Hirth (and Simonini) 2-cycle engines

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
ZU-JVR
Found a flight school

Hirth (and Simonini) 2-cycle engines

Postby ZU-JVR » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:24 am

Hi all

Been on Avcom for a while, but a newish member on Microlighters, so the 100 + posters, beware!!!!

Posted this question on Avcom, but I suspect there may be more fliers here that may relate, or have relevant knowledge / experience.

Question is this - any local experience on Hirth 2-cycle engines for NTCA use? I'd like your (I know - it's all subjective & likely to open a can of sick worms ...) opinions. Have had one or 2 so far - not yet completely unbalanced.

Then also - same question on the Eyetie Simonini 2-stroke jobbies? Would like to hear your version/s on these ...

Intended use - Bushbaby & Sonerai.

Johann
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:41 pm

One of the guys at WCMC who has a Rans S10 has just installed the 3cyl fuel injected 100HP Hirth Motor. He does full loops etc with it and so far is very happy with it.
Greg Perkins
ZU-JVR
Found a flight school

Postby ZU-JVR » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:29 pm

Morpheus

A-ha, just what I wanted to hear! (A good report for a change) Would that RANS not perhaps be a RANS S-9 Chaos - ZU-ROY, or is it a S-10 that he's had for a while? ? We were SERIOUSLY considering the RANS (S 9), but in the end the Sonerai just won (mostly cost?) Be that as it may, that's how I got to hear (from AirScrewed on Avcom) that ZU-ROY (ex up North) recently landed up in Cape Town ... just wondering ?

I'd like to stay in touch on this one. Just started with the Sonerai (as in - the plans are on the way...), so it'll be a good few months before we get to the final engine choice. Fule injected 2-stroke sounds like it's just what the doctor ordered ... lack of inverted fuel / oil ( a la converted VW) issues solved in one fell loop :twisted:
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:30 pm

I can tell you he is impressed with the motor, runs smooth, has huge power for the climbs cruises well. I'd estimate he's got 20 to 30 hours on it now

It's definately this s10

His brother also bought the same motor and is putting it into his Kolb. Can't tell you the progress
Greg Perkins
ZU-JVR
Found a flight school

Postby ZU-JVR » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:58 pm

Morpheus

Man, that's a nice looking aerie! I love the S-9's (and the S-10, make no mistake!) - S-9 was waaaay ahead in the race for a long time in our venture, but eventually (at least for now) the Sonerai 1 won (mainly on cost, I guess, but that's what makes things turn, isn't it?)

Would be keen to keep track of their progress & so forth - any chance of getting contact details? Be appreciated.

Thanks

JVR
FAWGie
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Hirth (and Simonini) 2-cycle engines

Postby FAWGie » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:55 pm

ZU-JVR wrote:Hi all

Been on Avcom for a while, but a newish member on Microlighters, so the 100 + posters, beware!!!!

Posted this question on Avcom, but I suspect there may be more fliers here that may relate, or have relevant knowledge / experience.

Question is this - any local experience on Hirth 2-cycle engines for NTCA use? I'd like your (I know - it's all subjective & likely to open a can of sick worms ...) opinions. Have had one or 2 so far - not yet completely unbalanced.

Then also - same question on the Eyetie Simonini 2-stroke jobbies? Would like to hear your version/s on these ...

Intended use - Bushbaby & Sonerai.

Johann
The SA agent for Hirth Engines is "Warren James"....call him on 083 997 9814..

I'm sure that he can help you.....
ZU-JVR
Found a flight school

Postby ZU-JVR » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:04 am

Thanks FAWG Pilot. Just wanted to also get a few "end-user" opinions into the equation.

JVR
FAWGie
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FAWGie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:23 am

ZU-JVR wrote:Thanks FAWG Pilot. Just wanted to also get a few "end-user" opinions into the equation.

JVR
Warren is more of and end user who landed up with the agency...He is also an AP.....
ZU-JVR
Found a flight school

Postby ZU-JVR » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:34 pm

Oh OK, that puts a different spin on it! I will give him a call. Thanks for the info!

JVR
Quicksilver
Thinking of flying

Re: Hirth (and Simonini) 2-cycle engines

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:39 pm

i just saw this old post- the new agent for Hirth in South Africa is Louis Jordaan 0845562414. info@quicksilveraircraft.co.za (^^)
Louis Jordaan
Quicksilver Aircraft South Africa
http://www.quicksilveraircraft.co.za
sales@quicksilveraircraft.co.za
Cel 0845562414