Petrol Pump

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Robin Hood
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Petrol Pump

Postby Robin Hood » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:27 pm

How would one know when a petrol pump intends giving up the ghost? I mean, besides listening to that terrible quiet noise while desperately searching for a decent place to put down? Does it give any warning signs? Difficult starting etc.
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:01 pm

You are a candidate for for a stand-by electric pump.

See http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=309

I just bought a Facet pump from autozone for R215 - money well spent..

I don't believe you get too much warning from what I have heard from others.
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
Robin Hood
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:36 am

Dammit Ace that looks like the answer. I will rush out and get one this morning!! Thanks
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:30 am

The warnings I got was the plane started misfiring, and loosing revs. By the second time (probably .5seconds later :shock: ) I had already switched on the electric pump and then smoothly pushed the throttle all the way open. Within a second or two the motor settled down, it took me a while longer :shock: :shock: .
Greg Perkins
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:01 pm

Word of caution - look at the pump model stamped on the feet - took me a while to find it. 40105 is the model you want... the other
DH - I have been told that the mechanical pump cannot handle more than 2-3 bar pressure on it from the Facet pump. I have since discovered that there are several different models of facet pump with some of them being able to supply up to 9 bar pressure. The kit that I got from the auto shop is the 40242 kit which contains the pump as well a two hose fittings. The pump itself is the 40105 model which only delivers about 3 bar so should be fine for this application. Just check the small print on the box - the pump might end up doing more harm than good!
The box has no print, it is stamed on the mounting "feet"