule is also available on our website
Regards
Niren
MADDOG
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby MADDOG » Thu May 08, 2008 9:39 am

A BIG thank you to all involved in getting some sense out of this issue.

Thank you - we do appreciate your efforts.

I guess my hobbs might stert working again :wink:
Aquilla the Hun
Aviation Engines
First solo

Postby Aviation Engines » Thu May 08, 2008 9:49 am

I have been told by CAA that although the Alternative Maintenance Schedule has been approved, it cannot be implemented until the AIC has been released, which is expected soon, please contact CAA for further information.
Regards
Niren
Ian
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Ian » Fri May 09, 2008 5:24 pm

Just goes to show what can be done vhpy

These Gents saw the glass half full (pos outlook), took on the challenges and stuck to their guns xxx

Many, many thanks

Cheers ian
ZU-CDW - Shark
First solo

Postby ZU-CDW - Shark » Sun May 11, 2008 1:32 pm

A VERY BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE ROLE PLAYERS WHO HAVE INVESTED SO MUCH TIME AND EFFORT IN ORDRE TO RESOLVE THE CRANK ISSUE.
(^^)
Kind regards

Jacques
Shark
ZU-CDW