Doin the Washin!

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Junkie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Doin the Washin!

Postby Junkie » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:22 pm

Now ive got this beautiful brand new sail on the trike, Id like to keep it that way, so i got to wondering if my usual method of cleaning or removing any stains was still ok
... especially getting rid of those damned freeking birdshit! stains (**) [0* #-0 and i can k@k myself when the little bastards dump one of those little purple nightmares on it, then a really get pissed.... :twisted: :evil: :evil:
With the old wing it usually entailed dropping the wing and giving the sail or affected areas a scrub down with a hand brush and Ajax soappowder and afterwards a thorough spraying down to rinse all the soap out.
9 times out of 10 got rid of the stains

:?: anybody have a better way or suggest products to use eg. is it safe to use any of the stain removers on the market (Preen, CleenGreen, etc) without damaging the sail or stitching and ideally without having to resort to the full wash & rinse cycle AND wait for that sunny day to do the wash & hang out the Laundry

Yours in anticipation
Bored House"wife'

This is not an Advertisement
:lol:
J.U.N.K.I.E 's
Finest used aviation parts in all the Universe
No credit / No returns
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:41 pm

Put ceiling in hangar :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:46 am

You should not use any kind of detergent on your wing. This weakens the fabric and you loose some of the UV resistance.

The manufacturers recommend that you only use a pure soap (such as that green block of sunlight soap)

Also, if I were you, I wouldn't use any acid (such as lemon juice) or bleach (jik) on the wing.

Best put some shade cloth under the beams in your hangar to foil the jealous little small-winged creatures' evil plans :evil:
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Re: Doin the Washin!

Postby kb » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:11 am

ianrw wrote:anybody have a better way or suggest products to use
1 shotgun for sale - any offers?
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:56 am

FairyF's comments above are true..

See, housewives know best :D

Let's speak to Pepper, our resident exterminator - he also deals with the rats.

At Klipriver, we have owls in the hangars, jeez, you know when one of those things have a dump :shock: and/or up-chuck :shock: **

I moaned to Johan Nel there and he just said "well, you must fly more often" :roll:
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:58 am

What about Mr Min. I use it to "dry clean" both my bike and my plane. Grime just wipes off, especially oily gunk on the prop and empennage.

On bikes it removes bug splatter from the windshield and chain gunk from the rims. Brilliant stuff

Otherwise a shotgun is a good alternative to root out the cause :D
Greg Perkins
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:00 am

ACE wrote:FairyF's comments above are true..

See, housewives know best :D
I think you will be in skygod's good books for eternity if you can turn me into a house wife :lol: :lol: :lol:
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:07 am

Fairy Flycatcher wrote:... you will be in skygod's good books for eternity if you can turn me into a house wife :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ooops, that should have read "MD, The Boss, Chairman of the Board, Chief Pilot, and bearer of kids", have I missed anything ? :D
Orville
Pre flight checks done

Wash day

Postby Orville » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:47 am

I use a little wap high pressure cleaner, it works wonders and takes about 10 minutes to clean a whole wing. Uses very little water too.
Wow does this not sound like we are turning into a bunch of houswives ourselves. :oops: :oops:
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:47 am

What about engine cleaner?
Guzz
First solo

Postby Guzz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:50 am

The best thing for the job can be bought at any Game or Macro..... It's a little tub with a big label.... "Elbow Grease"! :lol:
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Wash day

Postby Morph » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:53 am

Orville wrote:I use a little wap high pressure cleaner, it works wonders and takes about 10 minutes to clean a whole wing. Uses very little water too.
Wow does this not sound like we are turning into a bunch of houswives ourselves. :oops: :oops:
Just be careful you don't suddenly remove your numbering etc. Years ago my dad worked for an industrial cleaning equipment company. One weekend he brought home a high pressure steam cleaner. Being the normal inquisitive type I am I tried it out on my cars engine and it worked brilliantly. So to thank the old man I decided to clean his work's bakkie. How was I to know that the sign-writing on the door would wash clean off :shock: :?: :oops:
DH wrote:What about engine cleaner?
Some guys use Prepsol. You're supposed to spray it on leave it a while and rinse it off. I've tried it and it doesn't work that well, and will stain aluminium if left on too long. Good old Mr Min again (it really is brilliant on any oily grime) or brush paraffin on with a small brush and wipe it of with a cloth.
Greg Perkins
Junkie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Junkie » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:10 pm

The Hangers got cielings and the little "shits" still find a way in and DIVEBOMB our planes :?

..anyone got a spare NUKE lying around so i blow the litlle muther fokkers all the way back to kingdom cum
:twisted: :evil:

I think im just going to rig up a cover to drop over the wing from the roof - saves all the effort of washing the wing down

Thanks for the "varied" input :lol:

Yours dearly
Liberated "housefrau"
J.U.N.K.I.E 's
Finest used aviation parts in all the Universe
No credit / No returns
Pepper
Signed up at flight school

Postby Pepper » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:58 pm

I have gone over to the green side chaps and I must say it's the rite thing to to, please don't be ugly to our little featherd friends, they just crap when the need comes and is not intensional.

Here are a few examples to keep our friends out of your nasty hanger.

1 Build a nice bird bath outside and make sure the have running water and fresh food.

2 Build nice cosy nests for them on the outside but under roof, make sure cats and snakes can't get to their nests.

3 Be kind to our friends, if you see one lonely little bird in a tree, walk up to it and speak to it, explain to it to stay out of your hanger.

4 If a young friend falls out of its nest gently pick it up and put it back in the nest, remember what goes around comes around and that bird will never crap on your wing, never.

Hope this will help all you nasty's to turn good, like me :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Pepper on Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:32 pm

pepper wrote:I have gone over to the green side
You should have seen this one coming,,,

A GREEN Pepper

:D :D :D :D :D :D

sorry I've shot this topic to hell :!: