Radio Procedure

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Radio Procedure

Postby Wart » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:43 pm

Following a topic raised in Hangar Talk, how about input on the theory and practical side of radio procedures for general flight and looking at both controlled and un-controlled airfields.

As I am doing the Radio Exam on Wednesday this would add to what we have been taught (and I must compliment our ATC who took the course) and what actually is used in practice.

Who's first?
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:02 pm

To whom, Who you are, Where you are, What your intentions are eg.
Traffic in the XX area, microlight(not always neccessary) ZU-ABC, currently 1500' overhead the Engen One stop, Routing from aaa to bbb, any traffic be advised.

Saldanha Traffic (use this instead of Traffic in the Saldanha area when you are specifically talking to planes in the circuit or on the ground at the airfield), ABC, Approaching the field from the East at 1500', joining overhead in 5 minutes for full stop landing.

Once overhead and seen the windsock
Saldana Traffic, AUK, overhead the field at 1500', will descend on the dead(some people don't like the word dead so east/west/north/south, the side not active) side and join lefthand circuits for Runway 20, Full stop landing.
Greg Perkins
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:26 pm

Just to add to the above. Please give your QNH setting on the alti. It can vary greatly given the distances some blik aeries fly. If you are operating low level include altitude as well.

Also if the transmission you are receiving is not clear on your radio the chances are quiet good that the traffic is far away (may not be case for some handhelds, but you will start to guage the strength vs the distance and altitude especially if very low). Do not repeat yourself every 2 mins. Some of the freq's are used very widely (124.8 &124.4) and when at higher altitude reception is good and often there are 3-4 guys transmitting at same time but 100km's away from each other. (I often get bfn traffic when 300+km away)

PLEASE USE A CHAT FREQ. If you are going flying with your Chom, PLEASE agree on a chat freq before the time or in air. If you oukes are chatting low level you may not think there is anybody else on the radio, but higher up it blocks the airwaves. Universal chat is (I think) 123.45, but can use any which is not designated freq. The higher freq tend (130+) be lesser used than those between 118 & 130.

Make sure of your freq's. Certain area's have designated freq's other than 124.8. I been guilty of this when flying with 2 comms. Make sure you are transmitting on correct freq before you press the PTT. I have laminated cards with the routes/aera's I fly regularly where there are freq changes.

my 2c

PS
I use
VFR Traffic - Special Rules West, RVF a vans RV4 (or trike or cheetah, bush baby or Windlass etc) From Rand to Vaal River overhead Engen (blockhouse) 10 miles north FAVV, routing southbound along R59 at 6500' on QNH 1025 - RVF. (Not necessary to ask conflicting traffic to respond - if conflicting they will respond)

Try to keep chat to a min ( :oops: I often don't, but it not right). Broadcast intentions every time they change or there is traffic to affect. Remember in congested areas (specifically special rules) there are numerous other flying objects (trikes, 3 axis, blik's, students who don't have a clue, fast glass, twins, helo's, vehicle trackers, cops, military etc) all sharing the same space and some of these may not be familiar with for eg the Engen or the river or the R59 intersection, the resivor on the hill :shock: etc, so try to be specific in relation to a aeronautical beacon or reporting point. (NRST function on the trusty Garmin) Once it is established that there is conflicting traffic more details can be broadcast.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:58 pm

Also,

When you change frequencies, repeat the call. i.e. from Morning Star to a Blouberg coast there you change from 124.8 to 124.4, to 125.8 in a matter of 10 minutes.

Call just before the change, something like
Traffic in the Morning Star area, AUK, overhead the airfield at 2000' routing in a westerly direction towards Blouberg, changing frequency to 124.4

Now change. Remember the folks on 124.4 have not heard you at all and have no idea you are there so a detailed message This time the area is called Delta 200 so
"Traffic in the Delta 200, AUK, West of Morning Star at 2000' routing in a westerly direction towards Blouberg.

5 minutes later the change to 125.8
"Traffic in the Delta 200, AUK, overhead the R27 at 2000' Routing to Blouberg and changing Frequency to 125.8"

Change frequency and full call again
"Traffic in the Blouberg Area, AUK, overhead Westbeach at 2000', routing in a northerly direction along the coast towards Melkbos"
Greg Perkins
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby kb » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:54 pm

My Radio work, is something like this.
"ALL traffic on 124.2, I'm now in the air. All SAA / BA flights, keep clear, you are big, and if I hit you, it's gonna hurt. to those clowns in circuit, best you keep your eyes peeled, cause I don't actually know my N from S. I have no idea where I am, or what alt I am at, cause my alti is broken, just have not had time to fix it yet. By the way, there is a get together tonight at XXX if anyone is interested. Did you see thewhale, about 3 mins flying time south of, agg man, what's that little seaside town called???" Seriously now, I had someone say to me the other day, that you don't need to say "any conflicting traffic, please respond - cause if they are in the way, then they will / should say something.
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think a bit of humour is not always a bad thing...

I was flying the other day when the skydive aircraft called " climbing through to flight level 95, overhead that expensive place in the forrest at 2000' "

(Around here we all know it as Zimbali or some call it that expensive squatter camp :) )

I really had a good giggle, and it made the offshore more bearable.

Neville is one of the PPL Instructors around here. Always in the GFA. It is great when he calles "Hallo Annie" or greets one of the other pilots. I feel right at home!
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living