Trike info

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Trike info

Postby avgas » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:44 pm

Hi all
I need some info regarding trikes as I am a fixed wing pilot and that is all I understand.
I need a trike that can fly slow land short on dirt strips and can lift 2.
What is the capability of handling wind and cross wind?
Take off and landing distance? roughly as I need to build a runway as well.
I also do not want to spend a fortune. First I was looking at a T-Bird but you guys influenced me into looking at trikes.
I am not going to use the trike for long journeys as it does not have enough seats for all my family. I just intend using it on the farm and locally.
What is the pros and cons of Safari,Windlass, Aquila etc.
Please don't confuse me with all the fancy types with weather radar and EFIS etc
When buying a trike what should I look out for.
Remember I do not want to spend a fortune but then again I dont want to die due to a crappy buy.
Thanks
Avgas
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:31 pm

That is the million dollar question. i b watching this one with some interest... :lol:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Trike info

Postby John Young » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:47 am

avgas wrote:What are the pros and cons of Safari, Windlass, Aquila etc.?

When buying a trike what should I look out for?
Sometimes simple questions need a "book of an answer". These are two examples. :roll:

I will PM my cell number to you - better to discuss. Here you will get just one opinion which you must test and retest. :idea:

As a starting point, you would need to establish 503 or 582 versus personal need and budget. You may be one awesome large dude with a bone structure close to King Kong and you little boetie as pax may be even bigger. At 5 000 ft AMSL you could end up eating fences and trees with a 503 at noon in 32° C ambient. :shock:

The three broad price ranges are -

Windlass (503) in good condition (high hours) - R 50 000

Aquilla 503 in good condition (approx 300 hours) - R 75 000

Aquilla 582 in good condition (approx 300 hours) - R 100 000

Regards
John ZU-CIB
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:49 am

Hi Avgas

I am a trike pilot and that is my first love so take this from where it comes. With a trike unless you are willing to spend R100K + you will be restricted to good WX days.

A thunderbird or any 3 AXIS will allow you all day flying in WX that with a trike is possible but not very nice or comfortable. If your purpose for the aircraft is fun yes a trike is the way to go, if you are going to be taking off at mid day and doing patrols over your farm then i would rather go with the thunderbird, it is built like a brick shit house, it is very tough and flys stable in any weather.

Do yourself a favour go fly in the middle of the day in both types and then make your decision.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Massimo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Massimo » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:32 am

For me nothing less than 582 motor. Dont want to be restricted to coast or highveld conditions. 582 does both with a smile. :D
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:49 am

Also now with Part 24, if buying second hand, it would be wise to carefully review the maintenance records to ensure that all scheduled maintenance has been performed. If not - you could end up with a hefty bill when you are lumped with the cost of getting the aircrafts maintenance up to date.

Also dont limit this review to the engine only. Some trike airframes do have time expiring components.
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby avgas » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks guys.
I will ask the relevant maintenace related questions when I see one that I like. But in the meantime the conversion seems to be a drag. Especially for me living in them sticks.