Clean fuel and not better filters

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Hazzard
Ready for the first flight

Clean fuel and not better filters

Postby Hazzard » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:59 pm

I have been following a conversation regarding the fitting of an additional pump and filter system on the technical side of this chat forum. While I acknowledge that there is merit in fitting additional equipment, I have seen no comments from the GURU’s on the issue of filtering the fuel going into the tank. In my younger days I grew up in Swaziland and my Father flew a Piper Pacer. All fuel delivered came in drums and it was standard practice to filter, both through filters and a chamois before going into the tank. When my father saw me filling my trike the other day he was horrified to see how casual we were.
My question is this. Are we too dependent on the current technology to save us and, or, have we become too complacent when filling the tank. On our last trip down the Transkei we bought a few 150lt drums of petrol. One of the drums had about 10lt’s of water in the bottom!!
Junkie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Junkie » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:16 pm

Always try to always buy fuel from same station, especially a busy one. When away, your advice is most definately important to follow

Of interest, have switched to unleaded since the rebuild and no sign of any water or performance issues
J.U.N.K.I.E 's
Finest used aviation parts in all the Universe
No credit / No returns
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Re: Clean fuel and not better filters

Postby kb » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:31 am

Hazzard wrote:On our last trip down the Transkei we bought a few 150lt drums of petrol. One of the drums had about 10lt’s of water in the bottom!!
One little bit of useless info from me - in a case like this when you are unsure, rather leave the last bit at the bottom of the drum - and use it to light the braai, or make torches to line the runway for "evening "landings.
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
IFLYHI
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Re: Clean fuel and not better filters

Postby IFLYHI » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:14 am

kb wrote: and use it to light the braai, or make torches to line the runway for "evening "landings.
Obviously you referring to the Black Label add.
No it does not glide- it FLIES